News:

• May 22, 2024, 11:36:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AEROSHELL what is it good for?  (Read 2644 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
AEROSHELL what is it good for?
« on: December 20, 2014, 08:47:14 AM »
     Hi All:

I found a stash of quart containers of AEROSHELL oil that I bought to be used in making Diesel fuel.  This is what we used in Old Country for our model Diesel engines.  It appeared to work very well.

I have two questions: Is it safe to use in model Diesel engines in lieu of castor oil? Perhaps a blend of Aeroshell and castor would suffice.  Can it be used in a glow engine? Again a blend of Aeroshell and Castor Oil would suffice.

Any thought about using this oil in model Diesel and glow engines?

Tia,

Frank

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: AEROSHELL what is it good for?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 09:02:16 AM »
I think that's just some old school synthetic oil. Put it in your lawn mower.

MM

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 10:12:57 AM »
What weight is it? I doubt that it will mix with castor. Very few other oils will outside of a few synthetics. Also aircraft oil is not rated the same as auto oil unless they have changed. In other words, 120 weight is really 60 wt., not unlike comparing transmission grease to motor oil. If your Aeroshell is heavy wt. it should work fine for making diesel fuel or mixing with gasoline for spark ignition. I could be wrong on some or all of this though, and maybe others will chime in and either confirm or not.
Jim Kraft

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 10:24:15 AM »
     Hi:

Thanks for the replies.

I bought this oil at a small airport and was told that it was the only oil that was used in the piston engines that powered small airplanes.  I do remember that in Europe, Aeroshell was used by many model Diesel engines.

Motorman: What makes you think that Aeroshell would be a synthetic?

As a youngster, I remember mixing 70 weight oil with kerosene and ether to attempt to run my Deezil engine.  No, I never got the Deezil to run! Lol.  I bought ether at the local drugstore for 15 cents per ounce with no questions asked.  I was 8 years old at the time!  Today, I can not buy ether

Stay well my friends,

Frank!

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 01:42:55 PM »
   I found a stash of quart containers of AEROSHELL oil ......This is what we used in Old Country for our model Diesel engines.  It appeared to work very well. Frank

Hi. I assume the Old Country means England? Way back as teenagers we used to mix our own diesel fuel using Castrol Grand Prix, a mineral oil. Glows were virtually unknown to us. The Grand Prix was perfectly o.k. I've never heard of AEROSHELL. Who makes it? Might it be a mineral oil? Later we came to know what a great oil Castor is.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 02:35:33 PM »
The problem is I don't think castor will mix with kerosene. If the Aeroshell oil is for radial engines it should be good. Otherwise, it is probably a little thin for our model engines. I have been running Walmart Supertech regular 2 cycle oil at $1.23 for 8 ounces mixed with Coleman stove fuel in my spark ignition engines and it runs clean and cool. I have never run a diesel so I have no experience with them.

Aeroshell is Shell oil co. name for their aircraft oil.
Jim Kraft

Offline John Kelly

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 02:38:34 PM »
   ... AeroShell.com  Click Ebook... Click piston engine oils.  Cheers  John
AMA 11416

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 05:12:30 PM »
The problem is I don't think castor will mix with kerosene. If the Aeroshell oil is for radial engines it should be good. Otherwise, it is probably a little thin for our model engines. I have been running Walmart Supertech regular 2 cycle oil at $1.23 for 8 ounces mixed with Coleman stove fuel in my spark ignition engines and it runs clean and cool. I have never run a diesel so I have no experience with them.

Aeroshell is Shell oil co. name for their aircraft oil.

caster has no problem mixing with kerosene
rad racer

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 06:08:31 PM »
Thanks Bob. I learn something new on here almost daily. My experience is mixing it with gasoline. It will mix with some but not others. After shaking it up it will settle out in about 15 minutes. That is with Sig Baker AA castor.
Jim Kraft

Offline roger gebhart

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 05:47:04 AM »
Aircraft oil. Not just Aeroshell. 80=40wt 100=50wt and 120=60wt. mineral oil.  80w is detergent etc etc...  Aeroshell 15/40 might have some synthetic. At any rate they are all labeled very plainly on the bottle. Hope that helps.  rog

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 08:29:43 PM »
Thanks Bob. I learn something new on here almost daily. My experience is mixing it with gasoline. It will mix with some but not others. After shaking it up it will settle out in about 15 minutes. That is with Sig Baker AA castor.

Blendzall from the MC shop was supposed to mix with gasoline. It smelled like Nitro Benzine. I have some, but have not used it, and the plastic bottle has collapsed from shrinkage somehow. I expect the Nitro Benzine is gone by now. I have read about Blendzall recently, but it won't have NB in it. They could use something else to make it mix with gasoline, but I don't know what. When mixing fuel components, sometimes it matters which component  you add to what first, if you understand my meaning. Such as Castor and Alcohol before adding Nitro, or perhaps the same for diesel, you might need to mix castor and ether before adding Kerosene. I've made diesel fuel and glow fuel, but the diesel was when I was 15, and I don't honestly know if I paid any attention to that. But I recall ordering a pound of ether from the pharmacy at Edwards AFB, and being asked why I needed it.  ;D Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here