News:

• April 24, 2024, 08:01:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS 20FP/"new" 25LA, one more time  (Read 6196 times)

Offline Brett Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
OS 20FP/"new" 25LA, one more time
« on: February 07, 2022, 07:51:30 PM »
  So, after a bunch of questions this weekend about it, yet again, "setup instructions" for the 20FP and "new" 25LA. Maybe it is so simple no one can believe it, but run the engine stock with all the original stock parts from the OS Factory. DO NOT REPLACE ANY OF THE PARTS with "better" parts and the various Dremel-tool-and-a-devil-may-care-attitude grinding or drilling modifications.

Common advice for either engine (profile mount assumed):

OS 20FP-S ABC, 20FP-SRN (rear needle), or OS25LA-s RN ABC engine NO MODIFICATIONS OF ANY TYPE OR NATURE.
     Stock OS E2030 muffler, also stock including internal conical baffle. NO MODIFICATIONS OF ANY TYPE OR NATURE.
    APC 9-4 prop. This is the normal one with the usual APC scimitar shape. Only modification is to sand the TE with 240 grit sandpaper or similar until you can flip it forward without any chance of cutting yourself.
     Any suction tank (not uniflow, at least not to start with) where the outer edge of the tank is more than 1 3/4" from the mounting plane. Suggest Sullivan SS-4 clunk tank with "bottom" (wider) up against the fuse side
     Powermaster "Air" (basic rc sport fuel), straight out of can. 10-15% at sea level, 15-20% at altitude (for example, Tucson). The one time I ran the 25LA at Tucson, I ran YS-20/20 because it was the only 20% fuel I had. That just about made up the altitude difference between sea level and 2300 feet at 70 degrees. Other fuel (like SIG) might work as well, just do not use lots of castor oil. GMA is probably OK, Fox Superfuel IS NOT OK.

Attach a pressure line from the STOCK muffler tap to the suction tank vent. Plug the overflow with an airtight plug. You want it to run on a suction system with pressure, not uniflow with or without pressure.

Start engine, lean out to a 2-stroke, then slowly lean it out until it is absolutely as fast as it will go, and one click more makes it sag. Then, back off needle until you just get a distinct RPM drop, just a bit off peaked out in a 2-stroke. If you get it rich enough to start misfiring in a 4-stroke, even occasionally, you have gone *much too far*. This is about 5 clicks open from peaked-out lean using the stock OS front needle, about 5 clicks open using the 20FP rear-needle (all-metal on a metal bracket). It is about 3 clicks open from peaked out lean using the stock 25LA rear needle (gray metal needle in a plastic backplate mount). You do not need a tachometer, but it will be 2-300 RPM from peak.

Launch the airplane and it should get slightly richer-sounding in level flight, and then peak out in the maneuvers. If it peaks out and then sags in the maneuvers, you are too lean, open needle *1* click for the next flight, try again, until it does not sag lean in the maneuvers at any point. If it ever hits a 4-stroke, you are too rich, close the needle one click and try again.

Unfortunately, due to painful experience, YOU WILL FAIL if you make any of these modifications, so DO NOT MODIFY OR "IMPROVE" any of these items:

Venturi: The stock CL venturi is the correct size, DO NOT CHANGE IT
    Spraybar Assembly:  The stock OS spraybar assembly is the correct part, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES CHANGE IT FOR A "BETTER" type, specifically, DO NOT USE ANY OF THESE:

Supertigre
     Supertigre clone
     PA
     RO-JETT
     McCoy
     Fox
     Merco
     Stalker
     Como
     Kirn-Kraft

You name an engine manufacturer's needle, I will tell you not to use it. The ONLY ACCEPTABLE SUBSTITUTE is the Enya copy of the stock OS assembly commissioned and sold on eBay by Shtterman. Replacing the spraybar is by far the #1 most popular way to f*ck up your engine, because in addition to losing 30% of the power right off the bat, you also have to drill out the case to fit it, which means you have semi-permanently destroyed another nearly irreplacable part, and presumably the venturi, too. If you replace the spraybar, do not come to me complaining that it does not work - because I can tell you right now that it WILL NOT WORK, at least not the way I am trying to get you to run it.

Muffler - DO NOT REPLACE THE MUFFLER WITH A "lighter/better" one, DO NOT RUN A CHIP or "TONGUE" muffler. This is extremely critical, IT WILL NOT RUN PROPERLY WITH ERZATZ mufflers. If you airplane is nose-heavy, put lead on the tail, do not remove the muffler to balance it.

Head Gaskets/screws  - DO NOT CHANGE OR ADD HEAD GASKETS. In fact, don't even buy any "spares" because if you don't have any, you will not be tempted to use them. While you are at it, the 20FP comes with a very nice Allen Wrench. That doesn't mean you are compelled to use it!!!  Don't take the head off at all, do not replace the screws, just leave it alone. It is not going to come loose.   

The 25LA uses JIS Crosshead screws, they are also OK, do not remove them or replace them with "better" socket-head screws. Along with that, if you have a screwdriver from any common US manufacturer/brand name (Craftsman/Proto/Williams, etc) and use it to remove or "adjust" the head or backplate screws, you will very likely damage the screws because those are Phillips, not JIS. If you absolutely must have a screwdriver, a Vessel or Hozan #1 JIS crosshead screwdriver is the only thing you should use in the exceptionally unlikely situation that you need to take it apart. DO NOT try to really crank down on the 25LA backplate, it need only be snugged up, not gorilla-tight, and if you tighten it  too much you will either cause a leak or crack it. It is otherwise perfectly OK, until you break off the corner in an inverted crash. LEAVE IT ALONE.

You would think this would be self-evident, but apparently it isn't - DO NOT GRIND ANYTHING, CUT ANYTHING, or DRILL ANYTHING!!  Neither you, nor your flying buddies, or anyone else knows how to improve it by grinding it. Even if they did, I can assure you that if you *follow the directions*, it will be better, stock, than any other engine you and your buddies have had for the the typical 35-sized profile models like the Skyray, Flight Streak, etc.

"old" VS "new" 25LA. I know of no way to tell whether a particular engine is the "old" version or the "new" version. It may or may not follow the paint- all of the "old"/lower-performance types I have tested or have been tested by qualified observers were the original blue-paint type, and the "new" higher-performance types have all been bare, but I can't say for sure that this is a bulletproof test. Unfortunately, the only reliable test is to run it. On the stand, the "old" types will be peaked out around 12,800-13,200 RPM with a 9-4 APC, 10% fuel, at sea level. The "new" types will spin up to around 14100-14400 on the same prop and fuel. It is not a subtle difference, and please don't tell me that "they are the same", because they are not (although I do not know what the internal difference might be, and neither will you, because, again, *you are not going to take it apart*, right?). The older types are usable but not nearly as good as the "new" type, at least for stunt.

25FP - the 25FP will work, too, and is much more powerful than the 20 or the 25LA. This is almost a negative, because on the typical airplanes, they tend to be too fast, leading you to try to needle it down, which then makes it run less good than the others.

Note also that the same sort of advice applies to the 46LA - dear GOD ALMIGHTY, just leave it alone!  You buddies don't know how to improve it, either. It is extremely good right out of the box, the problem being that it, too, tends to be far too powerful for the sorts of airplanes people want to use it in. Figure it to be an upgrade to an ST46 - more reliable and much more powerful. I think Tim Wescott flies one of Paul Walkers old Bad News/Impacts which originally were designed around either the ST60, 45 FSR, or 40VF.

Brett

« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 04:22:30 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: OS 20FP/"new" 25LA, one more time
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 08:07:46 PM »
I think Tim Wescott flies one of Paul Walkers old Bad News/Impacts which originally were designed around either the ST60, 45 FSR, or 40VF.

Yes, the Atlantis (which as far as I know came between the last Bad News and before the first Impact).  I'd love to say that the combination was an unmitigated success -- I had initially thought so, and I even said so in posts here.  However, I realized over time that when the stars aligned it was fantastic, but I couldn't get it to run consistently.  Sometimes it'd be a bit too fast, sometimes a bit too slow, and sometimes -- just enough so that the other times would altogether frustrate me -- it would be heaven.

On the other hand, I've run them in smaller planes (48 to 54 ounces) and love them.  I'd certainly try one in a heavier plane, but more like 60 ounces, not 64.

If I saw someone else flying a 690 square inch, 64 ounce airplane and getting perfect flights every time with a 46LA I would not be surprised, but I would be envious.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 08:14:35 PM »
And what Brett says about the 20FP -- that.  Of the engines I've flown with in competition, the ones that stand out are the 20FP, 25LA, Tower 40 (basically a 40FP clone), a Magnum 35 (which has hotter timing than a Tower 40, and flies the same-sized airplanes), and the 46LA.  These have all been flown in as close to stock condition as I can achieve, with the exception of smaller venturies on the 46LA when I'm trying to span the gap between what a 20FP really wants to fly and what a 46LA really wants to fly. 

I've tried various older motors, and a super-duper modified 40LA, and they're not as good for serious competition.

My shop tends to be a hospice for neglected and abused equipment, so I can't follow Brett's advise about leaving things alone -- instead, I get them and put them back as close to stock as I can, and this has served me well.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 09:31:43 AM »
Brett

Sage advice, much appreciated. Perhaps a minor correction (?) in your common advice for the suction tank: Should it read “no more” than 1 3/4” from the mounting plane?

I’m also gratified to see that your recommendation for this dimension has increased from 1 1/2” if I’m reading all of this correctly.

Mucho thanks again.

Dave Mo…
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 10:39:20 AM »
   One thing that may affect things for some people is the variation in OS. needle valve assemblies. The common one most used is for the FP-20,.35,.40 and LA.25,.40 and .46. In the last couple of years I have been wanting to really study this to figure it out and prove a theory.  One version of this is the OS NVA that came with the FP-20, .35 and .40. The replacements for these came in a package with a black and white header card with part numbers and engines it will work on. I can't remember what the OD of the spray bar is right now but they worked very well, were as consistent as a part could possibly be. Then at some point in time, the packaging changed to the blue and white header card. I don't know if this was during the introduction of the LA series of engines or not. A summer or two ago I was helping a buddy with a LA.46 that required swapping out venturis and NVAs at the flying field. I knew at that time that there was a difference between the two in OD and I know that the Enya needle valve assembly looks like the OS but is different. I had purchased several OS units from shuttrman on eBay and hade a bunch of used ones in my parts box. I also heard the shuttrman was having new MVAs mad by Enya to OS specifications, so I bought a couple of those also. I can't remember the exact problem but trying to get what we want out of this engine, I noticed that the OS needles from the last batch of NVAs that I bought ( and might have been the last batch that OS produced) had really shallow tapers that were really blunt on the end. I started to treat that with checking them up in a hand drill and filing/polishing the taper to match what the older needles looked like. This greatly helped getting the needle setting that we wanted. I think this may explain the issue some guys have with "on click goes too rich or lean"  on some engines. I got the Enya made "OS " NVAs from shttrman and compared them. They looked better, but the nut was kind of a sloppy fit on the spray bar. I tried an OS nut on it and it fit better. As they come, you may easily over torque the nut and strip it out. I called Bob Brooks about it and he was aware of the issue and was working on it. I think the cause was maybe using Enya nuts on the OS spec spray bar. The difference is a matter of a few thousandths but on threads that fine it's as good as a mile. Some guys using these may not be getting them tightened correctly and they are not staying positioned correctly.
   Getting back to the last production OS NVAs, I started to compare them to other parts in my stash. It's been a while since I did this but I think I found that the last production OS FP-20 through LA.46 NVAs had s pray bar that looked just like the OS FP-.15. It made me wonder if when OS discontinued the LA series of engines, they decided to use up excess .15 NVA inventory to make up for shortages of the .20 through .46 NVAs.  The poor taper and blunt ends of the needles could just be poor quality control. I was going to mic everything up and measure things carefully and document everything and post it here, but something in life got in the way and I got side tracked. In other words, I think there may be a variation in parts out there that may be giving guys problems with these "stock" set ups. In some cases you can't buy the stock parts any longer, so you go digging through your junk box or your buddy's stuff to come up with something. Of all the things I have read over the years about NVAs and troubles guys have and all the discussions that go with that, I don't think I have ever heard once mentioned that Enya and OS needle valves do not interchange. One is slight smaller that the other by a few thousands and that is the cause of the nut issue I mentioned with the shuttrman OS reproduction when they first came out. I found out about it years ago when I went to adjust the needle on an LA.25 on a Ringmaster and I pulled the needle right off the spray bar!! Funny thing was I never felt the sloppy fit and the needle managed to stay put for quite a while, probably from accumulated dirt on the spray bar threads. Many of us have been doing this a long time, have a lot of spare parts and these get loaned, given out, sold swapped, traded and inherited. Unless you have a new in box version of a specific engine and you know all the parts are original and new, you might have to be more careful and triple check what you are using on the engine. The recent thread on FP-.35/40 runaway also brought this to mind when Randy Smith posted that you should get rid of the "tiny" OS spray bar unless you are going to use a .250" to .255" venturi, (and that is the range I usually use on OS .35/.40.46 engines with a later production NVA set) and go with something that is in the .157" diameter range, which would be PA or Super Tiger NVAs, and also the earlier FP..35/.40 assemblies with the black header card are close to that, but are getting REALLY hard to find these days. .  I think all of this is key to making the "stock" set ups work if you don't have known correct parts of the correct size.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 01:28:30 PM »
   One thing that may affect things for some people is the variation in OS. needle valve assemblies. The common one most used is for the FP-20,.35,.40 and LA.25,.40 and .46. In the last couple of years I have been wanting to really study this to figure it out and prove a theory.  One version of this is the OS NVA that came with the FP-20, .35 and .40. The replacements for these came in a package with a black and white header card with part numbers and engines it will work on. I can't remember what the OD of the spray bar is right now but they worked very well, were as consistent as a part could possibly be.

In the spirit of full disclosure, as you note,  there are OTHER OS-branded spraybars. The 15/20/25 baffle-piston had one that was SMALLER than the 20-46 current modern style, and the 30/35/40 baffle-piston versions had a 4mm same size as the ST. Both of these are wrong for the 20/25FP and 25LA, and will result in problems if you use them. The current rear-needle versions of the 20/25FP and 25LA use a "nozzle" the same size as the 20FP spraybar, which is why it works correctly.

Aside from the size and the effect on choke area, there is nothing terribly special about the OS needle. I like the way the needle is supported which is much better than the ST, and I like that it has click stops rather than infinite adjustment, just because you can easily fool yourself with infinite adjustments into making too small a change. The ST/ST Clone/Como has other problems in addition. If there was a PA or RO-Jett style spraybar of the correct diameter that would work fine.

But I repeat again, since it never seems to entirely sink in- *almost all the people who have come to me saying it doesn't work and in particular, that it doesn't have the power I claim for it, have been found to be using an ST spraybar assembly because it is "better"* And, even though I have a shoebox full of correct parts that I would happily donate to fix it, they can't be used because someone *drilled out the hole*, which ruins the case and venturi and makes it impossible to easily fix in the field.

Other popular ways to screw it up:

"Better Muffler" - nearly guaranteed to fail, the stock muffler is key to making it work reliably. Lead for the tail is cheap and widely available. 

"Better prop" - a 10-4 is worth experimenting with, once you get it working correctly with a 9-4. 10-6 Top Flite, forget it, get a Fox. I have had numerous mocking comments about "Ha Ha your foreign super-motor won't swing a stunt prop, what a joke!"  Never mind that a 10-6 hasn't been a competitive stunt prop for the last 40+ years, and the various hacks intended to make it "work" just ruin the engine, kills all the power,  and require replacement parts to correct.

Unwilling to lean it out - "Everybody knows" that if your engine is running in a 2-stroke, it is too lean and will "burn it up!!!!!!!", so either the pilot or his buddies will rush out to the circle and scream "richen that up!!!!" Never mind it has perfectly adequate service for RC guys running it that way from the first flip. The corollary is the "cheap nickel plating" that will "peel". Fortunately, those who followed the directions above will never know whether it peeled or not, because, *they aren't going to take their engine apart" so they have no idea what the liner looks like.

Idle disassembly - You get a brand new engine that some genius says is great, and the first thing you do is "take it apart to see what is in it" or to "clean out swarf", since that's what you had to do with your $9 McCoy on a bubble pack in 1955. If you crash it, and it looks like dirt got in, then, of course, clean it out however you need to, but taking it apart as the very first step is completely unnecessary, can only cause or misalignment, and encourages "improvements" or "blueprinting"  - both of just mean you are using jargon to impress your buddies and not trying to get a good engine run.

Brett

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 06:22:54 PM »
What do you do for break in on the LA 25? I have a Flite Streak ARF I want to throw together as a trainer just in case there’s someone who may want to learn how to fly
Matt Colan

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 08:14:05 PM »
What do you do for break in on the LA 25? I have a Flite Streak ARF I want to throw together as a trainer just in case there’s someone who may want to learn how to fly

https://stunthanger.com/smf/engine-set-up-tips/new-la25-how-to-break-in-this-engines-!/msg586391/#msg586391

That's about what I know about it. In reality, you probably don't need to break it in, if you are careful, but if nothing else, a bit of ground-run time will stabilize the setting and fuel consumption.

On the first few runs, be *very careful* putting you hand on the crankcase, particularly around the venturi and front bearing, because it tends to get *boiling hot* because the bearing section is very tight to start with. That will go away in 15-20 short runs.

Brett

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 04:37:19 PM »
Is break-in and run very different for the OS Max 25's, pre FP? And the recommendations for venturi and nva, if it is being converted from RC?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2022, 05:45:27 PM »
Is break-in and run very different for the OS Max 25's, pre FP? And the recommendations for venturi and nva, if it is being converted from RC?

Yes.  The OS Max 25 is a steel liner/iron piston.  It needs careful break-in and lots of castor oil to stay happy.
AMA 64232

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2022, 06:26:19 PM »

These are good running engines, more like a traditional run, but not in the class of the FP or the LA. They are a relative of the older MAX-S .35. They made a .20 also that is not to be confused with the FP-.20.

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2022, 07:42:43 PM »
      These are good running engines, more like a traditional run, but not in the class of the FP or the LA. They are a relative of the older MAX-S .35. They made a .20 also that is not to be confused with the FP-.20.

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

I should have mentioned that -- I had an OS Max 25, loved it to death (literally, but the last bit of "love" involved forgetting which fuel to use it in).  It's an old-school baffle-piston sport engine that doesn't develop nearly the power of a 20FP.  It's a really cool engine for what it is, but it's not in the same class as a 20FP, 25FP, or 25LA (even the "old bad" ones).
AMA 64232

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2022, 08:25:47 PM »

Completely different animal. I had both the OS-20 and 25-S baffle piston engines. They are fine runners, but nothing like as powerful, and certainly are not adequate substitutes for a 20FP. They are minor upgrades for the "15-sized" "Junior" models like the Flite Streak Jr, Junior Nobler, Shark 15, etc. You could fly a Skyray 35 with one, but I would expect much less performance than a Fox 35 - it's basically the same thing, with better workmanship, but 60% the size. Full patterns would be extremely difficult in anything but ideal conditions.

The correct venturi size for stunt is 5.5 mm or about .217". With a spraybar diameter of ~0.123", this gives a choke area of about 0.0118 square inches. It came with a "small" and "large" venturi, but my experience was that the "large" was pretty hopeless on suction. Note that the spraybar was also much smaller than the 20FP, in this case, you might have to dig a lot to find a stock unit. Randy might have some. If you absolutely cannot find one, then, use the bigger OS spraybar, which will require you to damage your case fit it, and whatever size venturi it takes to get the .0115-.0118 square inches of choke area.

It uses typical props from the Jurassic age - 8-6, 9-5, 9-6. Forget the 9-4 or smaller, and beware of breaking the crank at high revs or high nitro.

Break-in is standard for iron-liner engines, small props at high 4-stroke settings, short runs, lots of castor. I think I ran mine for about an hour total, but I was also 12 years old at the time.

Brett

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2022, 09:51:29 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'm glad I asked the question because my brother and I have several.  I think we were running them like FP's and LA's. We didn't run them often.  I have one on an old Trixie which is rather light.  It pull it fairly well.  Maybe I do need some more high castor fuel and different props.  Thanks again.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2022, 08:24:04 AM »
Thanks guys.  I'm glad I asked the question because my brother and I have several.  I think we were running them like FP's and LA's. We didn't run them often.  I have one on an old Trixie which is rather light.  It pull it fairly well.  Maybe I do need some more high castor fuel and different props.  Thanks again.

I have a fairly large B-25 profile scale model that was built by a friend who has passed away, and it's powered by two of these. I would have to get it down to look, but I think we ran 9-5 wood props on it and used spoked up SIG Champion 10% fuel, and they fly this model confidently. Sean took it to fly demo flights at Oshkosh last year. It's no light weight model either, but not a stunt model. On two engines it's pretty solid on the lines. One engine will barely keep it in the air. Dick Sarpolous published a twin engine stunt model based on a SIG Chipmunk wing that was powered by two of the .20s' I think, and certainly two of the .25s wouldn't over do it. The ARF Flight StreaK should be light enough for the .25 if you can find one of those. Might as well have a little fun with them. There are lots of the .25s around, and turn up on eBay a lot.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2022, 09:33:51 AM »
You could fly a Skyray 35 with one, but I would expect much less performance than a Fox 35 - it's basically the same thing, with better workmanship, but 60% the size. Full patterns would be extremely difficult in anything but ideal conditions.

I had mine on a grossly overweight Ringmaster (32 ounces!!) for a while.  I had to shorten the lines to 55 feet to keep it solid on the lines, and overhead maneuvers were dicey.  It would maybe have done OK with a more reasonable weight Ringmaster, but it still wouldn't have been as good as that porky Ring with a 20FP.
AMA 64232

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2022, 12:22:57 PM »
The ARF Flight StreaK should be light enough for the .25 if you can find one of those.

It will certainly fly the airplane, but will not give you anything like the performance of the Veco 19bb, OS20FP, OS15FP, etc.   Start with a 9-6.

Brett

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2022, 06:29:27 PM »
Brett please do a  post on running the LA 46 now.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2022, 09:19:47 PM »
Brett please do a  post on running the LA 46 now.

He did -- his guidance is exactly the same as for the 20FP and 25LA.  Stock needle, stock venturi, stock muffler, don't touch anything, take it out of the box, go fly.

The only thing that I'd add to (or mildly disagree with) is that the 46LA can handle a BIG plane.  If you want to put it on a Nobler, you'll need to tone it down.  My recommendation on that is to use a smaller venturi (or the stock stunt venturi with lots of nylon mesh piled over it), and possibly go with bigger props, up to the APC 12.25 x 3.75.  If you neck the venturi down, then smaller planes seem to like that prop.

You do have to fiddle a bit with finding the prop and venturi size combination that the plane is happiest with.  The props I select from when matching a 46LA or Tower 40 to an airframe are the APC 11x4, APC 11.5x4, Thunder Tiger 11x4.5 (which I don't think you can get any more, but some may be sitting in people's stashes out there) and the APC 12.25 x 3.75.  I can't speak from experience, but I think that the 40FP would respond about the same as a Tower 40.

And -- that's it.  A bit more variability than the 20FP, but only because you're maybe trying to match it to a wider range of airframes.
AMA 64232

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2022, 02:08:50 AM »
He did -- his guidance is exactly the same as for the 20FP and 25LA.  Stock needle, stock venturi, stock muffler, don't touch anything, take it out of the box, go fly.

The only thing that I'd add to (or mildly disagree with) is that the 46LA can handle a BIG plane.  If you want to put it on a Nobler, you'll need to tone it down.  My recommendation on that is to use a smaller venturi (or the stock stunt venturi with lots of nylon mesh piled over it), and possibly go with bigger props, up to the APC 12.25 x 3.75.  If you neck the venturi down, then smaller planes seem to like that prop.

You do have to fiddle a bit with finding the prop and venturi size combination that the plane is happiest with.  The props I select from when matching a 46LA or Tower 40 to an airframe are the APC 11x4, APC 11.5x4, Thunder Tiger 11x4.5 (which I don't think you can get any more, but some may be sitting in people's stashes out there) and the APC 12.25 x 3.75.  I can't speak from experience, but I think that the 40FP would respond about the same as a Tower 40.

And -- that's it.  A bit more variability than the 20FP, but only because you're maybe trying to match it to a wider range of airframes.
Thank you Tim. 😁

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2022, 11:08:03 AM »

In point of fact, I didn't, although I know that it does not need to be "carved" or "head gasket patrolled" to death, to first approximation. I do not have enough experience running the 46 LA to give this level of detailed instructions. I have "set up" dozens of 20FP/25LAs for myself and other people, and flown many hundreds of flights, in addition to doing the "small engine experiment" nearly 30 years ago, so I know exactly how it runs and how much better it is than the alternatives.

I repeat that *I am not an engine guy* and as far as I can tell, knowing that I am not puts me way ahead of 99% of so-called engine experts. I *do* know what is required to fly stunt patterns successfully and have some general ideas about how to go about it. I have also been sad witness to the explosion of "engine experts" and their disastrous efforts trying to turn 2022 into 1955 and the very sad fact that no one even seems interested in even trying to take advantage of modern techniques. Just look at the rest of the threads in the engine forum - not a single thread and only vague references to currently competitive systems. And this is with IC in it's "end state" - this is the end (or rather, the mid-late 00's were the end), it isn't going to get any better, and IC will be either unsupportable or hopelessly uncompetitive very shortly, if it hasn't happened already.

So, I have no detailed recommendations about how to best set up 46LAs. My best advice is if you want to run a 12-6 at 8500 RPM, go get an ST46 instead of grinding up and destroying your 46LA, so at least the next guy has a chance. The fact that this will likely spin a few people into a foaming at the mouth rant is a perfect illustration of what I was talking about.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2022, 01:10:05 PM »
  In point of fact, I didn't,...

Well, that's what I took this to mean:

... Note also that the same sort of advice applies to the 46LA - dear GOD ALMIGHTY, just leave it alone! ...

I think the only reason there seems to be utility in the extra level of fussing that I detail for the 46LA is because people need to stick it onto a wider range of airplanes.  And note that the only changes I suggest are in prop selection and venturi size -- no hemi heads, extra gaskets, backplate swaps, ST needle valves, or tongue mufflers (except for the "tongue muffler" that I made that had nearly the volume of an E3030 and was sculpted to look like a tongue -- that was not a tongue muffler as normal people think of them; it was just a really bad pun in aluminum).

The jump from a 25LA to a 46LA is nearly 2x in displacement, so there's a gap there that can't be filled just by leaning out your 25LA, or richening up your 46LA.
AMA 64232

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2022, 09:27:32 PM »
I think the only reason there seems to be utility in the extra level of fussing that I detail for the 46LA is because people need to stick it onto a wider range of airplanes.

Sort of. The apparent desire to grind it up, add head gaskets, etc. seems to stem from wanting it to run like a "real stunt motor!", i.e. slogging along at low revs with 6" of pitch in a 4-2 break. Never mind that that hasn't been a "real stunt motor" run for well over 30 years, if you try, it will either not run reliably, or, it will decide to run like a "real stunt motor" from 1995, that is, the dreaded "runaway", which is stunt talk for "run as designed". If the airplane is too small, it will fly like a bat out of hell, and thus "obviously require modifications", if the airplane is too big, it will just be dead in the maneuvers, because you are already running it at full tilt in level flight, and the high pitch will only permit it to slow down in the maneuver. Junky foreign motors, can't even run like a Fox.

This is when the real BS starts, because you really only have to run an appropriate prop, and then adjust the venturi diameter to get the necessary power level. However, the nearly universal first step is to start carving the head or the ports, or stacking in head gaskets - mostly because absolutely none of these guys understand the use of compression to adjust a stunt engine.  Greatly reducing the compression will indeed reduce the power - but running lower power, you cannot draw fuel - which is why it ran away in the first place!

This starts a spiral where you get might get perfectly neat modifications, done with good workmanship or not, where you end up with 46LAs that have less power than a bone-stock Fox 35. If you don't believe me, one pretty famous reworkers engines did exactly that, to the point that the engine would not fly a Pathfinder ARF fast enough to do the pattern - even with a 10-7 prop and 15% nitro!

The inevitable conclusion,  conveyed to me many times, is that "the 46LA is no good for stunt, and by the time you modify it to work 'right', it's gutless and you can do better with an ST46"!

Which brings us back to Kevin's question. While I am virtually certain that there is no practical way to greatly improve a "new" 25LA (and about a million variants on how to screw it up), I actually don't know if there are simple modifications/adjustments to be made to a 46LA to make it run better. I do know that, bone stock, it seems to be vastly better overall than anything we had before about 1988, certainly better than an ST46, as long as you don't expect it to run 12-6s in chug mode. As long as you leave it alone, and pick props based on 2022 knowledge rather than 1960 knowledge, you will have a better-running engine than almost anything we used before the tuned-pipe era.

And you sure don't want to be carving on these now-unobtainable parts trying to replicate the ST46, because you can just go get an ST46 and run that. Good luck - Ted Fancher gave up on it in 1988, but, I am sure your average Advanced pilot or expert keyboard operator knows muuuch better....

Brett

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2022, 09:21:25 AM »
Does the same thing about running stock and wet 2 apply to the LA 40?

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2022, 05:18:22 PM »
Does the same thing about running stock and wet 2 apply to the LA 40?

My guess - which is only that, a guess - is that yes, it will probably be a good starting point, and that you might have to experiment with venturis and prop pitch (never 6", think 5 or lower). But not internal modifications.  I don't post anything about it, because, again, *I am not an engine expert* and I have only seen a few 40LAs ever in stunt. They run perfectly well for RC peaked out lean, all you need for stunt is a lower pitched prop and a few needle clicks - not a f*cking grinder.

It's really not too complicated, take it out of the box, do not modify it in any way, use all the parts in the box, find an appropriate prop - for a 40LA, I would probably start with an APC 11.5-4. Put it in the airplane, start it, peak it out, back off a few clicks until you get a distinct drop, launch it. Check the level flight speed, and what the engine does in the maneuvers, adjust accordingly. Play venturi off against the needle setting and the prop diameter to get the right level flight speed at the right setting (a medium 2-stroke) and the right maneuver pickup.

I did dozens of tests like this in the small engine experiment, it takes about 3 flights per engine to know what it might need, or whether it is a waste of time. The conclusion - ANY, repeat, ANY small schneurle engine (15-32) that you could buy in the early-mid 90's *worked pretty darn well* and the parts they came with were generally appropriate for the engine. This includes the RC carb most of them come with. All gave perfectly reliable flights with very minor experimentation and generally FAR better performance than old crock baffle-piston engines. The ones that didn't do to well on the Skyray 35, Banshee, and Coyote test airplanes were the 32s, because they were FAR FAR TOO POWERFUL.

I very strongly suspect that the 40LA is no different in that regard, although FAR FAR TOO POWERFUL to put on something like a Twister, which is where most people start making their mistakes.

There may well be very subtle changes that will make it run slightly better for our purposes. No one will ever find them if there first step is to make a HUGE irreversible change, and, here's a clue - you actually have to know what you need to fly stunt successfully to begin to evaluate changes.

I would note that, despite the 10,000 threads where it is discussed, *running in a 4-stroke at 8000 RPM with 6" of pitch has not been a mainstream approach in stunt for more than 30 years now*. That is way over 1/4 a century and has been around far longer than Fox 35s in chug mode. Even if you can make that happen, why do we want that?  It doesn't work nearly as well as running at 10,000 RPM and 4" of pitch, to the point it has transformed the event. You want that sort of engine, they made them for decades, and they are widely available. Why destroy new ones?

Brett

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2022, 08:13:33 PM »
Thanks Bret,

I have an almost new one coming.  I will run it that way.  I have one but I modified the NVA.  However, it runs best for me with 10.5x4.5.  Runs 11 minutes on 4 oz of furel but not the highest power.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2022, 08:15:06 PM »
I will try the new one - completely stock with the stock set-up from shtterman.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2022, 10:47:27 PM »
   I got on the train to  "LA" pretty late. I had been reading about them on the forums but was having good success with FPs and Bordak .40s and such. Time went by and the .46 seemed to be the one everyone wanted. The line diameter rules got changed to help things along and everyone wanted Fancherised Twister with an LA.46 on it and from what I remember reading at the time the LA.40 was getting panned by everyone. I finally had an opportunity to pick up a few R/C versions of the .40 at some swap meets, and set them up like my FP-.40s and found them to be pretty nice and consistent to run. It was a long time before I ran across any LA.46s to try out and the first one was in a scratch built Legacy .40 with a foam wing that was in a group of models I bought from a guy down state from me who was selling out due to health. The Legacy was a bit heavy at 60 ounces, but it's on the large side for a .40 so I thought it might fly OK for a knock around model. I read up some on what props guys were using and with the Legacy 's size and weight I went right to the APC 12.25 X 3.75 and worked on getting line length right and such. I came into it's own after a couple of dozen flights. Sean came home on leave and asked to take it back to Texas for a while because he needed something to fly and I got away from both engines for a long while. Sean brought the model back and told me he didn't think much of it and the engine, so I went  to work putting it back into the trim I had it. It wasn't a world beater or anything but I put a whole bunch flights on it since then. I would rather fly that just for fun that wear out or tear up any of my better stuff. Brian Gardner came out with his ABC P&L sets for them so I thought I would try one of those since they were getting rave reviews. It assembled pretty easy, just like Brian said, put it through it's bench runs just like the instructions called out for. It was getting late in the year so flying was cut back to once a month but while the engine was running very well, it just would not pull the 12.25X 3.75 prop like it did in stock form. I flew it a bunch with the Thunder Tiger prop everyone else was using and while it was OK, it was not as good as the big prop. I put in away until the spring of 2020. Covid layoff came and March was weather wasn't too bad so flight ops were possible again and the first long session we had I took the Legacy and the original engine I had in it with me along with the plane with the engine I had built up with the Gardner parts. I was gong to fly it a few flights with the bigger APC props for a baseline and then switch back t the original engine. I was completely surprised when I flew it because it was back to it's old self. I reasoned and Brian G confirmed later that it just needed a little more time to settle in.                                                                                                                   
      During this time I also had a .46 in a Sakitumi to use as part of my learning curve. The Sakitumi is kind of a bigger model also but only weighed 49 ounces I think. During my time with that combination, I pulled out the  LA.40 that was in it when I got it just so I could run the .46. The only thing I can say about it is that I have trouble trying to detune the engine and get what I wanted out of it. I wound up going much smaller on prop and eventually tried a hemi head on it just to se if that would tame the break a bit more and tried numerous muffler combinations. I had some good success with it in contests and such, but eventually took the .46 out of it and put the LA.40 back in. I found it much more easy to get dialed in and it was like a Swiss watch after about 6 flights  Along the same time I got a profile Brodak Cardinal and decided to try the .46 in that model, and experienced the same thing trying to get the engine detuned and while I seemed to get it satisfactory in the Sakitumi, I could not get it like I wanted it in the Cardinal. So, out came the .46 and in went the LA.40 and in a few flights it was happy and so was I. The legacy and cardinal will see some service as soon as weather lets us get back out again
     In short, I like the .46, but wish it was a bit bigger, more like a .51. Most models that call for that size range, and there are a lot of them, I would go right to the ST.51. I think Tim Wescott mentioned that he didn't think it could handle a "big plane" and I mean that as anything 60 ounces or heavier and the sizeo fthe Legacy .40 or bigger. i think it's best in the Legacy.40 size model or a SIG Super Chipmunk as long as the weight didn't get too much past 50 ounces and I think 55 would be mx on it.
     Having said that, I don't know why people put the .46 on a Fancherized Twister or similar model when the LA.40 is a much better fit I think. I remember reading about the .46 when they were first making the rounds that they were drop in replacement for that FP.40 that ran away on people all the time. A Fancherised Twister can get pretty heavy when built by a newbie that is salivating at getting it into the air and scoring big at the first contest he enters. I know because I have been down that road. But even by adding all the wood that is required to make the modifications you still come out with something close to the high 40 ounce range to 50 or 51 ounces. I took a box stock Twister kit, and added what the Fancher mods called for and even added leading edge sheeting , cap strips and discovered that standard Shark .45 wing tips from a Jetco kit fit the wing perfectly, so I made it into a .40 powered profile Shark. It weighed in at 48 or 49 ounces because I used all the kit wood and didn't pay too much attention to the wood I added and it has a silk span and dope finish. I won a lot of trophies with that model and it may come back down off the wall this spring. It started out with an FP.40 but switched to a Brodak .,40 when the first run of those came out. I think the LA.40 would be just as sweat in it. If the model isn't too large I think the LA.40 likes a bit of load on it and it runs well where you need it to run because of the weight. The LA .40 got an undeserved bad rap early in it's existence and I don't know why. I find them very easy to set up and handle and pretty forgiving on bad needle settings. I hate the blue color. I don't know what the purpose of that was but I never seem to run across the natural finished versions of it or the LA.25. I think one of the biggest and easiest tuning features of these is the muffler. I have a good selection of mufflers and have played around with those quite a bit on all three. You can have the Screaming Eagle run like Brett describes with the stock mufflers. Or if the model size and weight allow it a tongue muffler, or a after market tube muffle may work best depending what you and the model want.
   Like every one else, I think it was a shame OS dropped the LA line, but we all know where the engine market in general went in the last ten years. But I was able to find enough swap meet, Craig's List and facebook Market Place bargains to keep me happy until I turn toes up! The biggest need to be met for those still operating them for any extended length of time will be props.  APC still makes what is needed for them but some times a nice wood prop is just the ticket for a classic model.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2022, 04:38:51 AM »
I have one but I modified the NVA.  However, it runs best for me with 10.5x4.5.  Runs 11 minutes on 4 oz of furel but not the highest power.

How did you modify the spraybar - modified to put in an ST spraybar? If so, that's why you lost power, that is about 20% right off the top. It's more like 30% on the 20FP, which is why everyone insists I am lying to them.

Brett

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2022, 04:10:51 PM »
Yes, I put one ST size Needles in it but I I don't remember drilling it. It has a tongue muffler also.  It was my first LA engine after 2 FP 40's. I have an almost new one which I will have to convert from RC.  I want to set it up completely stock and run it that way for awhile.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2022, 07:35:50 PM »
Yes, I put one ST size Needles in it but I I don't remember drilling it. It has a tongue muffler also.  It was my first LA engine after 2 FP 40's. I have an almost new one which I will have to convert from RC.  I want to set it up completely stock and run it that way for awhile.

If an ST-sized needle fit then someone drilled it out.

If you can't get a stock venturi for it, someone can make one for you.  RSM probably has one; Jim Lee can probably make you one.
AMA 64232

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2022, 07:51:21 PM »
I actually have a stock venturi which I removed from an FP 40 so I could put a (better one??? in it).  I don't remember what I put in that one.  I bought a different venturi from Jim Lee.  Then I sold the engine.  This venturi needs a new O-ring.  Where can I get one?  I think I will put this one in the new LA-40 and get the appropriate needle from Shtterman.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2022, 08:39:25 PM »
I actually have a stock venturi which I removed from an FP 40 so I could put a (better one??? in it).  I don't remember what I put in that one.  I bought a different venturi from Jim Lee.  Then I sold the engine.  This venturi needs a new O-ring.  Where can I get one?  I think I will put this one in the new LA-40 and get the appropriate needle from Shtterman.

The size of the venturi will depend on the size of your spray bar. Like it has been mentioned, if you have an ST needle valve assembly  (which measures .057"in diameter) , and it fit the engine , it has been drilled out for that spray bar. Putting things back to stock will require a late model OS NVA, and it measures .136" or .137", so you need to reduce the size of the spray bar. There is a thread pinned to the top of the section on recommended venturi sizes for various engines. here is a link  :   https://stunthanger.com/smf/engine-set-up-tips/venturi-inside-diameters/
     If you change to the smaller NVA and spray bar, you will need to take care that the side holes in the venturi mount where the spray bar goes through get sealed well, maybe even bushed down if you have the right stuff to do that with. it is handy to have a set of dial calipers and/or a set on number/letter drills to use as a tool to measure the bore of a venturi. Use the smooth shank of the drill bit to check it for fit into the hole. When you find one that is a slip fit, measure with the dial calipers. It takes a while to develop the feel for using this tool if you have never used one before. Watch for Harbor Freight to have their cheap sets of fractional, number, and letter drills on sale to use the shanks as pin gauges.  The shank will be a bit smaller than the indicated size of the drill bit and fit the hole better. You can use the drill bits on wood and plastics and such but don't expect too much performance out of them on steel. Once you have a venturi identified for proper size, scribe or engrave that size on it for convenience the next time you want to know what size it is.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2022, 09:30:08 PM »

I can get back to you on the correct diameter to replicate the original choke area with the .157 ST spraybar.  That *should* work as well as the stock unit, with the exception of the vibration issue. Since this is an 40LA, I don't have a setup known to work with everything  stock, might be a good idea to get that size, .005" larger diameter, .005" smaller, and .010 smaller. Per above, stick with the stock choke area until you see reason to change it based on the methodology above.

Again, this is just *my* (very strong) suggestion on how to proceed, I am sure many other people think they have a working system, maybe or maybe not, good luck.

Brett

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2022, 02:48:47 AM »
LA 46 has a remote needle on a plastic back plate. Leave that alone too?
Kevin.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2022, 10:39:04 AM »
Kevin.

If you are using it on a profile and have good access to it, by all means try it. Make sure the back plate screw are snug, do not over tighten them. Put a dab of some silicone grease on the O-ring in the needle to keep it from sticking and will help seal it from air leaking. My experience with these O-ring needles is that they get soft from fuel and can stick, and if left for a while can make the needle get really stuck. I have had to use pliers to remove the needles from some used engines I have, they were that tight! Trying some O-rings of better quality will help. In some of the engines I have seen, I have seen white colored O-rings which may be Teflon but don't know if they were stock, but suspect they were replaced by the original owners. You can rotate the back plate to get a better position for the needle and is space allows try for horizontal, pointing outward as long as you can reach it. Up right will make it venerable to breaking when landing inverted. The later engines still had plastic back plates but used a metal bracket that the NVA attached to. These allow a little more variety on how they mount and if you can find one of those try it. Tower Hobbies  may still have those in their remaining OS parts of you see them on eBay and I will see if I have one in my stash.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2022, 10:43:37 AM »
Kevin.

I would certainly start that way. I have seen no problem at all with either type of rear-needle setup on the OS - the old metal one that is the core of an RC carb, or the integral plastic one. The only problem with the plastic type is that it breaks off if you crash inverted with a profile mount. The clicks are rather large for the 25LA, but manageable.

I emphasize again - I am not publishing any setup information for the 40 or 46LA. I do not have any. This is just a starting point for experimentation - without the preconceived assumption that you need to cut/grind/drill/modify something as your first step.

Brett

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2022, 02:28:19 PM »
So I asked this question on FB, but I'll ask again here: I've got a George Aldrich Top Flite Peacemaker (built-up body) with an OS FP 25 on the front.  Flies awesome!  But maybe too fast.  Any thoughts? Some have said replace it with a Fox 35, as the mounting holes are the same. But, I only have space for a 3oz tank in the fuse. Thanks in advance

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2022, 02:56:33 PM »
So I asked this question on FB, but I'll ask again here: I've got a George Aldrich Top Flite Peacemaker (built-up body) with an OS FP 25 on the front.  Flies awesome!  But maybe too fast.  Any thoughts? Some have said replace it with a Fox 35, as the mounting holes are the same. But, I only have space for a 3oz tank in the fuse. Thanks in advance

Go to longer lines and/or reduce prop size a bit, change the engine to an LA.25. All of those will affect lap times. This is another example of where the OP does not give enough pertinent information such as what prop you are currently using, line length and diameter, and current lap times. Give us something to work with.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2022, 05:41:07 PM »
  Go to longer lines and/or reduce prop size a bit, change the engine to an LA.25. All of those will affect lap times. This is another example of where the OP does not give enough pertinent information such as what prop you are currently using, line length and diameter, and current lap times. Give us something to work with.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Right!  Peacemaker is 2 lb 5 oz weight, OS FP .25 with 9x4 prop, 10% nitro, 58-60’ lines, 5.5 second lap times.

C R

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2022, 05:59:03 PM »
Christopher,
I wouldn't have thought 5.5 seconds per lap was too fast!
4.7-4.9 on a stunt ship, at my novice level, yes. But I would be thrilled with 5.5 second laps!

Good luck
Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2022, 06:00:26 PM »
Christopher,
I wouldn't have thought 5.5 seconds per lap was too fast!
4.7-4.9 on a stunt ship, at my novice level, yes. But I would be thrilled with 5.5 second laps!

Good luck
Craig
[/quote

Great!  I’ll leave my set up the way it is.  Thank you!

P.S. 3.5 oz tank, not 3 oz

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2022, 06:10:14 PM »
/quote/

Attach a pressure line from the STOCK muffler tap to the suction tank vent. Plug the overflow with an airtight plug. You want it to run on a suction system with pressure, not uniflow with or without pressure.

Start engine, lean out to a 2-stroke, then slowly lean it out until it is absolutely as fast as it will go, and one click more makes it sag. Then, back off needle until you just get a distinct RPM drop, just a bit off peaked out in a 2-stroke. If you get it rich enough to start misfiring in a 4-stroke, even occasionally, you have gone *much too far*. This is about 5 clicks open from peaked-out lean using the stock OS front needle, about 5 clicks open using the 20FP rear-needle (all-metal on a metal bracket). It is about 3 clicks open from peaked out lean using the stock 25LA rear needle (gray metal needle in a plastic backplate mount). You do not need a tachometer, but it will be 2-300 RPM from peak.

Launch the airplane and it should get slightly richer-sounding in level flight, and then peak out in the maneuvers. If it peaks out and then sags in the maneuvers, you are too lean, open needle *1* click for the next flight, try again, until it does not sag lean in the maneuvers at any point. If it ever hits a 4-stroke, you are too rich, close the needle one click and try again.

Brett

[/quote/

Does this engine set-up style work for iron piston-and-liner engines like Fox 35 and McCoy?  Albeit with flatter-pitched props and high oil content fuel?  Or are they “ set the motor in a rich 4-stroke, tip the nose up to get it to lean out and call it a day” kind of settings?

C R

C R

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2022, 07:22:32 PM »

Does this engine set-up style work for iron piston-and-liner engines like Fox 35 and McCoy?  Albeit with flatter-pitched props and high oil content fuel? 

No, not very well, they do not have enough power at the necessary RPM.  You can crank them up enough to get a respectable lap time/airspeed in level flight with a 4" pitch prop, but they will be dead as a doornail in the maneuvers. People in the good old days were just as sharp as we are today, they long since determined the best way to run it was the traditional setup.

Or are they “ set the motor in a rich 4-stroke, tip the nose up to get it to lean out and call it a day” kind of settings?

As noted above. In most cases, you don't set it as you describe. Most of these engines with the optimal/maxed-out prop, like a 10-6 Top Flite on a Fox, need to be set to about 95% 2-stroke/5% 4-stroke, and when you launch them, they go into a nearly constant 4-stroke once it unloads. More nitro reduces this effect, because you have more power, you will not have to unload as much.

The nose-up/lean out test is nor nearly sensitive enough to get it right, at best it tells you that you are pretty close to the 4/2 point to start with. Note that pointing the nose-up is not in any way simulating the flight, the engine "richness" is controlled almost entirely by load, not by the fuel pressure.

Brett

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2022, 08:11:24 PM »
Bingo!  Thank you!

C R

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2022, 09:10:13 PM »
Bingo!  Thank you!

C R

You are welcome!  I would add, this is not a hypothetical, I and many other people have tried to run with modern pitch on the older engines, and it never worked, and always, failed in the same way. You can, in some situations, with some engines, get down into the upper 4-low 5" with some success, but no way are you getting down to the normal 4" stunt props (for the year 2022) in a normal situation. There are a few exceptions - like the Veco 19BB, which is just a touch weaker than the 20FP, but runs OK with 10-4 to make it up a bit. But the usual traditional stunt engines, no way.

Brett

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2022, 08:02:54 AM »
Does an Enya .15 (plain-bearing) C/L motor run like a Fox 35 (high-pitch prop, 4-2-4 low RPM) or like the OS? (Flat-pitch prop, high rpm, 2-stroke)?   I think the Enya takes lower oil content, like 22% 50/50 castor synthetic.  Thanks in advance

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2022, 10:40:38 AM »
Does an Enya .15 (plain-bearing) C/L motor run like a Fox 35 (high-pitch prop, 4-2-4 low RPM) or like the OS? (Flat-pitch prop, high rpm, 2-stroke)?   I think the Enya takes lower oil content, like 22% 50/50 castor synthetic.  Thanks in advance

That is one engine that was NOT tested in the original experiment - we never bothered with the Enya baffle piston (TV series?), and the later engines were *far too much work* to try to break in for our quickie tests, and very hard to find in any case.

The only reason I have a Skyray 35 as a test bed was because I crashed someone else's Skyray because I got myself in a "coffin corner" on performance. It would not turn and I stalled in a horizontal 8 due to excess speed loss with a Enya 29 (baffle-piston/"TV"?) which was far too wimpy for good flying. This was with a 9-6 wood prop of some sort. If a 29 was not nearly enough - much less good than a Fox 35 - then you have little or no chance with the same thing that is half the size. Of course I had to rebuild the airplane for this guy, which consisted of a new fuselage with the guys own design upright engine mount (that was more-or-less like a Mustunt 1), so I wound up with most of a kit, so that's what later built and used as a test bed. This was in the early 90's, same airplane, more-or-less, is still in weekly use, by a young man out in the central Valley*.

This makes a good comparison with other normal (for the 90's/2000s) 15s - my Skyray flew *perfectly well* with a 15FP, but the same airplane was far too wimpy with an Enya 29 baffle-piston, and took some skill to get through a pattern with a Fox 35 in any sort of wind. So, even with a pretty low-performing, bottom-of-the-barrel RC economy engine from the 90s, it flew a lot better from the best competition engine from the 50's that is more than twice the size.

The typical 15 and 19-sized 50's/60's baffle-piston engines like the Enya 15, OS Max I/II/II 15, OS-20S, etc, are just not in the ballpark with same-sized engines now, and are good for the "Jr." airplanes like the Shark 15, Junior Nobler, etc. that were designed around them. But they cannot be considered in the same category with modern 15s like the 15FP. It would be completely insane to put a 15FP on, say, a Jr Nobler, unless you made two wings and turned it into a biplane - far too hard to control the speed. You could fly a regular Nobler on a 15FP if you were careful and in good conditions, the Junior model would be a bomb.

And, in any case, you run these engines in 2-strokes all the time with 6" of pitch. The problem is that airplanes designed for these engines have to be pretty small, like 250-270 square inches, to have any sort of performance. This is hardly any larger than a typical good 1/2A stunt plane like the Tercel, etc. But, to handle the vibration from a 15-19, they are typically built like tanks, far heavier than a 1/2A, just to stay together. So you end up with a pretty dense airplane and have to run the engine for near-max power anyway, and that means 5-6" of pitch for efficiency sake. Typical props are 7-5, 7-6, and 8-5/6.

OF course there were much more powerful 15s from the 60's like the Rossi/Cox/TaiPan/ST, but those, in turn, are really hard to handle and not tractable enough for a stunt engine. I know someone will get very indignant about this, but *just forget about these ancient baffle-piston engines from the mists of time* in this context. While you might get something OK with a lot of work, that compares to the absolutely trivial ease with which you can get equal or better performance with even the cheapest modern RC sport engines.

As proven time and again, and to the point of this entire thread, you have to do *literally nothing* to a 20FP or "new" 25LA to blow the best stunt engine on the planet in 1957 completely out of the water. It is not a close call, it is not a subtle effect, it is night and day. And you have to know *absolutely nothing* about engines, props, or use the disastrous "local engine expert" with his grinders, drills, extensive head gasket collection, anything.

Brett

*Said young man, having gotten a very simple airplane that is trimmed pretty close, the engine runs every time, and requires no extraordinary effort (my old Skyray with a well-used 25LA), has gone from not being able to do any more than inside loops, to "competitive in most Advanced contests", in 5-6 flying sessions, and, more to the point, had not learned any bad habits trying to "help" the airplane, which are going to have to be unlearned later at great effort. The maneuver shapes and intersections were Advanced quality *on the very first attempt*, none of the bizarre repeated shape errors that other people get into the habit of trying to fly ancient junk systems and "helping" them by jumping around, leading, lagging, etc. He stand up straight, moves the handle, and the shapes just come out right *automatically*. Having not done it wrong with marginal ancient airplanes/engines, he doesn't know how to screw it up like the rest of us, and doesn't have to unlearn it.

This illustrates how much different a proper airplane makes the stunt experience, you simply couldn't have done this in the past. It is also why I was talking about doing something with the skill classes to make them more useful - because guys like this young man skipped from "not being able to complete any outside maneuver" to "middle Advanced" with no contests at all, just a few flying sessions of maybe 25-30 flights total. This is also why we have all the entries in Advanced and Expert, and typically none in Beginner and only a few intermediate. We still get a fair number of new people, they just skip beginner and intermediate, because they rapidly jump over it in a 10-20 flights, as long as they have good equipment and some help. The guys hung up in Intermediate, no offense to them, are still trying to struggle along with 50-style equipment and have now learned so many bad habits that to ever get out of it, will have to put froth extraordinary effort to unlearn it. I have a few examples of that, that many people would know, but I am not going to point them out here.

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2022, 10:59:52 AM »
Thank you, that is helpful! I'm at the point in my life (43 y.o.) where a relatively little amount of time on this forum and facebook Control Line enthusiasts, coupled with once or twice a year meet-ups with New England Stunt Team, have done more for my flying then 25+ years "experimenting" on my own!  (in relative isolation). Thank you! Very much appreciated.  But, I think my Enya looks newer then 1950's/1960's. More like '80's/90's? I've got it mounted on my son's trainer: foam core symmetric airfoil wing (24"?), solid profile fuselage, etc.  I've got another on an Akromaster: flaps, no wheels,

C R

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2022, 11:34:44 AM »
Thank you, that is helpful! I'm at the point in my life (43 y.o.) where a relatively little amount of time on this forum and facebook Control Line enthusiasts, coupled with once or twice a year meet-ups with New England Stunt Team, have done more for my flying then 25+ years "experimenting" on my own!  (in relative isolation). Thank you! Very much appreciated.  But, I think my Enya looks newer then 1950's/1960's. More like '80's/90's? I've got it mounted on my son's trainer: foam core symmetric airfoil wing (24"?), solid profile fuselage, etc.  I've got another on an Akromaster: flaps, no wheels,

If you have it on those sorts of airplanes and it is not going sub 4-second laps, then we are talking two different things.

I would suggest that an all-balsa Skyray 35 or a Flite Streak (regular, not Junior) with a 20FP or 25LA would be a very drastic upgrade to these small 15-sized models, while being at least as easy to build and set up.

As always, experienced help is always going to be a lot better than trying to do it all yourself. There are so many little details that matter but might takes years, or forever, to stumble across on you own, that real experts would spot in 5 seconds. And, this is a bit off-topic, but it is my opinion that *it is literally impossible to learn to be a good stunt pilot without being around other good stunt pilots*. No one is going to go off by themselves and just work extra-hard in isolation, then show up and blow everybody away. That's because there are plenty of people working extra-hard *with help* and flying against other competitive pilots - you cannot out-work anyone, and you cannot out-smart the collective knowledge of a knowledgeable group. We do it here (Ted, Bill F, David F, me, Jim Aron, the late Phil Granderson) with occasional back and forth with Paul Walker, the late Bob Whitely, etc., and it worked so well that there were a few people convinced we were cheating somehow. Not at all, we just fed off each other, with both heavy collaboration AND die-hard competition. Local contests are like being in a NATS Top 5 every time, you cannot replace that sort of experience.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here