News:

• April 19, 2024, 08:12:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Defective new tank  (Read 1194 times)

Offline bob whitney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Defective new tank
« on: October 11, 2018, 09:27:04 AM »
This just go's to show you that you cant take anything for grantted
I needed to cut down a new  tank to fit in a new ship. after popping the back cover off and looking inside I found that the una flow tube had been soldered at least 3/16 higher than the feed tube ..this would drive someone trying to get an even run both ways crazy

I don't know the brand of the tank ,but always keep an open mind when trying to dial in a new ship
rad racer

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Defective new tank
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 09:34:07 AM »
I buy this brand of tank.  They always need some reworking, but as long as I check my work they work fine in the end.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 10:46:51 AM »
I buy this brand of tank.  They always need some reworking, but as long as I check my work they work fine in the end.

Oh haha. I actually clicked on that and everything

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 10:59:47 AM »
Oh haha. I actually clicked on that and everything

And I'm not a smartass.  I'm just -- uh -- differently serious.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 11:01:34 AM »
And I'm not a smartass.  I'm just -- uh -- differently serious.

Actually, after reading so many bits of tank advice that center around "always pop the end off the tank and check before you use it" my general response is -- why bother?  Aside from the fact that I simply can't make an end cap as nice as the factory ones, why shouldn't I just build my own tanks?
AMA 64232

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 09:45:57 PM »
I just got one off the hobby shop rack for the Red 'pants. I needed every bit of length I could jam into the plane so I was going to shorten a longer tank. So I unsoldered the endcap. Lots of rust adjacent to every solder joint. I would have been unclogging filters forever....

So looking inside would appear to be necessary unless you want to gamble. If you are building it permanently (hopefully?) into your fuselage, then looking inside or building your own seems mandatory. I haven't seen any crooked plumbing yet, though. Bob drew that lucky card. Glad you caught it before it got to be a real nuisance!

McDivot

« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 08:49:02 PM by Dave Hull »

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 10:09:11 PM »
Interesting though. I have a tank on my ringmaster that I raised quite a bit. The run got gooder, but not perfect. I wonder if I should check that

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 11:13:30 PM »
Danish,

If you have the time, I would check it. It is usually better to tune things up than just live with them.

I would try "surveying" it before you go to the trouble of popping it open. Take the tank off. Find a level bench. Fill your syringe with some test fuel. Lay tank along edge of bench and fill thru feed line until it just starts to come out the uniflow. (This assumes an "all tubes forward on centerline" tank.)  Pick the tank up and avoid spilling any fuel. Lay it down on the opposite side (top becomes bottom) and see if fuel comes out. If not, continue filling until it just starts to come out. Pick the tank up and flip it over again. Now if it does, then the two lines are not at the same height, and you can guesstimate how far off they are. You get the idea, and can work out the variations.

Or you can just unsolder it if you like doing that kind of thing....

McDivot

PS--You might also eyeball the tank from the side. Sometimes they are not quite level and that can screw you up. It is easy to do if the thrustline and the wing centerline are offset, and if the nose doesn't have any straight, horizontal edges.

Tom Vieira

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 01:24:54 PM »
I've been having a bear of a time with Brodak tanks lately.  one DOA, another was fine for a couple of flights, but now is suffering from no flow, just like the first...

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 08:30:50 PM »
I've been having a bear of a time with Brodak tanks lately.  one DOA, another was fine for a couple of flights, but now is suffering from no flow, just like the first...

I have seen a lot of people having trouble with "new" Veco T21 style tanks lately, and many of them were due to rust, severe in some cases. I have no idea where they come from, but whoever is putting them together seems to be using some sort of acid flux (which should be completely unnecessary( and then not neutralizing it. Some types of acid flux (like the type supplied in the Sta-Brite kit) *can't be effectively removed* no matter what you do.

Rusting tanks are *very rare* if you do it correctly.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here