News:

• April 24, 2024, 11:41:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Old Fox 35  (Read 1858 times)

Offline John Watson

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Old Fox 35
« on: April 03, 2019, 04:42:23 PM »
I just took an old Fox 35 that hasn't been run in many years. I cleaned it up and mounted it on a Twister. When I tried to get it running it would run for about two seconds and quit. I tried two different tanks and the fuel is 10% nitro and synthetic oil. I tried for an hour but it would just run for a second and quit.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Old Fox 35
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 04:43:10 PM »
Need all castor.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 05:23:10 PM »
   I'll agree on making sure you have enough oil in the fuel, but it should run on just about anything. Short bursts like this is classic needle valve setting. If it has a stock needle valve, make sure you have it open at least 8 turns or more. I've seen them where they are almost ready to fall out. You can file the flat spot a bit bigger to let in more fuel, or try a Fox tapered needle like the went to for the last years of production. And make sure the holes in the spray bar are both open. I'm betting that is your issue.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 06:41:37 AM »
Sounds like its running out of prime and stopping...or glow plug is flaming out. Try blowing into a fuel line connected to the nva and turn the needle to make sure its metering. If using the flat needle it lets more fuel in on the flat side and the relation to the spray bar makes a big difference. The flat needle can actually be a different number of turns out and meter exactly the same as the flat changes its angle to the spray bar. 
Bill P.

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 07:03:17 AM »
The other suggestions are probably the solution, but it never hurts to try a different glow plug. 

Joe Ed Pederson
Cuba, MO

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 07:22:21 AM »
It sounds like the prime is burning but the engine will not draw fuel from the tank.  If you have tried all the suggestions and you are sure that the fuel system has no clogs anywhere, then check the spray bar orientation.

The Fox spray bar has two fuel discharge holes.  Some say these holes are drilled 180 degrees apart, others say the holes should be at some angle less than 180 degrees.  I have no idea which is correct since the accuracy Fox was able (or willing) to produce was a bit sloppy at times.

A friend of mine once had the same problem you described.  When I looked at the engine, into the venturi, I could see that the spray bar was rotated such that I could see one of the holes.  Make sure the spray bar is rotated such that you can't see either of the two holes, or maybe you will be able to see only the edge of the holes if they are actually 180 degrees apart.

Offline John Watson

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 07:30:43 AM »
Thanks for all the input. I will use your input and hopefully have an old Fox back in the circle again.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 12:16:43 PM »
I think as said it is running out the prime. Fox needles need to be open a good 8 turns. They can run really rich and still run, but lean not at all.
Jim Kraft

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 12:59:21 PM »
The "open up the needle" advice is good.  I expected to run at 3 turns, but opened to five.  Spent an hour with really short runs.  Turns out 9 turns was good.  A Super Tigre NVA was a marked improvement.  Overall, taking the time to bench run the engine can be convenient and productive.

Also, the comment  that the Fox will cut lean matches my experience.  With my O.S. LA 46, I can set the needle for peak RPM with a tach, searching lean and rich to find the max.  With the Fox, once lean, it quits right away.

Offline John Watson

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 07:10:45 PM »
As my 1960's memories kick in while reading all the comments I vaguely remember my flying buddy saying..."open the needle valve John...…...more John , more...….

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 07:31:00 PM »
I doubt that stock needle valves are all made exactly identical, especially Fox.  Nothing wrong with filing a needle to make it shorter, introducing more fuel.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 07:51:34 PM »
I doubt that stock needle valves are all made exactly identical, especially Fox.  Nothing wrong with filing a needle to make it shorter, introducing more fuel.

When I tried to run the Fox.35 in MIke Gretz's Fierce Arrow for the first time, I kept turning it out until it fell out and it was still not rich enough! So I filed the flat spot on the side of the needle, not the end of it. Just eyeballed it and was able to go back in three full turns. And I NEVER run a stock Fox needle valve without putting a short length of fuel line on the needle, just about the length of the threads, to seal off the threads so it won't suck air past the threads. Fox needle valve assemblies are not the pinnacle of accuracy but they can be made to work well enough for most uses.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 09:43:57 AM »
John,
Just make sure the needle is sealed with a piece of fuel tubing between the block boss and the ratchet wheel (usually about 3/8" length). Other option is to replace the Fox unit with a Randy Smith Fox-PA NVA or for sport flying or light ship a ST51 NVA.  Last thought is since this is a profile consider doing the stick in the bypass mod (see below).

Best,    DennisT

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 09:55:19 AM »
I just took an old Fox 35 that hasn't been run in many years. I cleaned it up and mounted it on a Twister. When I tried to get it running it would run for about two seconds and quit. I tried two different tanks and the fuel is 10% nitro and synthetic oil. I tried for an hour but it would just run for a second and quit.

As noted by everyone above, not enough fuel it getting in.

But, If it worked before, it should work again, particularly with the very thin fuel you are attempting to use.  Take out the needle and spraybar, and put them in a small container (like a 35mm film can), fill it up with lacquer thinner, shake it up, and then let it sit for an hour or so. Then get some wire (like 1/32 music wire) and poke it through, and get absolutely everything out of it. I also use a small bottle brush that comes with the Sullivan Fuel System Cleaning kit, or the ones you can get at the drugstore to clean between teeth.

Also as noted above, if you are using typical RC fuel with all synthetic oil, you need to add a very large amount of castor oil. It may be lucky you couldn't get it going, because if you had, the fuel might have damaged the engine. I would not use any less than 25% oil, mostly castor, and up to 30% wouldn't hurt anything, except for raising your paper towel costs.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here