News:

• May 13, 2024, 08:55:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alternative to the Fox circlips?  (Read 2482 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Alternative to the Fox circlips?
« on: April 28, 2015, 09:28:03 AM »
    Hi All:

Is there an alternative to those &^$%^&(^&  Fox wrist pin circlips?  Is there a source for brass or nylon pads? 

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: Alternative to the Fox circlips?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 01:00:04 PM »
    Hi All:

Is there an alternative to those &^$%^&(^&  Fox wrist pin circlips?  Is there a source for brass or nylon pads? 

Tia,

Frank McCune

You have to use the FOX  clips, however if you put the piston in a large clear baggie when installing, they stay there instead of flying all over the room when they spring off. that technique will save you a lot of time and trouble, if you use  pads you will need to turn them your self

Randy

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 05:54:08 PM »
           Hi Randy:

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried the plastic bag, thumb nails, finger nails, hemostats, tweezers etc.etc, and still can not get the last one to fit into the groove.  I am down to my last one and Fox has no more!

I have a collection of Fox p&c and wrist pins.  Some used circlips and some used brass pads.  I would like to get all of these parts used in engines but the circlips drive me wild! I have been told just to work them in with your thumb nail and fingernail.  Easy enough! Lol I had an engine "expert" have me take the parts to him and he was going to demonstrate how easy it was to install them.  After awhile, he gave up! Lol

Stay well my friend,

Frank McCune

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 07:43:36 PM »
Hi Frank

I have set 1000s of the circlips in place on all types of motors, it is easy when you do that many, frustrating if you only have done a few, at least the clear baggy  trick keeps them for you so you do not lose them.
Try a wooden icecream stick , or epoxy mixing stick, they work pretty well pushing them into place, then you can use a large  T-pin  to set the clip in the groove

Randy

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 09:40:28 PM »
It's critical to get the grooves clean of carbon and gunk. I use a hemostat, but it has a very small tip. I've made my own for ST's from solid lines, and never had a problem, either with them, or stock ones. I don't recall if any Fox I've had used circlips or not, tho.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 10:23:49 PM »
I have set 1000s of the circlips in place on all types of motors, it is easy when you do that many, frustrating if you only have done a few, at least the clear baggy  trick keeps them for you so you do not lose them.

We were out one day at a site with heavily degraded blacktop, and either Ted or Dave sproinged out one of the circlips in a 46VF AAC, into the mix of very rough pavement and loose gravel. I ended up *finding the thing* in what amounts to a pile of pea gravel! That was when I could still focus at close distances - not much chance of a repeat given their current state.

The carpet in my bedroom/workshop is another story. Its probably distorting the local magnetic fiel with all the random bits embedded in it!

Brett

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 06:34:34 AM »
     Hi All:

Thanks for the replies.

Randy: perhaps I just gave up too soon! Lol

Yes, there is nothing better than experience to learn a skill!

Stay well my friends,

Frank McCune

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 04:40:51 PM »

i made a tool by grinding down the end of a pair of small Snap On needle nose pliers. ( and use the Baggy.

if you are going to use the wrist pin end pads  ,make sure  that the wrist pin dosent go  past any of the transfer ports or garenteed it will end up in one of the ports

once they went to schnurly stuff  they went to clips,  the reason that OS and most of the Chinese engines have thier sleeve turned at about a 45 deg angle is so the pads can run on a solid wall
rad racer

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 08:19:48 PM »
    Hi All:

Is there an alternative to those &^$%^&(^&  Fox wrist pin circlips? 

Tia,

Frank McCune

Make a new piston with a tighter gudgeon pin hole and use a press fit pin?
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 09:29:14 AM »
I found a small coil spring with the same wire diameter and OD of the Fox circlips.

You can cut as many as you need.

Bob Z.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 11:32:18 AM »
     Hi Robert:

Tell us more about the coil spring you found.  Where would one find one?

Tia,

Frank

Offline David Fountain

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 06:04:55 PM »
Oh I can relate to those dang cir-clips, granted that this is my First fox .35 I've lost quite a few on other engines. It's an art getting those suckers in there and I still have yet to master it lol. I use a baggie and a brass rod ground down to a point and along with my finger I get one edge of the clip in the hole and use the point to walk the rest of it in then I poke around the inside of the clip to make sure it's seated in the groove. (David)
If it ain't broke, Don't Fix It!!

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 11:55:13 AM »
Here are the clips I made from springs.
The small one is .015 wire, the large one .019.

They were made from some springs I found in an miniature spring assortment box I bought many years ago.

As mentioned, you can also make the clips from music wire.
Just measure the wire diameter of the Fox clips and wind a few turns on a piece of rod.
Then, cut off a few and bend the holding tab.

Works for me.

Bob Z.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here