News:

• May 01, 2024, 05:40:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS LA Series Pealing Liner Coating  (Read 662 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
OS LA Series Pealing Liner Coating
« on: May 07, 2019, 10:51:07 AM »
blank
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 09:43:48 AM by Motorman »

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: OS LA Series Pealing Liner Coating
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 10:57:00 AM »
I know at one time the LA series had a problem with the coating in the bore pealing off. I see some pistons are cast and others are cut from bar stock I think the cast pistons might be older? When buying new old stock can you tell which sleeves are prone to pealing by the piston construction? Any way to tell from the code on the package?

Run it stock, don't grind on it, and don't take it apart, and for stunt you will not have a problem. Even GMA himself, the leader of the "junk peeling nickel" patrol, finally admitted that he had never seen one damaged in stunt use without some other extenuating circumstance.

Brett

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: OS LA Series Pealing Liner Coating
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 03:35:53 PM »
I bought an LA 25 the first year.  It took a year to break in a tight shaft bearing.  Then it ran fine in combat for two more years before the sleeve wore out.
If you can't feel the scratch with a finger tip it's unlikely to have any effect, especially in stunt. A tiny scratch will lose some amount of power, but it won't kill it.
The only alternative is getting it plated, or get a Gardner sleeve.

Another take on LA sleeves.  That ^ engine had a bare brass spot below the ports from day one.  It ran fine until it wore out.  I got a new sleeve.  It had a bare spot in exactly the same place.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here