News:

• April 16, 2024, 04:09:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clunk tank "a ha" moment  (Read 764 times)

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Clunk tank "a ha" moment
« on: June 18, 2019, 10:56:09 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong here while I remove the dent from my forehead. I struggled mightily over the last couple of weeks with an OS 46LA not running up to speed, but likely solved the problem by cleaning a couple of hairy goobers out of the NVA. What took me so long? Well, I'd been running a filter in the engine fuel feed line, so ruled out a clogged NVA. Wrongo assumption!

The problematic setup: a clunk tank with a muffler pressure feed and a fuel feed only; no third vent. I'd been filling the tank through the fuel feed line (and filter!), with venting provided by the muffler pressure line. It fueled up nicely, so why bother with that third pipe?! Well yes, but the filter was doing me no good (insert "zoot-alohrs" and other choice words here!). So from now on, I'll use that third pipe to fuel the beast, cap it off when done and let the filter work as intended.

Ah, the learning curve of this most fascinating sport!

Mo....
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Clunk tank "a ha" moment
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 11:49:08 AM »
Or use the fill line but not the filter.  I have a 2-hole setup like that on a profile; I fill by taking the tube off of the tank.

Yes, loading up the "clean" side of your filter with crap is not a good idea...
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 03:58:01 PM »
I occasionally remove the fuel filter and blow hard through it the opposite way.  But how do I know if I got it clean?  Can't see in it or through it.  I think soaking in acetone is no better than a hard blow.  I like those old filters that you could take apart.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 10:13:40 AM »
Great.  I have used those DuBro filters.  Unfortunately, they are a bit large, and often there isn't room for one of those.  Requires planning before-hand.  I don't usually do that.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 11:15:47 AM »
I occasionally remove the fuel filter and blow hard through it the opposite way.  But how do I know if I got it clean?  Can't see in it or through it.  I think soaking in acetone is no better than a hard blow.  I like those old filters that you could take apart.

http://www.dubjett.com/accy2015.html

about 75% of the way down, these are the same diameter as medium fuel line. But, these are better as filters:

http://sullivanproducts.com/product/s187-tanktoenginefuelfilter/

and also just a bit larger than the fuel tubing.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here