News:

• April 25, 2024, 08:58:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: O S L A 40 set up  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
O S L A 40 set up
« on: June 21, 2018, 06:32:16 PM »

I sorta feel like I am beating a dead horse here, but I sure could use some advice/suggestions to get this engine to run consistently for stunt use.
  I have tried various fuel's from 5% -- 10% nitro and 22% oil half/half, a Super tiger and P A 40 needles assy, Thunder tiger glow plug,  11x5 and 11x4 props (A P C) on airplanes weighing from 48-50 ounces, sometime I can get good runs, then other times I can't get a good one on a bet.

What suggestions do y'all have?   Thanks
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: O S L A 40 set up
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 09:10:40 PM »
    There is a section at the top of this section that lists people's set up. Check out those threads and see what you can find. Really hard to diagnose a problem over the internet. It has to be something that you are or are NOT doing. And as far as the LA.40 is concerned, send any that you don't want to me. I find them as easy to handle as the .46 is.  As far as the glow plug, do you mean Thunderbolt? I'm not familiar with Thunder Tigre plugs, and that may be the issue. Get yourself some Glow devil R/C long plugs, as Thunderbolts are no longer available, or some of the Merlin hot plugs. I would start there with the same props in the 4 inch pitch range.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 12:09:53 AM »
I have three LA40s (and four LA46s) and they work fine for me, though not quite as good as the LA46. You don't mention what venturi you are using, which makes a huge difference, and whether you are using an air filter (ditto). Have you tried the stock OS NVA? It is a very good unit and resistant to air leaks. One of my LA40s is dead stock with remote needle valve, stock muffler, plastic backplate, and runs well for our purposes with APC 11 x 4 on Sig 10-10-10 fuel. You probably already know this, but they like to run at higher rpm than older motors at a constant 2-stroke. Give it a chance, it is a good motor that can be made to work well in stunt in a model in the 550 inch range. This is in dry sea-level air in NorCal, so your experience may be different.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 12:29:13 PM »
My two planes for sport flying...no PAMPA pattern ===run fine with ASP 11x4 5%or 10% Vitimin N and mostly syth 20% and muffler pressure.... Standard tank open vent or uniflow tank open vent always seemed to be erratic....Hays type clunk with Muffler pressure evened out the run FOR ME
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 01:58:33 PM »

Dan, I meant thunder bolt, musta had tiger needle assy's on my mind.  The venture is 9/32" and I am gonna make it some where in the .267-.275 range, also it has two (2) stock head gaskets on it.  Several years ago Dee Rice had one on a P-40 stunt model, and had cut some of the head fins ad the cyl fins off to keep the plug hotter.

To the rest of the guy's sure do thank y'all for the help, and don't stop with the suggestions.  If everybody else can get good runs I hope that I can also..

Remember keep those cards and letters coming in...Bubba
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 03:31:36 PM »

Dan M I sent ya a personal message...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 04:08:42 PM »
           I treat mine like the FP.40. I like the APC 10.5 x 4.5 in my Oriental. Randy Smith tongue muffler with the holes slightly enlarged and the  up front OS assembly and Powermaster 5-22. I found the stock OS plug A3 works for me the best. I haven't confirmed the venturi size as it wasn't changed but I do have 3 of them and one has a bad attitude.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here