News:

• April 25, 2024, 06:03:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: O S 30 S prop  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
O S 30 S prop
« on: September 08, 2019, 12:46:36 PM »

What would be a good prop to use for break-in of this engine, also what would be a good prop to fly with?  I am thinking about a Magician 48" wing span from Walter Umland, and I am open to suggestions.  Thanks a lot...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: O S 30 S prop
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 02:08:15 PM »
For break-in an APC 9x4 would work, these steel/iron engine need high oil at least 25% should be mostly castor for break-in (75%c/25%S). After break-in still 25% oil but could go to 50/50. First few runs go rich then start pinching the fuel line to bring it into a short 2 cycle burst then back to rich. After about 20 minutes of 5 min runs start leaning it out a bit till it holds a rich 2. Fly it on a 9x6.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 08:22:51 PM »
These engines are superior to the Foxes for all around fun flying! However my favorite prop for the Foxes may just be a fine choice for the 30 and 35S's! That prop is the MSAS 9.5 X 6 as factory made which is to say do not cut a standard 10 X 6 MAS down to that dimension it's not the same result! Buy the original 9.5 X 6 factory made model! When I was coming out of Beginner into Intermediate back in 1986/7 I flew my OS .35S on a Cartier Profile FW 190 and a Zero as published in MA. These plans were scratch built using Phil's Plans and his Combat Foam core wings! They're not up to the standards provided by the Twisters of the day but flew nicely for me and looked really neat! I flew my 35S so much it wore out after three seasons! That engine ran well with a MAS 10 X 6. The back plate cavity was filled with melted wheel weights from my favorite tire store and captured with a brass plate bolted over the opening! The Zero had a fairly short nose moment which made the added engine ballast necessary!

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 10:33:25 PM »
Heres a OS 30 - S on a 10 x 6 prop . in 1976 . But it should still work these days . It had the largwer of the three OS 20 intakes you got when you gotem from Radar in Kowloon . Std intake in the Demon it ran a 9 x 6 . The Phantom weighed 43 Oz with muffler .& tailweight .

The 35s like the 10 x 4 3 blades , might be a bit slow for the 30 as its lower timed . If youve a 9 x 6 3 Bl , try that maybe .

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 01:57:35 AM »
GREAT little  engine,  and  a  strong 30, will pull a  Stiletto , and  NOBLER,  I break in with a  10 x 3  and  run  with a  10x 6 , I still have many of the  new  used  and  special AAC, would not hesitate  to use one  today,  GREAT for  classic and  many OLD TIME ships,  light weight  smooth running,  U min  25%  oil  and  I would use ( I did use ) half synthetic,
have fun with it

Randy
Best props  BOLLY 10 x 6 Aero 10 x 6
Rev UP 10 x 6 Pro
BYO 10 x 6
Cyclone  10 x 6
and I also used back many years  ago  the  Black Taipan 10 x 6

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 07:40:30 AM »
This was one of my first stunt engines circa 1974.  Mine was on a Sig Banshee.  That engine ran great for me, though others said that model shook a lot.  Well, they say that about the Super Tigre 46, too. 

That Banshee flew great until one day I pulled the handle the wrong way.  I worked at a hobby shop at the time, near Washington, DC, and somewhat often got gifts of stunters from folks being transferred elsewhere.  My next stunter was a Nobler with a Fox .35 that broke the crank four times.  To this day, I continue to enjoy buying built planes and putting my focus on flying.

Oh, your question.  Probably a 9x6.

Peter

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here