News:

• April 24, 2024, 05:40:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: O% nitro fuel  (Read 2863 times)

Offline baum58

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
O% nitro fuel
« on: March 19, 2020, 07:54:51 AM »
Hello to all,

I am looking for 0% nitro fuel. Can anyone direct me where to order some?

Thanks Peter

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: O% nitro fuel
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 07:56:46 AM »
I haven't kept track of who sells it, but if you're buying from US suppliers they usually call it "FAI Fuel".
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 08:19:21 AM »
Rich’s Brew or make your own . Big box stores sell methanol and hobby shops have castor or Klotz. Go cart and motorcycle shops also  sell synthetic oil. Just make sure you get alcohol compatible oil .

Brad

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 08:31:45 AM »
SIG offers it in their Champion Fuel, scroll down to the FAI description. Can I ask why you want it, SIG claims it's a cheaper alternative without the methanol. Are there performance benefits?

Steve

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 09:41:46 AM »
Some of the motors manufactured in the old Eastern Bloc countries run
best with no nitro. I have been using the Discovery Retro line of motors
for several years now. They run best with no nitro. Four ounces of fuel
per flight and much cheaper fuel, a good combo.

Steve

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 09:58:02 AM »
Can you advise what the power/heat/cooling effects are on an engine with zero nitro?

Steve

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 11:24:33 AM »
Can you advise what the power/heat/cooling effects are on an engine with zero nitro?

If you take almost any typical stunt engine that works well now with regular fuel, you will find greatly reduced power, much touchier needle, and harder starting. Since the power is down so much, you will have to run it much leaner, which will make it run much hotter. Some engines will be very difficult, others may work OK.

You need a fundamentally different engine setup with FAI fuel, typically with MUCH more compression than you normally use, or a different engine designed to run on it from the start.

Brett

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 11:27:42 AM »
Back in the day when our local hobby shop was out of fuel, my flying buddy and I used to make our own 80/20 drug store fuel with methanol and castor purchased at our corner pharmacy.  Not very exciting if you are used to nitro fuels but at least we could fly.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 12:32:24 PM »
If you look at Lauri Malila's posts, he's working on The Ultimate Stunt Engine, and he's starting with using FAI fuel.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 01:00:47 PM »
Almost all my IC engines are Stalkers of various displacements. They come from Molodavia I believe, where they are designed from the git go to run FAI fuel, with about 17-18% synthetic oil.

In my opinion, they run best on this fuel. They will tolerate 5% nitro, though not needed. They do not need Castor added. It only leaves a burnt on residue on top of the piston, (and elsewhere) that will have to be removed ( de coked) or the run may deteriorate.

Many imported engines will run on 0% nitro fuel, but knowing how we love to tilt the nitro bottle, and feel we must use castor on every engine, the manufactures make allowances in their designs to allow for our desires.

I like that FAI fuel is less expensive, and run fine on my engines of choice.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 01:19:51 PM »
As Brett said, engines for FAI fuel want much higher compression ratios than engines for stunt with fuels containing Nitro Methane. Typically in the 10.0 to 11.0 to 1 compression ratios. Much of the rest of the world run their engines with FAI fuels.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Ruslan Kurenkov

• Commander
  • UKR 995 / FAI 91828
    • controllineparts.com
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2020, 02:49:07 PM »
Almost all my IC engines are Stalkers of various displacements. They come from Molodavia I believe, where they are designed from the git go to run FAI fuel, with about 17-18% synthetic oil.

In my opinion, they run best on this fuel. They will tolerate 5% nitro, though not needed. They do not need Castor added. It only leaves a burnt on residue on top of the piston, (and elsewhere) that will have to be removed ( de coked) or the run may deteriorate.

Many imported engines will run on 0% nitro fuel, but knowing how we love to tilt the nitro bottle, and feel we must use castor on every engine, the manufactures make allowances in their designs to allow for our desires.

I like that FAI fuel is less expensive, and run fine on my engines of choice.
Hi John!
Very good people live and work in Moldova, our good friends, these are professional engine builders who build a lot of different engines and spare parts for them.
For example, engines for Brodak. B25 and B40.
Stalker engines are produced in Ukraine.
They really have an increased compression ratio and use fuel exclusively without nitromethane. They actually use 16-18% of engine oil of which half is castor oil and half is synthetic oil.
I will advise you to buy pure methanol that drag racers, castor oil and synthetics for 2T engines use that dissolve in methanol and stir the fuel yourself.
Regards
Ruslan Kurenkov

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2020, 08:52:53 PM »
The only stunt type engines I've used started with a Merco 35 then an Enya 45 model 6001 (the early twin ringed version) then ST G51, Stalker 61RE, OS VF40/46 piped, Irvine 40RLS (piped) and Enya 61CXLRS. All were run with zero nitro. All would start with one flick so I doubt that equates to hard to start :). Power was more than adequate even when running in a 4 stroke so definitely weren't leaned to the max. Needling may be more sensitive compared to using nitro but this is simply a matter of the different air/fuel ratio requirements where zero nitro gives lower fuel consumption. Given this lower fuel consumption I never use less than 20% oil simply to keep a decent flow rate of oil through the engine.

Apart from the Irvine, which has a 12.5:1 compression, the rest of my engines listed could benefit from raised compression to get the most from zero nitro and in fact I did that with the Enya 61 by raising it's compression from the standard 8.8 to 12.5:1 which, when fully peaked out, had a 26% increase in HP. I have no idea how much nitro would have been needed for that much gain.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 10:31:46 PM »
The only stunt type engines I've used started with a Merco 35 then an Enya 45 model 6001 (the early twin ringed version) then ST G51, Stalker 61RE, OS VF40/46 piped, Irvine 40RLS (piped) and Enya 61CXLRS. All were run with zero nitro. All would start with one flick so I doubt that equates to hard to start :). Power was more than adequate even when running in a 4 stroke so definitely weren't leaned to the max. Needling may be more sensitive compared to using nitro but this is simply a matter of the different air/fuel ratio requirements where zero nitro gives lower fuel consumption. Given this lower fuel consumption I never use less than 20% oil simply to keep a decent flow rate of oil through the engine.

Apart from the Irvine, which has a 12.5:1 compression, the rest of my engines listed could benefit from raised compression to get the most from zero nitro and in fact I did that with the Enya 61 by raising it's compression from the standard 8.8 to 12.5:1 which, when fully peaked out, had a 26% increase in HP. I have no idea how much nitro would have been needed for that much gain.

Essentially all competitive stunt engines in the USA are set up to run around 10-15% nitro in the summer. If you just put FAI fuel in it, it will be hard to start, needle will be finicky, and it will have to be run much leaner to recover the power. In many cases, you can't remove enough head gaskets to even make it work on 5%, because the head volume is still too much even if you had the squish band hitting the piston.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2020, 10:43:22 PM »
I've fiddle-farted with Cox 049 engines to make them happy on 5% nitro.  You have to increase compression a lot -- removing shims doesn't do it.  I basically ended up machining a new head.
AMA 64232

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2020, 10:50:55 PM »
I've fiddle-farted with Cox 049 engines to make them happy on 5% nitro.  You have to increase compression a lot -- removing shims doesn't do it.  I basically ended up machining a new head.

Exactly. I run what Dub and Richard call a "high-compression" head button, with one .003" gasket, and run 15% in the midwest summer. Short of making a new head button, or tig welding more metal into the head, it will be running in "meltdown mode" on 5% (which is how I managed to melt my pipe at the 2001 TT), and be a disaster on FAI.

If people want to try it, go ahead, but in most cases, you will be giving up a lot of performance.

There - I figure that this will induce a bunch of people to try it just to prove me wrong. See how diabolical my plans are?

Brett

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2020, 11:22:00 AM »
This is an interesting thread. There seems to be some engines  - Discovery, Stalker's run competitively on 0% Nitro and run worst on fuels with Nitro. Also seems that to run 0% successfully you need compression ratio's around 12.5 : 1. Would be interesting if some of our machinist  types would make up some HC heads and see if other popular engines would work well on 0% nitro.

For this to be accepted some of the top guys would have to try it and get it to work. I know, why change what works. Advantage would be lower cost fuel, simple dope paint, no need for "death paint", less shift in CG with lower fuel load.

This takes time and is one reason things in Stunt change so slowly, but maybe since we are now kinda home some work could be done.

Best,    DennisT
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 06:41:51 PM by Dennis Toth »

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2020, 12:01:54 PM »
   I've been reading more about high vs low nitro , high compression  vs low compression & some of the combinations including hot vs cool glow plugs lately. Maybe I'll anoy my neighbors tomorrow running a few combinations in my back yard.
         John

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2020, 04:34:09 AM »
For a while I ran my cox engines on a mix of hardware store denatured alcohol and grocery store castor oil. Denatured alcohol is a mix of mostly ethanol with some methanol. I used the TD heads and played with the shims. I used this in a TD .049 and a “custom bee” assembled from various parts. I never really did any power comparisons, but they started on one or two flips and ran cool enough that I could touch the head while running and not get burned. I attributed the cooler running temperature to using about 30% castor.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2020, 04:42:40 AM »
I should point out that ethanol has a higher content of carbon and hydrogen than methanol. For the same volume, you get more power from denatured alcohol than pure methanol.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2020, 07:07:46 AM »
I got a picture of a Stalker head from Brian G, they use a cross flow scavenging baffled piston. The head shape is a wide squish band looks like double the normal width and a small hemi center bubble about 30% bigger than the standard glow plug diameter. Compression is 10+ to 1.

Wayne, yes the ethanol has a heat value of  12769 btu/lb compared to 9888 btu/lb for methanol. The difference is that methanol has a little wider fuel/air ratio that allows burning a tad more fuel to make up for the lower heat value. They both should be similar output. It is interesting that you did run the denatured alcohol as that is what I was thinking could be the one to try. Using 30% oil likely increase the effective compression which also helped. The other fuel of interest is E85 which is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. This might run a bit hotter but would be very cheap, one thing with this is to get true E85 not flex fuel which contains less ethanol.

Thanks for your input, now all we need to someone to make high compression heads for some of the popular engines.

Best,   DennisT
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 04:27:37 PM by Dennis Toth »

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2020, 10:09:30 AM »
Back in the day when our local hobby shop was out of fuel, my flying buddy and I used to make our own 80/20 drug store fuel with methanol and castor purchased at our corner pharmacy.  Not very exciting if you are used to nitro fuels but at least we could fly.

That's exactly what we did back in the late 50s and early 60s. When Fox fuel was scarce my dad would take me to the local drug store (you know the ones that used to have soda fountains) and the owner would mix it up for us. If worked fine but we only flew Fox engines.
Bill P.

Offline katana

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2020, 05:27:08 AM »
I got a picture of a Stalker head from Brian G, they use a cross flow scavenging baffled piston. The head shape is a wide squish band looks like double the normal width and a small hemi center bubble about 30% bigger than the standard glow plug diameter. Compression is 10+ to 1.

https://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=56012.0;attach=309968;image

Strange - you would have thought a more 'true' hemi chamber would work better - no empirical evidence except notion that flames don't tend to burn well into corners?

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2020, 05:41:32 AM »
I noticed the same, looks a bit rough. Propably due to lack of proper tooling or skills.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2020, 08:04:44 AM »
That is a photo of an actual Stalker 66 head from Brian G. Brian is a Stalker dealer and was kind enough to send the photo. Since the Stalker's like 0% nitro I thought the head design would be worth looking at. To get the baffled piston to have the 10+:1 compression (which Brian also verified) I thought they needed to do something and it looks to me they used the squish band as the way to reduce the combustion chamber volume and still clear the baffle.

If others have different head designs that work with the 0% nitro please post them, always more then one way to do it.

Best,   DennisT

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2020, 08:30:09 AM »
This is a Retro .76 head. I think retro is a littlle more sophisticated desing than Stalker and knowing Yuriy, every detail is a result of lots of thinking and testing.
It is bell-shaped with squish clearance 1,0mm, that gives a 1,4cc head volume.
Titanium umbrella is 1,0mm thick (foot ø 2,0mm) and it's pressed to 4mm deep hole with 0,1mm interference fit. It's pressed to about 0,1mm below the rim of "squish band".
It has also a sort of thoroidal combustion chamber, the plug protrudes 0,6mm into the combustion chamber. In general it's possible to use a slightly higher CR with a thoroid shape. L

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2020, 08:36:51 AM »
I think these are Skif 9,5 heads.

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2020, 09:27:03 AM »
https://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=56012.0;attach=309968;image

Strange - you would have thought a more 'true' hemi chamber would work better - no empirical evidence except notion that flames don't tend to burn well into corners?

I don't think we have any flame front propagation problems with our engines. Considering we are talking bores less than 1' in diameter. When the engine has a 4" or larger bore running up to 10,000 RPM even with a 4 stroke that is 5000 firings a minute. That is 83.3 firings a second with at least a 2" flame travel requirement. A hemispherical combustion chamber has poor turbulence, therefore lazy flame front propagation. That is why Drag Race Hemi engines running Nitro use twin plugs.
Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2020, 09:37:05 AM »
Flame propagation is not the main issue. Big open chamber is better for stability because the combustion process area is less dependant on temperature and combustion frequence. You loose in efficiency but power is rarely a problem nowadays.
Stunt is an exception because the engine must be stable outside peak power, and if we are not sure how big part of  mixture is consumed at each combustion we cannot expect stability (but hysteresis). L

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2020, 10:08:07 AM »
I assume the umbrella is there to shield the plug from getting too wet with an incoming charge.

Best,   DennisT

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2020, 10:29:33 AM »
Maybe, and also pre-heat the incoming charge and somehow stabilize the process.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2020, 08:44:46 AM »
One thing that occurred to me about starting on 0% nitro is if using a standard NiCad glow driver you are down on voltage. NiCad's are around 1.2 - 1.3 volts off the charger. Most plugs were designed for the old dry cell voltage of 1.5V. Simply going up to this voltage would give a hotter plug temp and easier starting. As a kid our club (Perth Amboy MAC, NJ club) had a guy that sold 2V wet cells. Some plugs could take this and in the winter you could really tell the difference.

One way to get there today is either use a Power Panel and get to at least 1.5V ish or there was a single cell glow driver (Hangar 9 glow driver d-c alkaline) that would use a C-D size alkaline cell which is 1.5V (don't know how many starts you get from this). Maybe there is a way to use an A123 or Life cell which is 3+V and some type of button resistor to get to 1.5 - 2V (I don't know what the value of the resistor would need to be or if a button design exists).   

Another little trick is to make sure the last loop of the glow element is at least level with the end of the plug body. This is a good one for Fox plugs as sometime it is back a little and the plug runs colder.

Best,  DennisT

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2020, 09:13:45 AM »
But I don’t understand this talk about starting difficulties, it’s simply not an issue. Of course, the plug must have the correct V and enough A to keep it hot in all conditons. And it must glow red. If it’s hotter, the engine may fire too early, that hurts.
And, you must keep the engine from getting hot in sunshine. I allways keep a wet cloth over the model nose to keep it cool.
Usually good ABC- and AAC engines have quite tight piston fit. So tight that they can be difficult to flick when cold, especially with synthetic oil. There is 2 solutions for that; to burp the engine warm before flight, or to use priming fuel with castor oil. You can also put 5...10% of nitro in the priming fuel but in my opinion it’s not necessary. L

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2020, 10:42:04 AM »
https://www.atbatt.com/enersys-hawker-cyclon-single-cell-2v-5ah-x-cell-battery/

If you never played with these very low cost 2vdc lead acid primary cells you are missing out....5ah makes any rayovac D cell seem like a button cell

I use either wire gage/length or high Amp resistors to bring down to 1.7 volts....only fine filament cox types heads will not tolerate over 1.5 vdc....all others seem good slightly  above 1.5 if you don't have a Amp feedback system like RCATS....my favorite

https://www.rcatsystems.com/store/lithium-glow-driver.html

most reliable igniters I know of except Howard Rush's home designed feedback source

topic was 0 nitro fuel...by now most should understand to run FAI fuel efficiently requires an engine designed for that fuel.....you can indeed force a Cox .049 TeeDee to eat that low energy fuel but why--- when they start and run so well on 35% vitamin N

oops you all were talking stunt ship engines...my bad....I bet most 60% nitro boat engine guys are wondering also....

very broad range of interests....in fact Glow fuel costs drove much of the RC market to bigger craft and Gasoline engines

just grumpy can't fly no more guy pontificating...carry on
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2020, 11:39:25 AM »
I use a small power panel (Hobbico if I remember right) and 1000mAh 3S LiPo-battery. The Chinese panel looked so ugly that I dismantled it and removed all unnecessary stuff, and made a small box out of plywood and fiberglass.
I charge it maybe every second year, often the battery goes bad before it needs to be charged.
Good thing is that those LiPo's are available more or less everywhere. L

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2020, 11:50:03 AM »
..I think it was this one. L

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2020, 12:49:25 PM »
The question was asked why the interest in 0% nitro fuel. For me I like the idea of not having to use "death paint" to protect the finish. Plain old Butyrate dope with a reasonable mask outside is enough for me. Second, easy to mix my own. Going to retire and need to plan ahead. Third, just want to do what everyone says is not the "Stunt Way". Lastly, why not. If we can find out what we need to run a simple cheap fuel what's the harm, if we can't get it to work, oh well.

L,
The hard starting was something we always hear whenever someone mentions 0% nitro fuel. Since most use the plug on glow driver with the 1.2V NiCad it pretty much explains why. BTW, Hanger 9 does have a D size plug on $10 on eBay, what plug do you like to run?

Best,    DennisT

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2020, 01:07:52 PM »
[quote author=Dennis...plug on glow driver with the 1.2V NiCad it pretty much explains why. BTW, Hanger 9 does have a D size plug on $10 on eBay, what plug do you like to run?

Best,    DennisT
[/quote]

Dennis,

I rather choose the plug that works well with the engine, rather than with glow driver🙄.
At the moment I like most the Merlin #2004, luckily I have a good stock as Mr. Merlin has passed away. L

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2020, 01:19:21 PM »
Running with no nitro VS 15% will not make a big difference in the durability of dope finishes, it will still self-destruct in pretty short order.  And, it's just as much "death paint" as dope, and if you were applying either one on an industrial scale, you would expect to have to take the same precautions. You are worried about it because people used dope with absolutely no precautions for decades because no one thought much about it, and modern finishes have only ever existed in commercial/industrial systems where these sorts of precaution and warnings were required by law. It's probably worse, but it's not like breathing a neurotoxin is considered "safe". Why do you think they call it dope?

The hard starting was something we always hear whenever someone mentions 0% nitro fuel. Since most use the plug on glow driver with the 1.2V NiCad it pretty much explains why.

That's certainly not true, a McDaniel starter puts more current through it than a D dry cell, because the internal resistance of the Ni-MH battery (not a nicad) in the McDaniel battery is much lower than the D cell and the wire. They get bright orange bordering on yellow. You would not want more current than that for fear of burning it out. Howard's regulated system is usually set to get 1V across the filament (which it gets all the time regardless of conditions).

Brett

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2020, 01:42:02 PM »
After running Stalkers almost exclusively for about 20 years, and using 0% FAI fuel with all synthetic, I am a bit bewildered by the concerns  being voiced here.

Engines designed to run 0% nitro are not, in my experience, harder to start than other engines. I start mine in the following way.

I place my finger over the venturi, and flip through 6-8 times. After this prime I flip through as i lift my finger from the venturi, thus sucking in that last slug of fuel into the engine.

Next, I flip through an  additional 6-8 times to atomize the fuel in the engine.

The engine is now ready to start.

I attach the  nicad glow driver, and while holding the prop firmly, I'll slowly pull the prop through, and feel for the "Bump".

No bump? Start over from the top.

You have a bump, then rotate the prop  until you feel it come up to compression.

Signal a start, if your making a competition flight.

I use my fingers and hit the prop clockwise back to, but not through, compression.

I get almost 100% first flip starts this way.

Unless you are running an old Classic engine where high castor fuels are needed, 10-15% synthetic/5-10% castor is all that's needed for many modern engines. Speaking of Stalkers, I've never run more than 18% all synthetic. (normally, 17%)

I feel that I'm getting the power I need, and I'm still running my first Stalker regularly with no problems.

John Miller
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2020, 01:57:34 PM »
John I think the "hard to start"  mentioned is mostly for 5% to 35% nitro compressed and timed engines...A Cox .049
 or Fora can run on 0%N but it is a pain to flip start and needle....get near 20% and the darn thing nearly starts it self. MOST of the current old stock or even current production USA sold engines .15 to .88  prefer 5%~15% to start and consistently needle

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2020, 03:18:15 PM »
After running Stalkers almost exclusively for about 20 years, and using 0% FAI fuel with all synthetic, I am a bit bewildered by the concerns  being voiced here.

Engines designed to run 0% nitro are not, in my experience, harder to start than other engines. I start mine in the following way.

The problem that you are missing is that people are talking about running engines *not* designed to run on FAI fuel - which will have all the problems described.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2020, 07:58:08 PM »
   The problem that you are missing is that people are talking about running engines *not* designed to run on FAI fuel - which will have all the problems described.

Brett

EXACTLY !

Offline Michael Novobrantsev

• Ensign
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2020, 06:43:21 AM »
I used 2 Enya 45 6001 during 3 years with 0% nitro 11/6-12/6
I have not any problem.
 When the weather is cold , engine done reduced rpm when i turned off a glow .
 After this .
I lower head on the lathe , the gap allowed me it . with this tune pattern  engine works good on summer too . On the Como.51 and Fox eagle  60 pattern too.
 When i used  hemihead Enya 45-6002 on my second Enya 45 6001engine, i listen another -specific growl and no more.
 Working  , power  so as first engine .

For a long times Ussr modelists  used single type of glowplugs KS-2 (80% Pt 20%Iridium) for more types engines and they successfull learned tuned the engine mode by changing of compression ratio.
Use of nithromethane accepted as additive is harmful to life motors.
 In the Ussr never been trading of fuel for models engines ( diesel  glow and nitro too). People made own fuel for self .

Be brave - tune compression ratio !
 Use 0% nitro !

Нехай летить !       Let it fly

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here