News:

• April 26, 2024, 12:54:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NVA height in the venturi  (Read 2849 times)

Matthew Brown

• Trade Count: (0)
NVA height in the venturi
« on: November 15, 2017, 03:03:40 PM »
In an effort to avoid drilling oversize holes in my 25FP and other engines, is there any detriment to mounting a NVA higher up in the venturi (machined for this purpose) and bolting the venturi in with the same screws as used for the RC carb? This is aimed primarily at profile planes.

Thanks, Matt

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
Re: NVA height in the venturi
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 03:57:08 PM »
In a profile model moving spraybar further away from crankshaft may actually improve the situation. You'll end up with a better lateral position of fuel tank, in comparison with spraybar.
With engine mounted cylinder up or down, you just have to move fuel tank to correct height.

L

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 04:22:28 PM »
This technique was used on the Fox Combat Mark IV.  It worked for me.

I retrofitted Mark IV venturis to Mark III's with good results.
Paul Smith

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 04:27:34 PM »
co incidently tripped over a drg in ' lina ' which seems to bee finland or somesuch ' stunt news ' with just that ;

a drg for a intake for a 40 with the spraybar above the case .

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 01:36:06 PM »
In a profile model moving spraybar further away from crankshaft may actually improve the situation. You'll end up with a better lateral position of fuel tank, in comparison with spraybar.
With engine mounted cylinder up or down, you just have to move fuel tank to correct height.

L

Experiments done separately by Ted Fancher and Al Rabe both proved that the spraybar location in the engine had no effect on the fuel tank height requirement. Both published their findings while they did the Stunt column in American Aircraft Modeller.

When I changed from a stock-ish ST G.51 spraybar location to a Tom Lay spraybar (drilled through the case), I found no need to do anything but modify the cowl area to stick the NV through. Spraybar was lowered by about 1/4".

Needing a bigger tank in my SV-11 for the PA .51, I added a sump to the bottom of the tank, and again had no need to adjust tank height. The 6 oz tank was enlarged to about 7 oz. I'd classify the tank/spraybar alignment myth as being an "Old Wives Tale" and wish it would go away. The sooner the better!  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Matthew Brown

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 01:59:06 PM »
Experiments done separately by Ted Fancher and Al Rabe both proved that the spraybar location in the engine had no effect on the fuel tank height requirement. Both published their findings while they did the Stunt column in American Aircraft Modeller.

When I changed from a stock-ish ST G.51 spraybar location to a Tom Lay spraybar (drilled through the case), I found no need to do anything but modify the cowl area to stick the NV through. Spraybar was lowered by about 1/4".

Needing a bigger tank in my SV-11 for the PA .51, I added a sump to the bottom of the tank, and again had no need to adjust tank height. The 6 oz tank was enlarged to about 7 oz. I'd classify the tank/spraybar alignment myth as being an "Old Wives Tale" and wish it would go away. The sooner the better!  H^^ Steve

If they aren’t related, what basis is used for setting the tank height? I don’t doubt you experience, but on every profile I’ve ever flown, raising or lowering the tank had a definite affect on balancing the rich/lean upright/inverted condition.
Maybe I’m not understanding your point of view here.

Matt

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 03:10:36 PM »
Was it the April 1st article about CPA theory? :) L

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 08:34:22 PM »
  "  Experiments done separately by Ted Fancher and Al Rabe both proved that the spraybar location in the engine had no effect on the fuel tank height requirement. Both published their findings while they did the Stunt column in American Aircraft Modeller. "

It may not have been any difference in their systems, but it is  NOT proven, as it  IS  a  difference in 1000s  of others  system, including mine, when I move the point where the fuel enters the venturi, it changes  my  tank location, every time, if it is more than 1/20th  inch,  So , for  many  people  it does  make a  difference

Randy

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 09:25:08 PM »
We concur , usually , tank C/L - pick up tube , is on NVA centerline , with engine inverted . Unless its a FSR 40/45
where tank 1/8 high keeps it matched on insides & outs.

BUT WHAT does a FSR 40/45 run like SIDE MOUNTED . pray tell .

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 11:54:09 PM »
Tank height change is visible only in static situation, that is in level- and inverted flight.
But it starts to go fundamentaly wrong when people start using it to adjust engine behaviour in outsides/insides.
As long as engine is mounted like it is in 99% of models, cylinder pointing down or sideways, you will have to live with some kind of a compromise.
Some engines are more sensitive for these dynamic symmetry issues than others and the magnitude of asymmetry varies.
It seems like a simple thing but when you start pondering all the interactions, it becomes quite complex.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 10:56:46 AM »
WELL not quite how it works on my planes, it is  not only just level and inverted flight, but the engine ALSO changes  when I move the  point where the  fuel exits  the venturi, and into the  venturi bore ,  it  will  either  breaks harder in one direction or goes richer in the other direction,  For instance  if I move the bar on my plane down, and touch nothing , the engine will go richer on insides, and leaner on outsides.
I have several engines /planes  that  I can move the venturi up and down very quick and easy, to tune the  engine height vs tank,  and it makes it very easy to see  this

Randy

Matthew Brown

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 11:00:30 AM »
WELL not quite how it works on my planes, it is  not only just level and inverted flight, but the engine ALSO changes  when I move the  point where the  fuel exits  the venturi, and into the  venturi bore ,  it  will  either  breaks harder in one direction or goes richer in the other direction,  For instance  if I move the bar on my plane down, and touch nothing , the engine will go richer on insides, and leaner on outsides.
I have several engines /planes  that  I can move the venturi up and down very quick and easy, to tune the  engine height vs tank,  and it makes it very easy to see  this

Randy

Never thought of it that way but it makes perfect sense!

Matt

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 11:46:11 AM »
Hi Randy,

I'm sorry but I'm unable to write this in a simple way.
I think you may have missed my point. In the end, it's about if you want to sacrifice equal lap times (in level and inverted) for better symmetry in maneuvres. That's how I understand what you just wrote.
As I have written earlier, there are completely different reasons for static and dynamic symmetry.
-Static is easy, it's mostly about fuel head.
-Dynamic is more complex as there are several factors that interact either to same direction or against each other.
 In my opinion the fuel head issues play a minor role there, it's more about how fuel behaves inside engine during maneuvres and about the fact that engine is loaded/unloaded asymmetrically in outside/inside turns, because of gyroscopic precession.
Also part of dynamic picture are model trimming issues, how model yaws/hinges during maneuvres. That ultimately changes fuel head, both in lateral direction and in up/down direction.
But just the interaction of loading and fuel flow ballistics is funny; the direction and magnitude depends on engine position:
 -Horizontally mounted engine has tendency to go rich in outside loops. Except when you change running direction, then the asymmetry reverses. To me it tells that in this position the gyroscopic forces dominate (My engine is Rear intake/Rear exhaust with perfectly symmetrical scavenging and no flow asymmetries)
 -When engine is mounted cylinder down, the behaviour is often opposite, with tendency to go leaner in outside maneuvres. That indicates that dominating factor is fuel flow to cylinder; it's either helped or restricted by G-forces.
Based on those findings I found that the most logical solution is to find an engine position somewhere between those extremes, and cylinder tilted down 40..45 degrees seems to give good symmetry in my case, without sacrificing level/inverted flight symmetry.
 Because of what I have been pondering and doing last years, I find the dynamic symmetry extremely interesting. But it looks like I'm quite alone with my opinions and even with the hard facts I have learned from my experiments. L

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 01:33:49 PM »

I haven't tried moving the NVA on purpose, although I have put engines with different needle valve positions without having to shim to get  the tank position right. Any time I shim the tank, it has the effect you would expect, it's richer upright, and more rich in the inside maneuvers (compared to what it was before).

But there is much more going on with the internal ballistics and the "apparent mixture" than just the fuel delivery pressure. I have had engines were I shimmed the tank to try to correct the issue maneuvering that were completely unworkable the rest of the time. For example, a particular engine would run the same speed upright and inverted (and sound the same), run slightly rich on insides, and hard dead lean on outsides. I ended up shimming the tank to try to correct this, and even with something like 5/16" of shim and it running 5 seconds upright and 6 seconds inverted, it *still* ran hard lean on outsides and relatively rich on insides. Moreover, it exhibited Ted's classic example of the "schneurle effect", where (for a round 8, for example) the first inside would be almost OK, the first outside moderately lean, the second inside dead rich, and the second outside screeching lean. We have had this happen over and over, particularly with muffled schneurle engines. And for whatever reason, it is much more marked effect running around here at sea level than anywhere in the midwest or east. Mounting the engine at a different angle seemed to make a big difference, and it's generally *far worse* on schneurles than on baffle-piston engines

From this, and from Frank Williams' Fox Bypass stuffer, I cam up with the working hypothesis that the issue is that the acceleration along the cylinder axis has a significant effect on the flow inside the engine, and that if the flow velocity is slow, or can easily be disrupted, it's more prone to the problem. Schnuerles used for stunt, particularly on mufflers (like the 40FSR and other "schneurle of the month" engines) and run at low revs seem to be the worst case, because the flow velocity is slow (larger ports and bypasses to Get More Power, while we are trying to run the 14000 rpm engine at 8500), and because the scavenging depends entirely on the momentum of the internal charge being aimed in particular directions, sort of aimed up a the top of the cylinder in the hopes that the fresh charges run up the sides and bypass sides, displacing the exhaust down the middle and out. As opposed to a having a baffle on the piston to force it up one side while the exhaust is displaced out the other. It doesn't make baffle-piston engines immune to the issue, just much less prone to it.

I can't directly prove the hypothesis, but anything I have done to increase the momentum of the flow seems to make the problem better, the Fox bypass stuffing being another obvious example, but also, blocking the boost port (which greatly increases the velocity of the other two), or making the port sizes smaller and more appropriate for the amount of flow, seems to help. Same thing with the spigot venturi and venturi diffusers, which can also have a marked effect over side-inlet dribble holes. regardless on their effect on flow or pressure recovery. Or, the most obvious solution - don't try to run your 14000 rpm engine at 8500 rpm - us a 4" pitch prop.

The position of the incoming charge WRT the glow plug also seems to matter, but I am not at all convinced that this is the driving problem.

Note that on larger engines, there also seems to be something interesting about the fuel delivery, with interesting and beneficial effects from reducing the flow restrictions, either with thinner oil or bigger tubing and spraybars.

The "schneurle effect" is about the only thing I really care about with evaluating stunt engines any more - they all have enough power and they all last long enough. It's just a matter of how they respond in the maneuvers VS level flight.

Brett
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 08:45:38 PM by RandySmith »

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 08:45:05 PM »
   I haven't tried moving the NVA on purpose, although I have put engines with different needle valve positions without having to shim to get  the tank position right. Any time I shim the tank, it has the effect you would expect, it's richer upright, and more rich in the inside maneuvers (compared to what it was before).

But there is much more going on with the internal ballistics and the "apparent mixture" than just the fuel delivery pressure. I have had engines were I shimmed the tank to try to correct the issue maneuvering that were completely unworkable the rest of the time. For example, a particular engine would run the same speed upright and inverted (and sound the same), run slightly rich on insides, and hard dead lean on outsides. I ended up shimming the tank to try to correct this, and even with something like 5/16" of shim and it running 5 seconds upright and 6 seconds inverted, it *still* ran hard lean on outsides and relatively rich on insides. Moreover, it exhibited Ted's classic example of the "schneurle effect", where (for a round 8, for example) the first inside would be almost OK, the first outside moderately lean, the second inside dead rich, and the second outside screeching lean. We have had this happen over and over, particularly with muffled schneurle engines. And for whatever reason, it is much more marked effect running around here at sea level than anywhere in the midwest or east. Mounting the engine at a different angle seemed to make a big difference, and it's generally *far worse* on schneurles than on baffle-piston engines

From this, and from Frank Williams' Fox Bypass stuffer, I cam up with the working hypothesis that the issue is that the acceleration along the cylinder axis has a significant effect on the flow inside the engine, and that if the flow velocity is slow, or can easily be disrupted, it's more prone to the problem. Schnuerles used for stunt, particularly on mufflers (like the 40FSR and other "schneurle of the month" engines) and run at low revs seem to be the worst case, because the flow velocity is slow (larger ports and bypasses to Get More Power, while we are trying to run the 14000 rpm engine at 8500), and because the scavenging depends entirely on the momentum of the internal charge being aimed in particular directions, sort of aimed up a the top of the cylinder in the hopes that the fresh charges run up the sides and bypass sides, displacing the exhaust down the middle and out. As opposed to a having a baffle on the piston to force it up one side while the exhaust is displaced out the other. It doesn't make baffle-piston engines immune to the issue, just much less prone to it.

I can't directly prove the hypothesis, but anything I have done to increase the momentum of the flow seems to make the problem better, the Fox bypass stuffing being another obvious example, but also, blocking the boost port (which greatly increases the velocity of the other two), or making the port sizes smaller and more appropriate for the amount of flow, seems to help. Same thing with the spigot venturi and venturi diffusers, which can also have a marked effect over side-inlet dribble holes. regardless on their effect on flow or pressure recovery. Or, the most obvious solution - don't try to run your 14000 rpm engine at 8500 rpm - us a 4" pitch prop.

The position of the incoming charge WRT the glow plug also seems to matter, but I am not at all convinced that this is the driving problem.

Note that on larger engines, there also seems to be something interesting about the fuel delivery, with interesting and beneficial effects from reducing the flow restrictions, either with thinner oil or bigger tubing and spraybars.

The "schneurle effect" is about the only thing I really care about with evaluating stunt engines any more - they all have enough power and they all last long enough. It's just a matter of how they respond in the maneuvers VS level flight.

Brett

Hi Brett
It didn't  have to do with what you just wrote, I was addressing where the NVA is  up higher or down lower, not  having  a schnurle effect, The point I made  was  it  DOES  make a difference, NOT the  effect your talking about, it makes a difference in level  flight both ways, as well as in maneuvers,  I have several engines  that I can move the  NVA up and down instantly, so it is very easy to test and see.  People saying it makes no difference are just flat wrong, at least for  most of us, Now there  are some people who  could not or would not notice any difference??  But that does not mean there is,   Point is   moving the bar up and down does the  same things as moving the tank up and down, and you can do this by  moving  either, with same results.
And  Also  moving the venturi ( a true venturi) 
up and down with keeping the  NVA and/or  the tank in the exact same place will  result in the  same effect, it is just like moving the fuel tank .

Regards
Randy

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 06:48:30 AM »
  I have seen spraybay mounted 3/8" and 3/4" above the motor mounts on ST.46 motors and they both ran OK.   What I have found is that the ST/46 does not work well with a tall venture above the spraybar. Some motors work well that way but not the ST/40-46.
EddyR
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 05:32:04 AM by EddyR »
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 04:20:26 PM »
If they aren’t related, what basis is used for setting the tank height? I don’t doubt you experience, but on every profile I’ve ever flown, raising or lowering the tank had a definite affect on balancing the rich/lean upright/inverted condition.
Maybe I’m not understanding your point of view here.

Matt...Nope, nobody is saying the tank height doesn't matter. One thing, tho, is that just upright/inverted rpm is not adequate. You need to adjust for equal rpm through inside & outside loops.

Both Ted and Al did their experiments by making their spraybar height adjustable, and concluded that the spraybar location in the venturi (or restrictor) isn't the driving force. Ted suggested that each engine design had a different tank height requirement and coined the term "Pumping Center". 

I don't recall that either's experimental result reports were more than text (with no drawings, IIRC), and I don't recall any mention of the engine's cylinder orientation, prop pitch, launch rpm, etc. Both my experiences were with conventional inverted engine installations, and I suspect that this engine orientation may be easier to sort with mainstream engines than on a typical sidewinder profile.

What Lauri is doing is definitely not "mainstream", at least not in North America. I'm interested in Randy's experiences, and wondering if the difference is because he designs and makes real venturii and not the straight bore/bell mouth that most of us use?  ???   Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 04:00:58 PM »
[quote author=Steve Helmick
What Lauri is doing is definitely not "mainstream", at least not in North America. I'm interested in Randy's experiences, and wondering if the difference is because he designs and makes real venturii and not the straight bore/bell mouth that most of us use?  ???   Steve
[/quote]

Yes, often I feel it's not *mainstream* to use common sense and some very basic understanding of physics and mechanics to support my ponderings and findings.
And of course, when I can't see interaction between 2 completely different phenomens. L

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 07:00:40 PM »

Yes, often I feel it's not *mainstream* to use common sense and some very basic understanding of physics and mechanics to support my ponderings and findings.
And of course, when I can't see interaction between 2 completely different phenomens. L

I was, of course, referring to home made engines with Dykes rings, integral fin/cyl/many ports, rear intake drum valve, titanium crankshafts, etc. It's always interesting to see your projects, both F1A and F2B. Still wondering what you do with your spare time!  y1 Steve 

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 10:35:52 PM »

My venturis  that are adjustable  are made with a venturi outer part, and the inner part that has  2,  o rings holding it in, and sealing the feed hole above and below  ,you can  move the inside up and down about 1/4 inch, it changes where the fuel hole is, in relationship to the engine, it WILL make the run change richer or leaner, depending on direction moved, the Spraybar location  does not move and has  NO  influence, What matters is  where the fuel enter to open atmosphere .
Another advantage is you can instantly change  the venturi  size  to a larger or smaller one, just pop it out and slide in a new one

On the Restrictors I make that the  Needle assembly moves up and down, where the venturi  and  NVA  is moving up or down  makes a difference TOO
by the way   Moving the tank makes a difference in the  RUN
Moving just the  pickup  makes a difference
Moving just the  uniflow  makes a difference
and  moving  just the back of the  tank  does  Too .

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here