News:

• May 09, 2024, 02:22:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: After crash engine clean up  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Steve Thornton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
After crash engine clean up
« on: February 23, 2013, 12:53:54 PM »
Gentlemen,
While my learning curve seems to be improving, my crash rate is rising! I now have three engines with bent NVA's and imbedded grass in the venturi.  No cracks, crevices, or serious injuries, but I don't want to turn the engines until I'm sure they have no foreign matter in the cylinder.  One recommends one thing and another has a different way and I would appreciate more input.  Should they be disassembled, soaked, or what? 
Thanks for all your help,
Steve Thornton
"Most of us won't make it out of this world alive."
Steve Thornton

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: After crash engine clean up
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 01:53:16 PM »
Thank heaven you're flying over grass!

Your goal is to get all the grit out of the engine with the least amount of work.

You can always completely disassemble, then clean thoroughly -- but that's often overkill.

Your goal is to clean the engine in a step by step process, always trying to keep any grit from getting into the engine.

It's best to do all of this before the mud dries -- if there's running water at the field and you'll have a chance to finish up as soon as you get home, that's a good time to start.  Without turning the prop, rinse the outside of the engine to keep that mud from getting into things later.

When you're someplace quiet, and after the outside of the engine is clean, and without moving the prop, remove the venturi.  Depending on the consistency of the mud involved, I usually like to remove the venturi before I dig the mud out of it -- that gets the mud as far away from the crankcase as possible, and it's the inside of the crankcase (and, hence, the engine's working parts) that we want to keep clean.

So, remove the venturi without moving the prop.  Now look at the back of the venturi and at the crank.  You're looking for two things: one, did any mud get all the way through the venturi (it often gets stopped by the spray bar if you have one), and two, was the crank valve open?  If there's no trace of mud past the spray bar and if the crank valve was closed, then I breath a big sigh of relief.  At this point, I'll usually wash the venturi thoroughly, reassemble, treat the engine to some after-run oil, and figure I'm good.

If there's mud past the spraybar, and especially if the crank valve is open, then you probably want to strip the engine down, clean each bit as thoroughly as you can, and reassemble.  Use your judgment -- if the valve is open but there's no sign of mud, I'd probably reassemble and go fly.

Going forward, get a pair of nylon stockings from the store (be sure to ask so you get a pair in your size).  Then rubber-band a scrap of nylon over your venturi, and that'll keep the mud out of the engine on future unscheduled landings.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Michael Alurac

• Lieutenant
  • AMA 63056 kotrc.org2013-2014 & 2020 President
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 10:40:36 PM »
 After going through my re-learning curve over the last year and a half I watched what the combat guys use. Here's a convenient solution to this problem. Simply use a pump spray bottle with Isopropyl alcohol to spray the foreign matter out of the venturi and exhaust port. I use 99.9% that I get from my print shop and in a pinch have used the 91% from the local pharmacy. You'll find it quick and easy with great results that will get you back up and flyin' in no time. It helps to make sure that the venturi and exhaust port is aimed towards the ground as to let the alcohol drain back out flushing any unwanted debris out with it.

Good luck and happy landings!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 10:19:01 PM by Michael Alurac »

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 11:23:58 PM »
The alcohol/spray bottle work good, and in a pinch I've used fuel to clean it.  Little expensive, but it works! H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 07:31:48 PM »
If I could add something here .......... ingress of foreign matter will always be from the intake towards the exhaust with a running engine (kinda obvious I know.)

So it stands to reason that flushing that matter out should follow the reverse route.

Follow all the advice shown previously but reverse flow the flush by removing the back plate and sluicing towards the venturi.

If I bury an engine in soil from a crash there is no way that I can guarantee that grit hasn't been sucked into the crankcase even if the needle valve area 'appears' clean.

Go that extra step, remove the back plate and flush the grit out the way it came in.

Cheers.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Steve Thornton

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 01:46:57 PM »
Thank you gentlemen.  I will remove the back-plate and flush thoroughly with alcohol.
Steve
"Most of us won't make it out of this world alive."
Steve Thornton

Offline John Craig

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 08:02:46 AM »
My answer to the problem, after many crashes into Fla sand.  A double layer of panty hose over the venturi held on with thin wire, or an O-ring, or small wire tie.  I always carry a Quart of charcoal lighter fluid to wash the dirt off the engine.  I am flying rough & tumble beginner planes.  If the panty hose was not displaced in the crash & the plane has no real damage, I wash the engine off well, replace the prop & fly again.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here