News:

• March 29, 2024, 09:57:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Needle Valve for Fox 40 Quickee 500  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Jim Carter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Needle Valve for Fox 40 Quickee 500
« on: March 27, 2019, 11:29:39 AM »
 :)  Hi Y'all!  Folks is there anyone out there who can help me in my search for a needle valve for the Fox 40 Quickee 500??  I've had one of these engines for a number of years and I'd love to fly it again but I need a needle valve.  To help identify what I'm looking for, it looks very much like the standard Fox 35 needle valve which has a diameter of .09135 across the threads but the one I'm looking for is .1325" diameter across the threads.  I've attached a few pics in hopes that someone can help me get a couple of them.  Thanks in advance!

Jim Carter
Titusville, FL

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Needle Valve for Fox 40 Quickee 500
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 11:05:13 AM »
I've got two C/L carbs and one R/C carb that may fit, though they are not exactly the same model.  The dimension to check is the c-to-c on the carb mounting flange fasteners.

This is not exactly a Fox .35 motor.  Got to ask: What's this going into?

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 12:53:17 PM »
I believe the Quickie used the latest version of the large MKX carb. Seen on the late 60-74. The MKX for their 45-50 is same but has a smaller bore...needles are the same for both versions.
Bill P.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 09:29:50 PM »
  You might be surprised at what other needle from another Fox engine just might fit the thing. Espevially if Duke was still around during development. Why incur the cost of another needle for inventory when you already have "X" number of these other needles in inventory! Make one of those work!
   Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 10:54:03 AM »
  You might be surprised at what other needle from another Fox engine just might fit the thing. Espevially if Duke was still around during development. Why incur the cost of another needle for inventory when you already have "X" number of these other needles in inventory! Make one of those work!
   Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
Hi Dan!  You're right in one respect but the large one that fits the Quickee 40 is the one I don't have!  I have a needle for a .25, a couple for the .35 and even a couple of the remote needle valve setups that they developed before they closed .... but this one .... well, I'm still hoping  :)

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 10:58:24 AM »
I've got two C/L carbs and one R/C carb that may fit, though they are not exactly the same model.  The dimension to check is the c-to-c on the carb mounting flange fasteners.

This is not exactly a Fox .35 motor.  Got to ask: What's this going into?
Hi Peter!  This is for my Fox Quickee 40 r/c engine.  The .35 needle literally just slides in and out of the threads, it's so much smaller in diameter.  The carb for the Quickee 40 appears to be somewhat larger that the standard 40 r/c engine.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 11:00:52 AM »
Have you checked with MECOA.

Does that thread match up with anything standard like 4-40?

Motorman 8)
Howdy!  Waiting on their response.  It's not listed on their site as yet but they may have one stashed in storage somewhere.  I'm waiting!!

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 03:09:25 PM »
Hi Jim,

I have an unknown needle that I got from Peabody, in a big bag of unidentified needles, spray bars, and complete NVA's.

It looked like a typical Fox needle, with two knurled nobs, but a much larger diameter body. My calipers measure thread outer diameter about like you describe.

If interested send me your mail address, and I'll post it in a small bubble envelope, free to you. Don't need it back, as I've no Fox engines larger than a 35.

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 04:31:34 PM »
Hi Jim,

I have an unknown needle that I got from Peabody, in a big bag of unidentified needles, spray bars, and complete NVA's.

It looked like a typical Fox needle, with two knurled nobs, but a much larger diameter body. My calipers measure thread outer diameter about like you describe.

If interested send me your mail address, and I'll post it in a small bubble envelope, free to you. Don't need it back, as I've no Fox engines larger than a 35.

Bill
Howdy Bill!  Man, you've got a deal!!  And don't worry, I'll reimburse you for the postage and pay you a fair price for the needle.  Thanks so much!!

James Carter
76 Fairglen Drive
Titusville, FL 32796

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 07:44:59 PM »
Jim,

No problem on the postage, and it only cost me a few pennies for the needle, so forget about paying for it.

Packaged and ready to go out with Saturday mail.

Sent it first class, so hopefully it will arrive late next week.

Just hope it's the correct needle for your Fox, but just keep it anyway if not.

Later pal,

Bill

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 04:45:07 PM »
Jim,

No problem on the postage, and it only cost me a few pennies for the needle, so forget about paying for it.

Packaged and ready to go out with Saturday mail.

Sent it first class, so hopefully it will arrive late next week.

Just hope it's the correct needle for your Fox, but just keep it anyway if not.

Later pal,

Bill
Oh man!  How can I thank you?  Just know that I really appreciate your kindness!

Jim

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 01:45:17 PM »
Hi Jim,

Package is on the way. Postal clerk said 3-4 days, so it should get there late this week. Let me know if it's the correct needle.

Later pal,

Bill

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 03:32:24 PM »
Hi Jim,

Package is on the way. Postal clerk said 3-4 days, so it should get there late this week. Let me know if it's the correct needle.

Later pal,

Bill

Ya' got a deal!!

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 03:51:42 PM »
Hi Jim,

Later pal,

Bill
Howdy Bill!  The package arrived today and .... IT FITS #^ #^!! ;D ;D  Thank You  ;D!!  Thank You  ;D!!  Thank You  ;D!!  You da' man  ;D!!

Jim Carter

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 04:33:17 PM »
Hi Jim,

Glad to hear the needle was the correct one for your Fox engine.

Some of the others I have are easily recognized major brands, but a bunch are types that I can't identify.

Later pal,

Bill

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here