News:

• April 23, 2024, 01:41:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: needle valve assembly for OS la 25 or FP 20  (Read 1752 times)

Online Fred Quedenfeld jr

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
needle valve assembly for OS la 25 or FP 20
« on: August 25, 2019, 07:19:54 AM »
Since you can no longer get the OS needle assembly  and the tigre or PA are too big
What should you use?  where do you purchase?
Does the OS nipple in the venturi with a remote needle work or just another headache
DO NOT ANSWER WHAT YOU  "THINK"
I want to see proof that what you are typing "WORKS"
Fred Quedenfeld

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: needle valve assembly for OS la 25 or FP 20
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 07:59:32 AM »
                Contact Bob Brooks from Ebay aka Shtterman        Part# 54020 direct Enya replacement for OS .20-.46

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 09:29:19 AM »
Some will say not to, but you can drill the case and use a PA NVA from Randy Smith or a DoubleStar NVA from Tom Dixon. Many people do and they work just fine.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 09:38:56 AM »
like mike says.after drilling the case out u can turn down the center of the sprybar to the original size

OH and yes I have done it. works fine H^^
rad racer

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 12:26:15 PM »
   If you are forced to use a larger needle valve assembly, just increase the venturi a few thousandth to compensate. You just need to match the choke area and the engine will not care. It had no idea what kind of NVA that is being used. This is not what I THINK, it is what has been done and discussed on the forums countless times, and is what I consider basic engine 101.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 07:05:18 PM »
   If you are forced to use a larger needle valve assembly, just increase the venturi a few thousandth to compensate. You just need to match the choke area and the engine will not care. It had no idea what kind of NVA that is being used. This is not what I THINK, it is what has been done and discussed on the forums countless times, and is what I consider basic engine 101.

It needs a lot more than a few thousands, it needs .273 or or so (.016, 16 thousands) with an ST spraybar (not recommended) and a lot more with a PA and more still with the RO-Jett. I would measure the RO-Jett spraybar and figure out what the necessary diameter venturi bore should be, except that, apparently, someone has "liberated" my box of replacement RO-Jett spraybar and venturi parts.

If you just enlarge it "a few thousandths", you will have to run a prop with more pitch (since it won't rev up enough for the correct prop, which is an APC 9-4) and thus start giving up the advantage it has over old crock engines like the Fox 35, and your Skyray/Flight Streak will start flying like a "trainer" again.

However, there is no need to keep destroying crankcases to fit erzatz parts, a correct part is available here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OS-FP-LA-20-46-NEEDLE-VALVE-ASSY-DIRECT-REPLACEMENT-NIP/293139719059?hash=item44407d2393:g:0-8AAOSwJRFcolWt

Which then permits you to run the stock venturi (.257") like you should.

The rear-needle setup from the OS20FP-S RN will work just fine, as well as the front needle, if you have those parts. It also works fine on the 25LA, if you have broken the backplate (but not cracked the sealing face), or if you have replaced the backplate with an aluminum aftermarket part.  (harmless but unnecessary).

There is no significant question about how to run it - it's been documented endlessly since public access to the internet has been available.

I would be *extremely surprised* if anyone has run these engines in more different configurations than I have, *stock straight out of the box* is the best way.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 12:12:31 PM »
100s of people have  used the  PA  NVAs in the  OS 20 25 35 40 46,
The PS Bar is the  same size as the  Super Tiger, and the same size as the  older  OS bars. .157
The FP and LA series was when OS decided  to just make only the 20 size bar and use it in all of their engines
A good fit since the  OS is much smaller diameter, it to use the  .255 with the OS bar, and  .280 with the  PA or ST  NVAs
DO NOT try to turn the  st or  PA  bar down on a lathe, it is  much easier to resize the venturi, and you will not risk the  bar breaking if you get it a little too tight.
This is no bid deal  and its  easy to do, People much prefer the PA assemblies  to the  OS or ST
or use the  stock setup, but try not to  mix setups that do not  match

and  drilling the case hole and venturi side holes to .157  does  NOT  ruin the case, it just makes them the same size  as the  OLDER  OS engines  Like the  30 35 S   40 45 FSR   Max 40 H etc

Randy

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 07:20:38 AM »
Needle adjustment is much finer using a Super Tiger type needle valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 10:07:36 PM »
Needle adjustment is much finer using a Super Tiger type needle valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And it is even finer  using a  PA assembly

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here