News:

• May 09, 2024, 05:10:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LA 25 Case Replacement  (Read 453 times)

Offline Harold Brewer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
LA 25 Case Replacement
« on: December 27, 2019, 11:27:35 AM »
I crashed my Flitestreak this summer and trashed the engine; broke off the front two motor mounts.  I started looking for a replacement case and found one on Ebay.  A very easy replacement until I decided to clean off the built up gunk on the head.  I put the head into the crock pot for a few hours for cleaning.  When I pulled it out, I discovered that the paint had been removed; who knew?  The engine still looks pretty good with the missing paint on the head.  Just a caution to those might want to clean up their blue LA's using the crock pot method - Don't!!

Best regards,

Harold Brewer

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: LA 25 Case Replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 01:11:01 PM »
Or crock-pot the case, so everything matches.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 05:09:21 PM »
  Those front mounts are not too bad that they could not be used safely, just need some larger, heavier washers. If you know a competent guy with a TIG welder those are easily fixed, so don't throw the case away.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 09:10:23 PM »
Easy fix for those pieces missing from the engine lugs.  Make aluminum pads like if you were going to put them under the engine, only they go on top of the lugs to keep the bolts in place. 1/16 aluminum should do the trick.  Several years ago I had a LA 40 that would get hot on my profile plane and blamed the blue coloring.  I crock potted the engine to get rid of the blue and it helped greatly in setting the needle on a profile.   D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Harold Brewer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 11:29:09 AM »
Doc -

I tried your method to hold the engine in place but found that the setup kept getting loose, no matter how tight I tightened the screws.  Upon closer inspection, I found that the unmachined top of the mounting lugs had casting draft; which made the top and bottom of the lugs out of parallel.  One lug was really bad and had a lot of draft; to the point where I could not keep the mount screws tight.  Only solution was to have someone take a mill pass on the top of the lugs to cure the parallelism issue; much cheaper to get a new case.

Best regards,

Harold Brewer

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here