News:

• April 16, 2024, 02:41:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mystery Muffler  (Read 755 times)

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Mystery Muffler
« on: February 06, 2022, 06:07:31 PM »
Well, at least it is for me. Can anyone help identify this swap meet acquisition? What a strange design, what with the hollow middle for air flow and what-not. It's mounted on a Veco 19 R/C mill.

Thanks.

Dave Mo...
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Mystery Muffler
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 06:56:24 PM »
Hi Dave,

I believe it's a MACS Venturi Thru-Flow Aluminum Muffler, which of course is no longer manufactured.

Dennis

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 10:01:46 PM »
Thanks, Dennis. Very nicely produced with impeccable welding. Any idea what their performance goals were in producing this?

Dave…
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 11:34:50 PM »
Any idea what their performance goals were in producing this?

Dave…
I have no idea. I happen to have one that I run on an old ST v60 (no muffler lugs). It's fairly lightweight for its size and works fine.

Dennis

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 10:03:43 AM »
Yep!  That's it!!  Here's a pic of one for sale for comparison purposes.  https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3953019-MACS-Flow-Thru-Muffler-for-K-B-Engine-40-NIB

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 11:51:05 AM »
Muffler making is somewhat of a cottage industry.  Some of the top makers included Tatone, Macs and Slimline.  Others got into it as well, including Big Art mufflers in the stunt world.  While the welding and finish on the Macs is surely impressive, the tolerances required for muffler making are not as exacting as, say, P/L fit.  The rights and tooling for Slimline are mow owned by Desert Engines, but they only bought the business to make their own mufflers, not the complete line.

I'd like to buy a Slimline tongue muffler for a Veco .19 our club uses on a trainer, but they are quite rare.  So, probably I will either need to get access to a mill or get a machinist order together.

But, if you want a copy of the Macs for the K&B .40 or a complete K&B .40 R/C, that I have for sale, in quantity. 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here