News:

• April 30, 2024, 03:13:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Fox .35 burp.  (Read 9385 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
My Fox .35 burp.
« on: July 27, 2013, 08:04:28 AM »
    Hi All:

While flying my Fox .35 Combat plane for the second day, I noticed that the engine would almost stop running at the top of several maneuvers. I accepted this as the cursed "Fox Burp."

I was getting a great 4-2-4 cycle break but the burp was annoying!  Just for laughs, I turned the needle valve in about 4 clicks and the thing ran like an electric motor.

Now I ain't very smart, but has anybody else had the same luck with avoiding the Fox Burp by doing this? I did continue to get a great4-2-4 cycle break. Oh yes, I was using an O.S. n.v.a.

Any thoughts about this?

Frank

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: My Fox .35 burp.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 08:12:02 AM »
Use an APC 10.5 X 4.5 prop with a line length of 58/59 or 60 foot length and a release rpm of around 9800/9900.

Allen Brickhaus

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 08:32:34 AM »
Had a Fox mounted upright in an OTS airplane.  I would sometimes notice a slight burp on transition from inside loop to outside loop on the horizontal 8's.  Turned out this was a sign the engine was a hair richer than usual.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 10:48:37 AM »

I was getting a great 4-2-4 cycle break but the burp was annoying!  Just for laughs, I turned the needle valve in about 4 clicks and the thing ran like an electric motor.

Now I ain't very smart, but has anybody else had the same luck with avoiding the Fox Burp by doing this? I did continue to get a great4-2-4 cycle break. Oh yes, I was using an O.S. n.v.a.

Any thoughts about this?

Running that lean will probably end up damaging something, but parts are cheap.

Burps are a long-solved problem, close to 20 years now. I recommend just fixing the burp directly per Frank Williams article. This fixes the burp definitively, then you can run it however you want.

Brett

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 11:00:07 AM »
Frank, I have always ran my engines in what some call a 'wet 2' configuration and have never experienced the so called 'Fox burp'

My prop of choice for most all of the .35 sized engines is an 11 X 4 which seems to work well for me and the way I run my engines.

But I am not a chaser of trophies and fly for fun and entertainment.
Your mileage may vary.                   :-)

Phil

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 01:49:11 PM »
     Hello Brett:

How can my Fox be running too lean if it breaks back into a 2 cycle from a 4 cycle while doing a maneuver? In level flight, it is in a strong 4 cycle and breaks into 2 cycle when going into a maneuver.  Is this not what we all strive for with a Fox?

Running a Fox lean is not a problem! Try to catch some Foxberg Racing and see Fox .35 engines that are run lean.  They hot start very well and seem to last forever.

Stay well,

Frank

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 02:32:03 PM »
Jesus Brett, why do you even bother???   HB~> HB~> HB~>

Larry, Butttafucco Stunt Team

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 02:34:51 PM »
   How can my Fox be running too lean if it breaks back into a 2 cycle from a 4 cycle while doing a maneuver? In level flight, it is in a strong 4 cycle and breaks into 2 cycle when going into a maneuver.  Is this not what we all strive for with a Fox?

Running a Fox lean is not a problem! Try to catch some Foxberg Racing and see Fox .35 engines that are run lean.  They hot start very well and seem to last forever.

OK, then run it that way. Geez! You were complaining about a burp. It's a simple fix that takes about 5 minutes and cures the issue completely. I think that is a better solution than running it leaner.

And, for the record, the stuffer backplate was designed (by the inestimable Marvin Denny)  for people who were running Fox 35s in racing events and wearing out the conrods. But I am sure that won't happen to you...  

BTW how many complete AMA stunt patterns have you got on Fox 35s? Same question for any Fox defender. Because I probably have you beat (unless you are Bob Gieseke).

Brett

p.s. OK, I was irritated by this argument. But, in fact, something useful can be gleaned by understanding WHY running it at full crank helps the burp. The fundametal problem  causing the burp is that the gas flow velocity in the bypass is too low at regular 4-2 break stunt speeds. When you have it on a profile with the cylinder outboard and you do sharp outside corners, it "burps". What is apparently happening is the acceleration of maneuvering slings the charge up against the cool outer wall of the bypass and either condenses it, or the flow attaches, and the flow of charge is interrupted. When you do inside maneuvers, it is slung up against the nice hot iron liner and nothing bad happens. Filling up most of the bypass greatly increases the flow velocity, making it less sensitive to the acceleration of maneuvering. You might expect that it would also reduce the power, but at stunt speeds the ability of the bypass to pass the necessary flow is not the limiting factor, and in almost every case, the observation has been that the power is either unaffected, or very slightly increased.

Run it faster, the flow rate is higher, so the flow velocity in the bypass is higher, creating the same situation as the bypass stuffer.

The issue is that the rest of the engine, which is dead-nuts reliable and very durable chugging around at stunt speeds, is stressed at the higher power levels. One failure mode is a slight misalignment leading to the connecting rod being pushed backwards, off the crankpin a little until it hits the backplate. This limits the travel somewhat but the tilt+load wears out the connecting rod. Not much of a problem at stunt speeds, big problem at just a little bit higher speeds. The stuffer backplate was intended to cut the clearance between the crankpin and backplate so that when the rod gets pushed off the back, the angle is smaller. It's anodized to provide a good wear surface for the conrod when it rubs up against the backplate.

The next likely part to go away is the crankshaft itself. At stunt speeds with 5% nitro and light props it's mostly OK, add nitro even at the same speed and at about 15%, the crank will start breaking at an accelerated rate. Running it faster than normal with full-size props also stresses the crank.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 02:54:00 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 02:36:42 PM »
Jesus Brett, why do you even bother???   HB~> HB~> HB~>

Larry, Butttafucco Stunt Team

Because, deep down, at a fundamental level, I am a moron.

Brett

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 03:20:36 PM »
       Hello Brett:

You suggested that a stuffer backplate would be a good addition for a Fox .35 that is to be run hard as in racing.  I do not know where the stuffer backplate would be legal in a Fox event.  I think that they have to be stock!

Broken cranshafts in a Fox racing event? I have only seen one and it was mine in a Fox that was "Stock" but would go much faster than any Fox that I had seen then or since.  I have no idea as to what was done to it as the guy who did the work would not tell me.  It puked the crank after winning the feature race.  The engine looked stock inside and out but it was very fast!

I was not complaining about a burp  but mentioned the fact that mine went away when I I slightly leaned out the engine.  I think that it is easier to do that than to mess with the case! KISS

In any case, try to get to see some Foxberg racing and perhaps build a plane and compete.  It is indeed a lot of fun! You may gain more respect for the Fox .35.

Oh Yes, how long does a Fox .35 last if it is just flown for stunt!

Be well,

Frank                             

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 04:15:29 PM »
Jesus, Larry what makes you think that other folks may not have different experiences and knowledge than Brett does?

Phil Bare, playing with toy airplanes and engines for 60 years.

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 01:40:49 AM »
Jesus, Larry what makes you think that other folks may not have different experiences and knowledge than Brett does?

I don't even know how to respond to that.

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 04:33:22 AM »
Larry, I am not surprised at all.

Phil Bare, Playing with toy airplanes and engines for 60 years.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 06:49:36 AM »
I bought my Fox stunt 35s, four of them, on sale at $12.95 in 1976.  I have flown several thousand stunt patterns with them.  I lapped the pistons and cylinders. Early on I went to ST NVAs, and started running 11 x 5 props, of which the Taipan seems the best. Last several hundred flights have been on Sig Champion 10% nitro, 20% oil, half castor, half synthetic.  For those flights I ran a stuffer backplate, but the hemihead was too powerful, so I replaced it with a stock head. I have usually run a crankshaft extention and a heavy hub. I never fixed the burp, because I had learned to live with it. HB~>

I burned up one engine trying to get it to run right on crankcase pressure.  It now has a new piston and liner, which I have lapped and broken in on the bench. I have been moving out of CL, and it is the only one of the original four I have left.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 07:44:32 AM »
Frank,
You didn't indicate what prop you are using or if you have a muffler, seems that if you drop the pitch and maybe the diameter to say 9.5"x5 it could get the flight speed in the range of 53 mph where most current 35 - 40 ships run. This corresponds to a lap time on 60' C to C, of 4.9 sec. I have found that in an upright installation there is much less tendency for the Burb. Having said that the reduced bypass is one of those things that is simple to do and can't hurt. Give it a try and see if it makes any difference in your ship and let us know what happen.

Best,      DennisT
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 04:27:56 PM by Dennis Toth »

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2013, 01:20:52 PM »
One of the things that is different today is the use of mufflers on the Fox 35. When I tested it there was a drop of about 400 ish rpms. If you are trying to turn a 10x6 on it you will need to run it harder and the 4-2-4 starts to go more to a 4-2-2-2-4 where it breaks going into the maneuvers and stays until you hit level flight again. If you drop the prop to 9 to 9.5 x6 it picks that back up and the traditional break comes back. This works with a light smallish size ship (say <36 oz and 48" span).

I just did the bypass reduction on the motor I am running in the El Diablo, I couldn't use the stick in the bypass because I had filled down the lip at the bottom of the bypass that would hold the stick in so I roughed it up, degreased and used JB Weld to fill up about half the depth, I assume this will work.

Best,       DennisT

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2013, 05:47:01 PM »
Larry, I am not surprised at all.

Phil Bare, Playing with toy airplanes and engines for 60 years.

No offence Phil, but if I had the choice to listen to someone with 60 years experience and no NATS wins or someone who is a consistant Top Five flyer with a National Championship title to his name. I'm going with the champ every time.

Sorry buddy. Congratulations on the sixty years experience though.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2013, 06:21:30 PM »
I listen to experts thoughtfully, but if their opinions conflict with my experience, I tend to put more weight on my experience.

My Fox 35s have run to suit me with tongue mufflers providing tank pressure. However, the last Fox 35 I flew has an innovative muffler of my design.  It is the lightest and least effective muffler known.  It is a piece of tin, bolted into the tapped holes above and below the exhaust stack. It covers 1/4 of the exhaust stack outlet.  An ear is bent into the stack such that the cast in brace in the center of the stack and the ear form a chamber. This chamber has a pressure tap for tank pressure.

I showed it to Bob Gieskie at a Sequin, TX, contest some years ago.  He remarked that my Fox 35 ran very well with my set up.  No argument with that expert opinion.

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2013, 06:47:57 PM »
Larry, you can listen to who ever you wish to, makes no difference one way or the other.

I just relate my own experiences and if some one is curious enough to give it some thought and maybe even experiment on their own, perhaps some thing can be learned.

It is my opinion that repeating the pattern a zillion times only means that you have repeated the pattern a zillion times and got it down about as good as every one else that has done the same thing.

Brett's accomplishments are notable, but no more so than many others that have chosen to repeat the pattern a zillion times.

As I said, others experience and knowledge are no less pertinent and possibly as valuable as any one else's

Exchanging ideas and thoughts should be a big part of the CL community and no one has a lock on knowledge and experience, whether it be a PAMPA winner or a Sunday sport flyer..

In my working career as an ME, I learned that every one from the janitor, draftsman, graphic artist, and so on can see things and have ideas that the most senior engineer would never think about simply because his mind is set and closed to any thinking other than his own.

Remarks such as the one that you made does nothing to improve the hobby or attracts new participants.

The OP related his experience, nothing more, nothing less.

Offline Joseph Lijoi

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 03:28:31 PM »
I showed it to Bob Gieskie at a Sequin, TX, contest some years ago.  He remarked that my Fox 35 ran very well with my set up.  No argument with that expert opinion.

[/quote]

Like 30 years ago. 

Offline Joseph Lijoi

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 04:17:18 PM »
Larry, you can listen to who ever you wish to, makes no difference one way or the other.

I just relate my own experiences and if some one is curious enough to give it some thought and maybe even experiment on their own, perhaps some thing can be learned.

It is my opinion that repeating the pattern a zillion times only means that you have repeated the pattern a zillion times and got it down about as good as every one else that has done the same thing.

Brett's accomplishments are notable, but no more so than many others that have chosen to repeat the pattern a zillion times.

As I said, others experience and knowledge are no less pertinent and possibly as valuable as any one else's

Exchanging ideas and thoughts should be a big part of the CL community and no one has a lock on knowledge and experience, whether it be a PAMPA winner or a Sunday sport flyer..

In my working career as an ME, I learned that every one from the janitor, draftsman, graphic artist, and so on can see things and have ideas that the most senior engineer would never think about simply because his mind is set and closed to any thinking other than his own.

Remarks such as the one that you made does nothing to improve the hobby or attracts new participants.

The OP related his experience, nothing more, nothing less.

Yes well we just let our janitor do some air cylinder sizing here and that thing is really big!  It does work though. 

Pretty much your statement negates the hard work of everyone, including the janitor.  As an ME what advice can you give to the janitor?  Just because you can sweep a floor does that make you a janitor?  I guess you mean as an ME you will accept the advice of the lowly janitor, for whatever ME issues that you are dealling with,  but you are unwilling to accept the advice of an expert who is generally accepted to be qualified in his field by his peers.

I'll tell you what remarks do nothing to improve the hobby or attracts new participants.  It is the statement that the Fox 35 is even a remotely viable powerplant, considering the options that available today, for a person new to this hobby.  Same goes for the Ringmaster.

To Mr. Bucks defense he is the guy who made a viable plug and play alternative known to the stunt community.  He doesn't have to do this.  He doesn't have to do research on a beginner set up that can be bought from Tower Hobbies, particlarly when he is regularly attacked for making statements which are true.  This is because Mr. Buck has made a contribution that does much to attract new people to the hobby.

Ok I got floors to mop.

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 05:19:21 PM »
Joseph, I am sorry that you misconstrued the points made in my post that you responded to.

Better luck next time.

Regards, Phil Bare, playing with toy airplanes and engines for 60 years.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 05:54:19 PM »
I think what we are missing in this discussion is the definition of what is a 4-2-4 stunt run. Many people describe it as having the engine set for a 4 cycle run in level flight that pulls the plane at around 52 - 53 mph (around a 4.9 sec lap time on 60' lines) where when the ship pitches up in say a loop the motor switches to 2 cycle operation at about the 10 O'clock point and holds unit the 2 O'clock point, giving about 200-400 rpm boost, then switches back to a 4 cycle operation on the down leg (see Randy Smith engine tips at the top of the forum).  This holds true for about every maneuver. The engine needs to add power smoothly, meaning that as the model pitches up the engine begins adding power even in the 4 cycle as it approaches the break point and eases off and richens slowing by 200 - 400 below level flight rpm (braking) as the nose points down. Once back at the bottom the rpm returns to level flight rpm point and it is ready to start again.

Now you can have variations, but the ideal is to get more power just before the ship runs out of momentum to maintain speed and to resist speeding up as you come down hill or if the wind pushes the ship. The trick is to have the right load on the motor, have a motor that is timed to operate in this manner at the rpm you want to run (for classic Fox 35 it is around 9000 rpm at launch in 4 cycle) and to have the plane load match the power the motor can achieve.

If you run leaner the launch rpm increase and the break point will start sooner and hold longer. For a heavy ship this may be needed so all things have to match. So when you say you still have a 4-2 run it may be but it may not be the best 4-2 setup you could have if the ship speed up to much.

Best,     DennisT
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 06:04:17 AM by Dennis Toth »

Offline Joseph Lijoi

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 10:13:55 AM »
Joseph, I am sorry that you misconstrued the points made in my post that you responded to.

Better luck next time.

Regards, Phil Bare, playing with toy airplanes and engines for 60 years.

You are not sorry, you are just arrogant.

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 10:29:45 AM »

Now that is funny, Joe....... LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 04:01:05 PM »

I'd like to buy you a beer Joseph.

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 05:02:56 PM »
Larry, how ironic coming from you.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 05:30:01 PM »
      Hello Brett:

You suggested that a stuffer backplate would be a good addition for a Fox .35 that is to be run hard as in racing.  I do not know where the stuffer backplate would be legal in a Fox event.  I think that they have to be stock!

Broken cranshafts in a Fox racing event? I have only seen one and it was mine in a Fox that was "Stock" but would go much faster than any Fox that I had seen then or since.  I have no idea as to what was done to it as the guy who did the work would not tell me.  It puked the crank after winning the feature race.  The engine looked stock inside and out but it was very fast!

I was not complaining about a burp  but mentioned the fact that mine went away when I I slightly leaned out the engine.  I think that it is easier to do that than to mess with the case! KISS

In any case, try to get to see some Foxberg racing and perhaps build a plane and compete.  It is indeed a lot of fun! You may gain more respect for the Fox .35.

Oh Yes, how long does a Fox .35 last if it is just flown for stunt!

Ask Marvin Denny about the racing events he was referring to for the stuffer backplate. Fox racing has been around for a very long time, before there were any agreed-to rules. That's definitely what it is for.

The Fox will last a very long time just running it for stunt, on 5-10% nitro and the requisite large amounts of oil. The weak point is the crank, and it gets astronomically worse if you go above 15% nitro. As long as you don't get a lean run, the cylinder will last a very long time. I have something like 40 gallons of fuel through one of mine and it is fine. Thats A LOT of flights, as mentioned above. One lean run can wipe it out.

At this point, there are enough aftermarket parts around that you can make it last indefinitely. Randy's High-Zoot crankshaft solves the crankshaft issue completely, and, very interesting, people tell me it reduces the vibration in most cases, even over stock cranks that have had altered counterbalances.

The stock engine is dandy for stunt use IF you don't expect to have modern performance AND you use it on an upright or inverted mount. It was absolutely no accident that they won a bunch of stunt contests (although you might find it to be a lot less than purported if you actually add up the wins in big contests), they have some very good characteristics. Lots of power, good function on profiles,  and ease of use (in the year 2013) are not among them.

I apologize for getting snippy above, I was getting frustrated (after having the same discussion 100 times over the last 20 years). But the burp is 100% a known quality, perfectly well understood, with a perfectly good, easy-to-implement, and cheap 100% fix. There's no reason I can see for not doing it, and once you do, then you can run it any way you want, including with less pitch and more RPM until something else starts to give up the ghost.

As always, I have no real stake in this, and anyone can obviously do anything they want. Advice is just that, advice, no skin off my nose if you don't want to do it. But bear in mind, lots of us have lots and lots of experience and have seen people struggle with a variety of things that they really don't need to, and it's easy to get frustrated when the solution is at hand and people choose not to use it.

Brett

p.s. http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=4458.0 - why Marvin invented stuffer backplates.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:01:08 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2013, 05:40:04 PM »

I certainly accept that other people have experience and that it may be different.  I would be very surprised, however, if you (or anyone else posting in this thread, or even on all of Stunthangar) have more complete patterns with a Fox 35. And in fact, if someone who does, like Bob Gieseke, were to tell me something about it, I would at least listen instead of immediately naysaying it or arguing with him.

Not that this is a matter of "proof by authority" which is never valid, but to have something known to fix the problem perfectly with a perfectly-well-understood mechanism, and causes absolutely no harm, it is more than a little frustrating to see people still struggling with it or being told that it is wrong. Particularly after seeing people have exactly this problem time after time, obviously (to me) cause them severe problems including crashing, and then have them come off the circle proclaiming that it never happens and the engine runs great.

Again, as above, I am not mad at anyone and I am not going to get my feelings hurt over it. I got a little short with Frank and I apologize for that. I provide my best input but no one is compelled to follow it.

Brett

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2013, 05:45:13 PM »
To Mr. Bucks defense he is the guy who made a viable plug and play alternative known to the stunt community.  He doesn't have to do this.  He doesn't have to do research on a beginner set up that can be bought from Tower Hobbies, particlarly when he is regularly attacked for making statements which are true.  This is because Mr. Buck has made a contribution that does much to attract new people to the hobby.

Thanks Joseph, I appreciate the defense, and that someone appreciates the contributions.

But really, no one was going after me (except in the ratings... very amusing). It was a difference of opinion, and thats the way it's going to go sometimes. I am certainly not upset with anyone from this thread.

Brett

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 06:13:59 PM »
Brett, Franks OP, said that he was flying a Fox .35 plane and experienced the burp.
He said that he was able to eliminate the burp by leaning it out a few clicks.
I reiterated that I run my engines in a 2 cycle mode and have never experienced the burp.
I was hoping to see an interesting exchange and perhaps learn some thing regarding Franks leaning his engine out, eliminating the burp, yet retaining the 4-2 break.
I saw no good reason for Larry's comment.

I do respect your achievements in the hobby and know that I could have never done the same because I never had the discipline nor desire required to put in the time  needed.

The 'fix' for the burp for those that wish to run the engine in 4-2 mode is well know, I was curious to find out more about Franks 'leaned it out four clicks' and the burp went away yet retained the 4-2 run..

Regards, Phil

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 06:39:42 PM »

Appreciate the notice, and aside from being in a fairly small fraternity of NATS winners, I agree that it may or may not be any more notable. You'll certainly never see me saying I am the greatest stunt flier who has ever lived!  Even though I was, amusingly, #1 in the all time scoring list when Dick Byron stopped keeping it. That has more to say about the validity of scoring lists than it does about me. Billy was something like 15th. OOPS!  I have a very realistic view of where I stand in the big scheme of things, and it ain't the head of the list!

I would point out, however, that in fact, I didn't do it the way many other people have, I have a relatively small fraction of the "zillion flights" that used to be a standard way to win stunt contests. And it is relevant to this thread, to some extent.

For example, I have flown maybe 500 flights in the last 10 years, and in the year leading up to my win in 2006 I flew 25 flights (from my crash at the 2005 NATs to end of the Walker flyoff in 2006), and only 3 flights from the 2005 NATs to a week before 2006. The other 22 were starting from scratch with a brand new airplane and rebuilt engine, 5 flights at home before we left, and 17 at the contest, including all the practice and the official flights.  

There are a lot of reasons for this, but the way I can do this and still be competitive is because I have less-than-average piloting skills (compared to the other top competitors) but better-than-average engineering skills. I make up for my weaknesses in one area by excelling in another. That's why this event, with all the variety of skills it takes, is so accessible to everyone. As a result I am flattered by the fact that other competitors seek my assistance in the area of trim and engine/prop setup. 3 of this year's top 5, for instance. I am proud of that, I have to admit.

When these arguments come up, I have to say I do get mildly irritated/amused when I have people like David Fitzgerald and Bob Hunt seek out my advice, and pay attention (whether or not they actually use it), and other people who are maybe not as accomplished ignore it or tell me I don't know what I am talking about. Whether it irritating or amusing depends on when it happens and how, I have good and bad days like anyone else.

I do my best to provide good advice no matter who it is and am always willing to provide help as needed. I didn't get to 3500 posts here, and ~10,000 on SSW (and a few thousand on the old RCO and a thousand or so on the old compuserve forum) by refusing to help people or by trying to keep my hard-won experience to myself. No one is special enough or good enough to be "above" talking to anyone else. Although there are plenty of people who DO think they are too good for it, they are wrong - and note the contributors here, and you can see that the guys who are genuinely top experts are more than willing to answer any question you have. Like all 5 of this years Walker Flyoff pilots, who have all posted in the last few weeks.

I don't respond to threads that I don't know anything about, and I don't start a lot of threads, I answer other people's questions to the best of my ability.

Sometimes people take offense when it doesn't meet their expectations, and sometime I get bent out of shape for whatever reason, usually from someone naysaying something that is demonstrably true. We are all human and we occasionally get into arguments over silly things, that's the human experience. We get over it and move on.

Brett

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2013, 06:46:41 PM »

The 'fix' for the burp for those that wish to run the engine in 4-2 mode is well know, I was curious to find out more about Franks 'leaned it out four clicks' and the burp went away yet retained the 4-2 run..

And I think the underlying theory of the cause of the burp is perfectly consistent with that. Leaning it out speeds up the engine and makes the break occur sooner in the maneuver, and has the effect of speeding up the gas flow (more speed = more power = higher flow rate = higher flow velocity in the bypass). Engines are essentially self-powered air pumps, more power, more air gets pumped.

The bypass filler speeds up the gas flow sufficiently that you can run at any setting without an issue. It also doesn't hurt anything at any useful stunt speed.

So I think we answered the question and there's nothing too mysterious here. Plenty of other things are mysterious and another great source for arguments (like, why it does a break in the first place...) but not this.

I am not mad at anyone and I hope no one is mad at me over this one, it's pretty straightforward

Brett

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2013, 08:17:49 PM »
Brett, the charge velocity through the transfer passage is, of course, what the burp is all about.
Reducing cross section helps keep the velocity up, just as turning the engine up does. No doubt about that.

I have always maintained that if the engine is leaned out and turned up, there is no burp.

Revs and flat pitch props work on all sorts of engines.

Regards, Phil

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2013, 08:27:14 PM »
Brett, the charge velocity through the transfer passage is, of course, what the burp is all about.
Reducing cross section helps keep the velocity up, just as turning the engine up does. No doubt about that.

I have always maintained that if the engine is leaned out and turned up, there is no burp.

Revs and flat pitch props work on all sorts of engines.

I made my stunt career on that theory! 

Brett

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2013, 07:20:33 AM »
  I made my stunt career on that theory! 

Brett

Works great, doesn't it?                H^^

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2013, 09:44:26 AM »
Works great, doesn't it?                H^^

Low pitch/high rev is what has transformed stunt. It's the very basic principle behind tuned pipes, and is also the key to the 20FP magic run. You really can't get much value of this from the Fox/McCoy/ST46 type engines. That's why 4-2 break engines are not used much in stunt any more. A Fox 35 or ST46 will spin a 4" pitch prop fast enough to achieve the necessary level flight speed (although the Fox is in great danger of self-destructing itself or the airplane). I beat David Fitzgerald in a contest that way - I had the Fox and the infamous Skyray, spinning an 9-4 Rev-up, and beat him with his brand new PA40 in the first Star Gazer. The engine chewed through the backplate, anodizing and all, in about a run and a half and shook the nose off the airplane. Unfortunately Bill Howe beat us both with a Genesis mod and an ST46. The problem is that even though you can spin the prop fast enough for level flight, its completely "dead" in the maneuvers because theres no way for the engine to rev up more when it needs to recover speed. So at best you can drop to around 5", which limits the possibilities of this approach.

On the other hand the 20FP or similar has absolutely no problem running with plenty of breathing room at the necessary level flight speeds. When you need more poop in a maneuver, no problem. 4" is no problem and you can full advantage of the superior thrust/velocity slope, 3.5 is well within the realm of possibility. A 20, in a typical "35-sized" trainer puts out about exactly what you need in terms of power and can run stably at these revs. A modern 40 won't, it will tend to be far too fast because it is very difficult to keep it at the right speed at 20% of capacity, at least with conventional mufflers.

Of course, tuned pipes solve the last problem, and you can keep it at any arbitrary power setting by manipulating the power curve with the tuning. So the restriction on engine size for a muffled engine is gone, you can use as big an engine as you want. Of course you don't really need the extra power capability, in fact you can't use any more power. That's why the airplane flies similarly with anything from a 40VF to a PA75. As soon as we had this to control the massive power available from schneurle 40's and up, getting adequate power was no longer relevant, you had as much as you wanted. This completely transformed the event since about 1988. All we are doing choosing between different engines is a matter of how easy it is get the response you want out of it, not how much power it puts out. You could probably get 10HP out of a 75, but you can't use more than about 1/2 a horse.

So, figure a 25LA or similar is a cheap slightly smaller version of a piped engine, that requires no special knowledge or tuning capability when used properly. And they are dead-nuts reliable, user-friendly, and widely available. There's absolutely no reason to not use it, even beginners. Hence my repeated recommendation to avoid ancient 4-2 break motors like the Fox aside from special cases. There's no reason that anyone has to give up modern performance.

Brett

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2013, 10:02:25 AM »
Last Seguin contest was maybe five or six years ago. 

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2013, 05:17:52 AM »
Brett, that is an interesting post and covers lots of ground.
I fail to see how high revs-low pitch would not work with any engine that will turn 11- 13 thousand RPM or thereabout.
It seems to me that any engine that  a novice can learn to operate and fly is adequate for the job and with the many choices available among the new stuff and the thousands of old engines floating around, the bases should be well covered.

Phil

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2013, 07:55:10 PM »
Brett, that is an interesting post and covers lots of ground.
I fail to see how high revs-low pitch would not work with any engine that will turn 11- 13 thousand RPM or thereabout.

Well, it doesn't. An ST46 will spin 13000 rpm - if you put a small enough prop on it. That's the problem, the prop required it so small that the low pitch doesn't compensate, and there is no *breathing room* , the torque curve is plummeting at that rpm.

Even a 40FSR - which is not much of a stunt engine by todays standards - works FAR better in this respect, in fact, it's better than an ST60. The issue is, a 40VF, or PA40/51/61/65/75 or Jett 50/61/65, is far better still.

You are approaching this like it was a hypothetical argument, but people have been experimenting with this for close to 40 years now, and there's no serious debate about what it going on or why.  We have tried just about every variation on the theme, and around 5" is the low end for the ST46/60 and the Fox.

Can you stick a 12-4 on an ST46 and fly an airplane with it? Of course. It just doesn't work very well compared to 5.5" and a lower RPM. Either of those works far less well than a 40VF or PA61. Same story with a Fox35 and smaller airplanes. It works about as well now as it did in 1955 (although it's FAR harder to support and maintain due to lack of easy access to fuel). It's not nearly as good as other, far easier to deal with, alternatives.

It seems to me that any engine that  a novice can learn to operate and fly is adequate for the job and with the many choices available among the new stuff and the thousands of old engines floating around, the bases should be well covered.

"Adequate" is probably right, if you are very patient. Buy why toss out the incredible advances of the last 30ish years just because someone is a beginner? Or, the way I would say it is why saddle a beginner with something that has less than the best available performance, is expensive (because to even make a go of it with a Fox you need some aftermarket parts, or just struggle with it like we used to - and don't say we didn't, I lived through it), uses unobtainium fuel, coats everything with oil, has terrible user-friendlieness, and shakes the airplane apart. When you can get a far-superior-performing and far easier to handle engine that uses any fuel you happen to find, uses props that cost $1.94 in bulk, has an effective muffler (that also improves the performance)  - oh, and if you wait around for a deal, costs about the same as the replacement crankshaft for the Fox.

I did my first complete pattern with a Fox 35, bone stock, on a profile. I flew thousands of patterns with a Fox35/Nobler/TF 10-6/Fox Superfuel. I did thousands more flights with an ST46/Rev-Up 12-6 or similar, and was one of the very last holdouts (along with my mentor Ted Fancher). We knew what we were doing, and all the tricks there are. It's not like I am dreaming this stuff up out of whole cloth, I did it because that was just about the only way to do it at the time.

Based on that experience, and the knowledge gained since then, it is my assessment that the very last thing a beginner needs is to be screwing around with any of these old engines, it took an amazing amount of knowledge to just keep them running ideally - and it had to be ideal because the performance is so marginal. I am an old fart just like most of us, but not the kind of old fart to tell people "well it was hard for me, and I turned out great, so it should be hard for everyone else". I want people to not have to struggle and fight with equipment to learn how to make it work, it accomplishes nothing.

Brett

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2013, 08:16:44 AM »
Brett, your opinion is noted, it just differs from many others and that's ok, just don't try to sell it as gospel.

I have said before, I have a S1 Ringmaster with an LA .25 on it, I also have a nearly identical S1 Ringmaster with an old Fox .35 on it.

They both fly and provide fun and enjoyment. I can't knock either one. The LA .25 does nothing any better than the Fox and maybe a tad weaker in some maneuvers, but then, I am not a contest flier.

I also have a Barnstormer with a Forster .35 on it and it works as well as anything.

My Junior Flightstreak  with A Norvell .15 provides lots of fun.

As I said, any engine that a beginner can learn to operate
and fly is as good as any other. They all require fuel, and an ignition source and adjusting the mixture.
McCoy, Fox, Veco, K&B, Johnson, Forster, Nelson, Jett, and every other engine ever made require the exact same thing.
As for fuel, a quick call to Red Max will get you any mix that you want, so that BS argument is just that.
On any and all engines with a fixed venture and needle valve, the idea of 'reserve power' is nonsensical because there is no way to access any power that is available because the throttle can't be opened.
A piped .75 will make what ever power that the needle is set for and the pipe is tuned to hold...........unless it has an RC carb on it that can be opened or closed.

Disinformation, old wives tales and just plain old BS does more harm to the hobby than anything.

If a beginner comes out to my flying field and asks if I can help him, do you think that I should tell him 'No' I can't help you because you have an O & R .33 engine on your airplane but if you go buy a new OS .25 LA and put it on your airplane, I will help you"?

Myself, I will do every thing that I can to help the beginner no matter what he drags out to my field.
I will certainly not start in by knocking his engine/plane/fuel, and etc.

Back when I learned to fly CL, speed was the name of the game and if you look at planes from that era they all pretty much had thinish airfoils and leaned out or 'wet 2' was how I learned to run an engine.
The '4-2 break' never made much sense to me because the engine has to slow down in order for the timing to effectively be advanced enough to ignite the rich fuel mixture on every stroke. At that time, slowing down held little interest for me.
Now that I am old, slowing down is much more appealing, hence, the 11X4 props.

I just don't get the need for some folks to denigrate any brand of engine. They all (engines) do the same thing and there is not ten cents worth of difference  in how they do it.

The two most disappointing engines that I ever owned were both OS, both bought new.
The first was a twin stack .29 that I purchased because I liked the looks of it, that thing was as weak as pond water, no where near the power of the OK Cub .29 that I replaced with the twin stack. The next was an OS .80 that I purchased after reading a review on it to replace a Fox .59 RC in a large German model that I was flying at the time. after breaking it in and installing it, after a few flights, I put the Fox .59 back in the plane. You don't hear me knocking OS engines.

Watch a guy named Charlie Reeves fly his Big Job with an old long shaft Fox .59 and then tell him how much 'better' he would be if he only had a PA 61 in it.

( edited to add) BTW, Fox manufacturing still produces Fox S .35s and Super Fuel.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2013, 08:37:31 PM »
Brett, your opinion is noted, it just differs from many others and that's ok, just don't try to sell it as gospel.

<<snip>>

Watch a guy named Charlie Reeves fly his Big Job with an old long shaft Fox .59 and then tell him how much 'better' he would be if he only had a PA 61 in it.

( edited to add) BTW, Fox manufacturing still produces Fox S .35s and Super Fuel.

Most of this is snipped because it bears absolutely no relationship to what I said. We were talking about low pitch/high RPM.

I am not bashing Foxes, I am saying there are far better alternatives. Particularly for beginners.  Again, I would guess I have 5x the number of Fox flights that you do.

You are absolutely correct about "Disinformation, old wives tales and just plain old BS does more harm to the hobby than anything.". Couldn't agree more.

BTW, the "name dropping" isn't going to work, I know Charlie pretty well, and we have absolutely no conflicts, great guy. Please be sure to tell him, next time you talk to him, that you are straightening me out on how stunt engines work.

I have been pretty polite here, I haven't baited you into anything, I have answered every question you asked (and everyone one else) patiently, and explained it in detail. Why are you going off on tangents about "Fox Bashing"?

Brett

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2013, 06:51:09 AM »
Brett, low pitch, high revs will work on any engine that will turn fast enough to get the flight speed that is desired with a given pitch.
It makes no difference if it is a PA, a LA, or a Fox, Veco, Forster, or what ever.

In another post, you maintained that you were not one of those guys that had repeated the pattern a zillion times now you are claiming to have made 5 times the Fox flights that anyone else has............

I just think that telling anyone that old school engines, no matter how you run them, should be avoided because an LA is so much 'better' is just nonsense.
Plenty of iron/steel engines will turn 12-18 thousand RPMs but then, so will the 'modern' engines that I own.

As I said, I have ran 11X4 props on leaned out Fox S .35s for years with good results, but then, I am not a contest flyer so my 'good results' may be only in my perception.

Foxberg racers turn the Stunt .35 13 thousand as a matter of routine and they are supposed to be box stock.

The kid/beginner/novice that arrives at the field with an old Ringmaster with a Hope .29 on it should be helped and encouraged.
No less than the Kid/beginner/novice with the latest and greatest Super Whiz Bang with a LA 25 on it.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2013, 09:00:00 AM »
I wouldn't advise someone just getting started to get a Fox stunt 35.  There are other engines available which can be made to perform well by a person with a high amount of ignorance. I might make an exception if it was my Fox stunt 35, and I could work closely with the beginner to teach them the Fox Cabal Secret Handshake.   

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2013, 11:30:03 AM »
If you have a Fox S .35 mounted on a profile and it 'burps' on outside maneuvers, lean it out and let it run and the burp is eliminated.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2013, 11:46:51 AM »
As to low pitch/high rpm, the 1964 World Championships were won by Juri Sirotkin using a 4 pitch prop on an MVVS special edition engine.  It just didn't take hold on the stunt world at that time.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2013, 01:23:36 PM »
Brett, low pitch, high revs will work on any engine that will turn fast enough to get the flight speed that is desired with a given pitch.
It makes no difference if it is a PA, a LA, or a Fox, Veco, Forster, or what ever.

The brand certainly doesn't make a difference. The torque curve certainly does. Fox/McCoy 35, ST46, is not conducive to this approach, and until you try to fly the stunts that way, and then compare it to the other ways, you should maybe defer to the dozens or hundreds of people who have. 

Suggesting that anyone other than a rank beginner start out with something that is known to be less-than-ideal even even in expert hands is not good advice. The premise seems to be that unless you are an expert, anything will do. That's exactly backwards,  experts can deal with whatever problems there might be, beginners have no hope of dealing with it.

BTW,  I flew a bunch of flights back in the good old days because the performance of the available engines was so marginal that it was the only way to proceed. That was close to 40 years ago. If we had the same sort of engines, we would all still be doing it. I don't, and no one else should have to, to anything like that any more. We didn't have a 25LA, 46LA, and the knowledge needed to take advantage of them. That problem was solved in about 1986.

I note that no one has yet bothered to take me up on the challenge - someone (someone who can tell the difference) should probably re-do the sorts of experiments I did that led to the 20FP with currently available engines. Maybe a Fox25 Schneurle is the worlds greatest stunt engine, and no one knows it yet. There is an entire new crop of these small engines, and the field is ripe for development. Ground rules are 4" or less of pitch on a commonly-available and inexpensive prop, NO, repeat NO significant engine modifications,  see how well it flies a Twister or similar profile trainer originally designed for a Fox 35 or similar. Use the 20FP or 25LA as a standard

Brett

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2013, 02:43:14 PM »
Leaning out a Fox S .35 and letting it turn does away with the burp. It gets the transfer port velocity up.
Lots of .19 to .25 engines both old and new that have and do fly .35 sized planes quite well.
My LA .25 powered S1 Ringmaster does a fine job but not a bit better than My Fox .35 powered Ringmaster.
The LA .20 and LA .25 are ok cheap engines but no better nore worse than a hundred others.

Oh, and BTW, lots of people over the past 50 - 60 years have said that a Fox S .35 is one of the most user friendly engines going.

Matter of fact, I would bet that more people learned to fly using a Fox S .35 than all other brands combined.

Do I think that it is 'the best engine going" nope but I do think that it is no worse than any others.

As I said before any engine that a novice can learn to run and will fly his airplane is as good as any other.

A leaned out Fox S .35 has no burp.

The OP indicates that fact.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2013, 04:05:04 PM »
This argument is like two guys arguing over who has the most beautiful wife. No one can win as neither guy will concede to the other. Years later they fine out they were married to identical twins. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ Z@@ZZZ Z@@ZZZ Z@@ZZZ Z@@ZZZ Z@@ZZZ Z@@ZZZ

Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2013, 04:57:48 PM »
Ed, you might have some thing there. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline Joseph Lijoi

• Commander
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2013, 04:58:11 PM »
This argument is like two guys arguing over who has the most beautiful wife. No one can win as neither guy will concede to the other. Years later they fine out they were married to identical twins. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ Z@@ZZZ Z@@ZZZ Z@@ZZZ Z@@ZZZ Z@@ZZZ Z@@ZZZ

Hardly.  

What is the recommended prop for the self destructing two cycling Fox 35?  The fact that this thread exists is an indication of the "user friendliness" of this historic engine.  Of course you will have to run the recommended 29% all castor fuel that you will have to mail order at $125 a case plus hazmat fees.  I would consider pulling out the crankshaft, run it on a dial indicator, and whack it with a mallet. I have yet to see a straight crankshaft on any of these classic relics before I gave up on them.   Not too user friendly.  

Please do use at least a gallon and a half of that precious mail order fuel to break in the sacred artifact, especially if you want to run it in a two cycle, lest you warp the liner.  But worry not, the warped Fox will have sufficient power to pull the iconic Ringmaster, which is to this day the yardstick by which we measure stunt performance.

In my nieghborhood most of us learned to fly on Cox reed valve 049's.  I think this is true of a lot of people.  That was because we had to fund our own hobbies and quite frankly many of our immigrant fathers thought that flying model airplnes was a waste of time when you could be doing things like digging a ditch or staking tomato plants.

The FP 20, 25 and LA25 are much better choices, in every way.  I think there is a lot of stubborness on the issue because the Fox 35 is made in the USA.  I can understand that.  Fox does make a CL 25 that is $5.00 more and weighs 1 oz more that might be a good choice.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here