News:

• May 22, 2024, 05:15:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS LA engines  (Read 940 times)

Offline Joe Messinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
OS LA engines
« on: April 04, 2008, 09:56:13 PM »
My curiosity has the best of me.  Opinion seems to be that OS LA .46 engines are better stunt engines than the LA .40 engines.  I know that the .46 is a bit lighter than the .40 and has somewhat more torque.  Other than that, what is the difference?  Does the timing of the .46 differ from the .40?

I don't doubt the conclusions regarding these engines. I  just would be interested in the reason(s) the .46 doesn't require modification and it's recommended for the .40 LA engines.  They -appear- to be identical with displacement being the only difference noted.

Thanks,

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: OS LA engines
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 02:02:29 PM »
Most flyers trying the LA 40 seem to overprop it.  It does require a smaller prop than the 46, around 11/4 or less, or the new 3 blade Master Airscrew 10/5, maybe trimmed a bit.  The 40 looks like it has a bit higher stock compression than the 46.  It usually requires adding gaskets or enlarging the head bubble, where the 46 often will run OK without those changes.

When a maker bores out a case to fit a larger sleeve the ports on the larger bore usually end up being relatively smaller than on the smaller engine.  Makes the engine run more in the classic stunt style like the 46. For max power the ports always end up taking up virtually the entire circumference of the sleeve.  The 40's ports are relatively a bit larger than the 46, making it tend to be a bit peakier, slightly higher rpm engine.
phil Cartier

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 07:21:34 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, Phil.  That makes sense to me.  I hate making statements such as " The LA .46 engine is better than .40 LA for stunt flying" without being able to offer a reason(s) why.  Now, I can back up that claim with some facts.

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 11:15:24 AM »
Phil's observations as usual are spot on. They square with my observations, in any case. LA46s usually sound fat and happy. They loaf and pull. Or they can be tweaked leaner, if needed, to pull a plane with a thick airfoil, or a 40 sized plane on the heavy side. I've been frequently surprised at how well they run out of the box. Even for less experienced fliers not skilled at tuning in a stunt run. When compared to the 40, the 46 seems more tolerant of different props. Also, the needle setting is wider and less critical.

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 10:37:16 AM »
I call the LA46 and theST46 dumb engines. they usually run where you set them and most of the time you don't have to change the needle setting. I ran my LA's on 10/18 and my Tigre on all caster. Tigres run best with larger props and La's will run good with a variety of props. I use thunderbolt RC plugs on all of my engines.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here