News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:02:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Muffler ID--Round Two  (Read 672 times)

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Muffler ID--Round Two
« on: February 01, 2023, 11:32:21 PM »
Guys,

You helped me out with the first one, so I'm going to ask for more sleuthing from you.

This one came out of a junk box that came from a "stunty" source. It would seem to be for old Supertigre .46.  I decarbonized it and polished it up since I needed an ST mufflicator. Turns out there was some nice aluminum under the crud. The brass strap was never used with this muffler, but it was in the junk box. I straightened it a bit, but the holes would need to be drilled. I'd probably just make a replacement to give myself some edge distance on the holes. The manifold is threaded for 6-32 screws. The stinger ID is about .320"; effective pipe length around 5-1/2". Boss with threaded hole for pressure tap included. Weight with strap and bolts is 53 grams, so it feels light for its size. Nice brazing/welding.

This one has the manifold offset from the centerline of the main chamber, which now seems to be standard practice, probably to promote flow thru the 90-degree transition. The Semco muffler did not--the mainfold was centered on the tube.

Seems like the biggest dislike would be the angle of the tube to the manifold. It won't sit in close to the fuselage, but would extend some 3-1/8" from the centerline back at the stinger.

Who made these? How did they compare to other mufflers for stunt run characteristics? Any direct experience with one on the ST.46?

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Muffler ID--Round Two
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 11:33:47 PM »
Here's another view of the muffler in question.

Offline Peter Wakefield

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 08:30:00 PM »
Macs muffler

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 08:52:23 PM »
  These mufflers may work well, but that big protrusion at the from is right near the prop arc. Would the prop hit t on some applications?  You finger sure would when trying to flip start the engine.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 09:21:26 PM »

70g co2 cartridge

:-\

been meaning to check these out . May be related - by the look .

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 09:37:45 AM »

70g co2 cartridge

:-\

been meaning to check these out . May be related - by the look .

Those are made from steel, aren't they??. CO2 is stored in liquid form for the most part, and I don't think aluminum is a good choice for that. They may be fairly light, but not as light as aluminum would be.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2023, 02:43:44 AM »
Was a pic. of mufflers in a ancient ( fearfully modern , it was after the war ! ) 80s AMA Stunt Column . From comparison , 1 Oz. capacity .
as in staed as one , and elsewhere shown .  :( so maybe true. then anyway .
Seems somer of the smaller ones ( big soda syphon size ? ) were some flash alloy rather'n steel . Perhaps . Might be investagable .

Still recon antique ladders , 1965 , may have ' Big Art ' ribbed tread tubes !   44 Gallon drums are to big . Nuther Story ! .

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2023, 03:25:24 PM »
Was a pic. of mufflers in a ancient ( fearfully modern , it was after the war ! ) 80s AMA Stunt Column . From comparison , 1 Oz. capacity .
as in staed as one , and elsewhere shown .  :( so maybe true. then anyway .
Seems somer of the smaller ones ( big soda syphon size ? ) were some flash alloy rather'n steel . Perhaps . Might be investagable .

Still recon antique ladders , 1965 , may have ' Big Art ' ribbed tread tubes !   44 Gallon drums are to big . Nuther Story ! .

I've seen & worked with finned tube "keel coolers" very similar to Big Art mufflers. I assumed that he got something like that to base his mufflers on. Maybe one of Big's boys would know what the tubing was actually made for? If I had a rear/mid-engined car that needed a front mounted radiator, I'd use keel cooler tubing to route coolant from engine to radiator, to reduce the size of radiator required, running it under the floorboards.

I'm thinking of putting a Chevy V-8 in the backseat of a Tesla...or maybe Gen 2 Corvair.  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here