News:

• April 23, 2024, 06:36:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: muffler gasket sealant  (Read 1204 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
muffler gasket sealant
« on: May 13, 2019, 04:09:37 PM »
Guys,
I did the search here for muffler gasket sealant and found nothing (did the same on SS - nothing). So I though I would ask if anyone knows of a sealant produce that can be used to seal mufflers in place of paper gaskets? My flying buddy Roy use to have some white sealant he would use for all his sealant needs except head gaskets, I never got the name of the produce before he passed. Anyone have suggestions, I need to put a tongue muffler in place and would like to not have to spend hours trying to hand cut a gasket.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: muffler gasket sealant
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 04:42:41 PM »
Guys,
I did the search here for muffler gasket sealant and found nothing (did the same on SS - nothing). So I though I would ask if anyone knows of a sealant produce that can be used to seal mufflers in place of paper gaskets? My flying buddy Roy use to have some white sealant he would use for all his sealant needs except head gaskets, I never got the name of the produce before he passed. Anyone have suggestions, I need to put a tongue muffler in place and would like to not have to spend hours trying to hand cut a gasket.

Best,    DennisT

Permatex Ultra Copper High-temp silicone sealant.

https://stunthanger.com/smf/engine-set-up-tips/os-exterior-tarnishing/msg543061/#msg543061

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 09:41:28 PM »
Guys,

Best,    DennisT

Why would it take "hours" to cut a gasket? Just take a rectangle of the appropriate material, larger than the muffler surface, twiddle a hole in one end with an exacto knife for a screw to go through and center the material. Twiddle another hole at the opposite end and insert the other screw. Take a sharp exacto and trim around the inside of the muffler opening. Trim the outside but leave some extra sticking out to make a better seal, and you are done. You can cheat a bit and glue the material in place first so it won't shift and just leave it in place. Took longer for me to type this than to actually do it. The new sealers are great but sometimes you just don't want or need to use it.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 09:31:51 PM »
I've never used gaskets on mufflers.  Unless you have a serious leak, a "hermetic" seal isn't normally necessary.

Oh, Oh. Here I go again.  I should stay away from the engine forum, since I'm not an expert.  We already have experts here dispensing tons of advice.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Tom Vieira

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 07:40:25 AM »
i use a beer can for material, and then use high temp permatex on each side.

Offline Norm Furutani

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 09:21:46 AM »
Been doing the same as Dan McEntee. I did buy a sheet of auto gasket paper because it's tougher than card stock. I CA a piece to the muffler and then cut it out with an XActo knife. Same for backplate gaskets.

Norm

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 10:37:10 AM »
More than 20 years ago, someone told me about OMC Adhesive M, it has since been replaced by 3M 847.  I put a bead around the muffler mounting surface and a dab on each screw, I have not had a muffler come loose since.  It can be stringy coming out of the tube and a little difficult to get in place, be persistent.  GT

: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Nitrile-Performance-Rubber-Adhesive/dp/B008F8WD04/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_cr_simh_0_2/132-2076444-5328245?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B008F8WD04&pd_rd_r=c9152ccb-87cc-4614-8983-4e483ae48a41&pd_rd_w=rYCXS&pd_rd_wg=6sN3n&pf_rd_p=67aa5820-8762-4202-90ba-881bb99c913c&pf_rd_r=5MYA340AF8JBJ3NPGTYZ&psc=1&refRID=5MYA340AF8JBJ3NPGTYZ

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here