News:

• March 29, 2024, 02:45:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mounting Spinner On Enya .09 Help  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Mounting Spinner On Enya .09 Help
« on: June 17, 2018, 04:25:02 PM »
Hi again. So, I would like to put a spinner on my nice little Enya .09 I acquired, but for the life of me am having a hard time trying to figure out how I would do so. The reason for teh spinner is that the engine likes to give me little 'fits' when starting sometimes and would like to use a small electric starter. The picture attached is stock engine with propeller and nut. I am thinking that if I add a spinner backplate, the prop nut would only be able to grab a thread or two, and do not feel that it enough. So, if anyone would be able to help me in trying to figure out how to do it or could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: Mounting Spinner On Enya .09 Help
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 09:32:43 PM »

Might pay to put the whole cbbodle on .
Fox Shaft Extn. 1/2 or 3/4 .

Threads 1/4 -28 or the 3/16 Fox 19 thread . Duno what the Enya Is ??

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 09:45:06 PM »
If You LOOK at This One ,

You see the adaptor nut - Goes Through the prop washer , equal to the washer thickness - length of shaft / saved .

A lot of the old diesels have a little spinner / nut . tommy bar or Hex aft .
Some Super Tigre early G 20/15 the nut secures a ' spinner ring ' around the prop , The fwd Spinner has the protrusion aft thru the rear coned ring.
Pretty much same idea as the photo .

Lees Machine Shop could whip you up something pronto .

Oliver Tigre & ETA 15 are similar ( pommy thread tho ). Better if protrusion length is just for though washer etc , not ALL the Prop .
The APCs are rebated in the front there anyway .

If youve got a prop reamer , . . . . .

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 11:16:19 PM »
Check with Randy Smith or Lee Machine Shop.  You may be OK with the extension nut and matching washer (the washer hole needs to be bigger).  Depending on the spinners you have, you may need a bushing for the prop shaft to fit the spinner hole.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Olli-Matti

• 2018 Supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 01:30:36 AM »
Have you tried to start it with a starter without the spinner? I am currently starting my little Enya with a starter and without a spinner. If you center the starter carefully and give it only a little burst it is enough to start the engine. I need to prime the engine and the give these little burst and it will start usually at like fourth or fifth burst.

Just like flipping with a finger but with a starter. These little buggers surely seem not that easy to start with one flip.

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 04:37:32 AM »
Hello
A common problem on Enya and some Fox engines with not enough prop thread to add a spinner. Enya has a range of long prop nuts that solve this issue that covers everything from 06, 09, 15,19, 29, 35 and on up to the 60's . See Ebay auction for the 09 is:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ENYA-060-11CX-LONG-PROP-NUT-WASHER-SET-NIP/292592835290?hash=item441fe45ada:g:45YAAOSw8axZ-OYq

I have used these a lot as I like to run spinners on all my engines. Electric starts help hot starts and speed things up when the flight line is busy and the fingers are tired!

Regards Gerald   #^

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 06:10:10 PM »
Thank you all for your help, tips, and advice. Will try the starter with just the nut for now, but will be investing into one of the other options in the near future.

Online Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 05:20:39 AM »

Duno what the Enya Is ??

Enya .09 has an M5 x 0.9 thread on the crank.  Note that the std ISO M5 has a 0.8mm pitch.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 03:49:28 PM »
Good idea, and one to investigate. Thank you.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 11:46:04 PM »
Generally, if you are going to use an electric finger on an engine without a spinner, you'd pull the rubber cup from the starter and reverse it. Not sure this would work with an Enya .09, but might be worth a shot. The hex nut usually centers up nicely in the hole in the cup, and the face drives against the front of the propeller.

Since you now know the shaft thread, you may be able to find an extended nut and matching washer by searching the website for either Tru-Turn or Dave Brown spinners. As you might expect, smaller sizes and metrics are a bit thinly represented. The other downside is that you'll need to open up the hole in the props, and this makes it more difficult to balance, etc. Depends on how much you want to do it, basically.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 07:06:49 PM »
Since you now know the shaft thread, you may be able to find an extended nut and matching washer by searching the website for either Tru-Turn or Dave Brown spinners. As you might expect, smaller sizes and metrics are a bit thinly represented. The other downside is that you'll need to open up the hole in the props, and this makes it more difficult to balance, etc. Depends on how much you want to do it, basically.  y1 Steve

Thank you for your reply. Now I have one question regarding your reply. Please forgive me for being ignorant, but why would I need to open up the hole in the props? I do not honestly know, as the engine came with the attached APC propeller, and I do not know if it is or was drilled. Still pretty new to running anything bigger than an .049. Thank you.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 08:04:04 PM »

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 06:42:31 PM »
Thank you for your reply. Now I have one question regarding your reply. Please forgive me for being ignorant, but why would I need to open up the hole in the props? I do not honestly know, as the engine came with the attached APC propeller, and I do not know if it is or was drilled. Still pretty new to running anything bigger than an .049. Thank you.

The extended nut (see picture provided by Dallas Hannah with shaft extension and matching washer) gives the basics of what happens. Some are machined so that they don't extend past the back surface of the washer, but the solution you seek may require that the nut extend into the prop. Or maybe not. One of the problems of some modern props is that their hubs are thicker than some of the older ones...avoiding lawsuits, perhaps. Older engines seem to be a bit short of thread length. If you still wish to fit a spinner to your Enya .09, you'll need to come up with the parts and figure out if they'll work, and if they need to be modified or not.

If you need to drill/ream the hole in a prop, a lot depends on what the prop is made from, and what equipment you have to use. It can also be dangerous, and yet i have managed to do this for some years without serious injury (opinions will vary!). I use a drillpress, drillpress vise, several drills, and a carbide reamer for my CF props. But stepped hand reamers (either inch or metric) are available at the LHS or Tower Hobby. You'll want to check to be sure the sizes will work for your assemblage of parts.  I prefer a tapered hand reamer from the hardware store, but it needs to be used carefully to prevent opening the hole up too much, ponder which side to ream from, etc. That last will depend on the brand of prop and how they mold the hub.  H^^ Steve
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 08:20:34 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 12:55:23 PM »
If you need to drill/ream the hole in a prop...

OTOH, if you use APC props they come with a pretty generous hole in the front.  You may luck out with the mounting nut.  Or if you're a nut with a lathe, you may make a point to make a mounting nut that fits inside the hole.

Sometimes making the nut extension just long enough to fit through the washer gives you enough threads to make a good fit.  Sometimes not.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here