Engine basics > Engine set up tips

More Engine setup tips or 9 steps...

<< < (3/3)

kiwibrit:
Question: Just seen this.  What is the effect of NOT reducing the nitro content?

Context: I am had problems yesterday with my side mounded engine (set at wet two stroke) cutting out  sometimes on outside loops. Sounds like fuel starvation. The temperature  was cold (about 2°C [36°F]).   I note the advice above to use a lower nitro content in cold weather. I was using my standard 10% brew which worked well in our warm (by our standards) summer last year, and am wondering if the problem could be related to the nitro content. 

[Edit:  Have thought about this.  Just wondering if a change of plug would be beneficial for the cold weather.  Currently using an OS#F.  Will try Enya #F]

RandySmith:

--- Quote from: kiwibrit on January 19, 2019, 02:01:19 AM ---Question: Just seen this.  What is the effect of NOT reducing the nitro content?

Context: I am had problems yesterday with my side mounded engine (set at wet two stroke) cutting out  sometimes on outside loops. Sounds like fuel starvation. The temperature  was cold (about 2°C [36°F]).   I note the advice above to use a lower nitro content in cold weather. I was using my standard 10% brew which worked well in our warm (by our standards) summer last year, and am wondering if the problem could be related to the nitro content. 

[Edit:  Have thought about this.  Just wondering if a change of plug would be beneficial for the cold weather.  Currently using an OS#F.  Will try Enya #F]

--- End quote ---

Cold weather needs less nitro, when using high nitro you need to run the engine richer.. this can make for flameouts, or stumbling , when you run lower nitro, you need to make the engine run leaner , this puts a little more heat in the motor, similar to running 10% in warmer weather. You will most always benefit using a HOT plug and the correct nitro amount in cold weather.
Other tips are to keep your fuel warm before using it in cold weather, keep your battery warm, I keep mine in my pocket while flying in cold weather.
Use a bit of lighter fluid to help start engines in cold weather
Use fresh HOT glow plug, and fresh fuel

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version