News:

• April 18, 2024, 06:59:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Milling Fox 35 Stunt Mounting Lugs.....  (Read 3584 times)

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
Milling Fox 35 Stunt Mounting Lugs.....
« on: February 05, 2021, 10:15:41 AM »
How do you guys fixture the engine in the milling machine to "true up" the mounting lugs on a Fox 35 Stunt?  Is the engine disassembled to do this?  Is a special fixture made to hold the crankcase?

Pictures of your setup and process would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Milling Fox 35 Stunt Mounting Lugs.....
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 11:07:41 AM »
How do you guys fixture the engine in the milling machine to "true up" the mounting lugs on a Fox 35 Stunt?  Is the engine disassembled to do this?  Is a special fixture made to hold the crankcase?

Who is doing that?!  Seems rather extreme.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 12:57:13 PM »
   Yeah, I think they all have a shallow draft angle to help get them out of the dies. When I had access to a mill, I used to just clamp them lightly but securely between the front bearing and the back plate surface with a soft block or aluminum plate. Then when you do the cutting, take it just a few thou at a time going from front to back, it doesn't take much. If you have a good set of files, and a steady hand and good eye, you can file it with out much effort. Just have a good mounting surface the right size to check how the engine sits on it. Most are not that far off, but the occasional one has some sort of error in it and when you tighten it down on a mount it flexes the case. If you throw in a mount that is not level and parallel, you are in bigger trouble. People were not aware of this back in the day. That is one reason why so many f the old engines you find have so little time on them and need breaking in. Not everyone was successful at this hobby back then and failed to stick with it or seek help, and no internet back then. If I ever get my garage squared away, I want to add a small table top mill just for proposes like these and for repairing welded up welded mounts.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 02:19:58 PM »
Lotta work to just to put a washer under the front holes.

The problem becomes what do you use for datums? If I was doing it I would build a fixture that first used a vertical plate with a hole that I would insert the end of the shaft through and tighten down on the thrust washer. That establishes x and y along the thrust line.

Next I would make some sort of block with a Destaco clamp to align z axis.  Use a mag mount dial indicator on the quill and check the flatness and coplanarity.

I think I would find that since Duke machined the pads all in the same setup they would be flat and parallel anyway, and all this would do is make sure they are aligned with the thrust line.

Once everything was good I'd take a skin cut, but you have to be careful since you want the mounting pads even with the shaft centerline.

Now that I'm done, it sounds like a great opportunity to screw up a perfectly good engine. Unless you're having a lot of premature failures of the crank bushing you won't see any performance change.

(Not to mention that unless what you're mounting to is flat and true you're only pissin' in the wind anyway.)

Chuck
AMA 76478

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 03:03:03 PM »

The problem becomes what do you use for datums? If I was doing it I would build a fixture that first used a vertical plate with a hole that I would insert the end of the shaft through and tighten down on the thrust washer. That establishes x and y along the thrust line.

Next I would make some sort of block with a Destaco clamp to align z axis.  Use a mag mount dial indicator on the quill and check the flatness and coplanarity.

I think I would find that since Duke machined the pads all in the same setup they would be flat and parallel anyway, and all this would do is make sure they are aligned with the thrust line.

Once everything was good I'd take a skin cut, but you have to be careful since you want the mounting pads even with the shaft centerline.

Now that I'm done, it sounds like a great opportunity to screw up a perfectly good engine. Unless you're having a lot of premature failures of the crank bushing you won't see any performance change.

(Not to mention that unless what you're mounting to is flat and true you're only pissin' in the wind anyway.)

Chuck

But they were not machined at the factory, at least not always. They were cast with a shallow draft angle to help get them released from the dies.  If the engine is dis-assembled, you can used the head surface to locate it level and clamp in a machine vise from front to back like I mentioned before.   Clamp just tight enough to hold steady and not distort things. Sweeping the mounts back front to back with a dial indicator can verify that they are level. Then the kiss cut you mentioned is all that is needed to make them flat. I've done them this way several times along with hand filing them when necessary May not be for everyone but has worked well for me.
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 04:42:50 PM »
Duke didn't machine the mounting lugs........

Chuck
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 04:43:32 PM »
Thanks!  I'll look for it....

I've done this many times. You bolt a block of metal to the top of the engine then clamp that in a vise.  Get your best compromise so you're not taking too much metal from one spot. The lugs are off in two planes twisted and bent so to speak. Use a milling bit with a 1/16th radius tip. The thrust line won't be off any amount that matters. There's a thread with pics in the speed section I did a while back on a Fox speed engine.

Motorman 8)
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 04:30:54 PM »
This was standard practice on Fox Combat Specials, particularly after we started mounting them on hard surfaces.  I think I mounted the cases like Motorman did. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 06:39:40 AM »
Yup...I noticed.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 07:50:24 AM »
Lauri,
This application is for the FOX Stunt speed event per St. Louis rules.  EXACT thrust alignment takes 2nd to a flat mounting lug/surface.

All good input though.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 01:55:41 PM »
Of course anything works, but I wouldn’tuse the cylinder bore as a reference. You know, in quality engines the shaft/bore perpendicularity is never 90°. In engines like Fox, it can be whatever for other kinds of (bad) quality reasons.
So the most logical way to clock it straight is to use shaft bore as I wrote earlier.
Certainly, if it’s easier, you can use the cylinder axis for mounting the workpiece but just don’t trust it’ll be straight like that. L

One of the reasons the Fox is probably so variable is because they did not machine the mounting lugs flat.
Without that as a reference point, all subsequent setups are suspect.

No doubt done to save cost of that single operation, but would have easily paid that back with better quality.
MAAC 8177

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 02:48:36 PM »
Thanks all for reminding me the lugs on the Fox are as-cast.  Still, other than perhaps longer sleeve bearing life I wouldn't expect any gains in performance. Give the clearance and the castor content - meh. Now, if you went into the sleeve bearing with a boring bar when no one was looking and cut a series of oil grooves about .005" deep every .100", just sayin'   ;).

Chuck
AMA 76478

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2021, 02:58:47 PM »
It’s allways a good practise to do things that make sense. In engine work it means that materials are good & correct, angles are correct, round things are round and flat things are flat, for example.
If that’s not the case you may have it working, but as Henry Nelson put it, you’ll never know if you made the right thing wrong or the wrong thing right😂
L

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2021, 04:50:47 PM »
It’s allways a good practise to do things that make sense. In engine work it means that materials are good & correct, angles are correct, round things are round and flat things are flat, for example.
If that’s not the case you may have it working, but as Henry Nelson put it, you’ll never know if you made the right thing wrong or the wrong thing right😂

So, then, TIG-weld the entire case into a solid block, then machine away everything that doesn't look like an Aero-Tiger 36?  And make a new crank, a new piston/liner, a new head, and re-use only the conrod, wristpin, and screws. Oops, don't use the screws either.

At some point, you have to wave the white flag and go plunk down $50 for a used 25LA. I am, however, well aware that this doesn't fit with "our" general approach to life.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 07:36:26 PM »
      So, then, TIG-weld the entire case into a solid block, then machine away everything that doesn't look like an Aero-Tiger 36?  And make a new crank, a new piston/liner, a new head, and re-use only the conrod, wristpin, and screws. Oops, don't use the screws either.

At some point, you have to wave the white flag and go plunk down $50 for a used 25LA. I am, however, well aware that this doesn't fit with "our" general approach to life.

Brett

Yeah, but this is an engine for a Fox .35 Speed Event model, so he has to use a Fox.35 stunt engine.  But whether it's for this event, or just a sport model, it's this draft angle that can get some people into some run problems. One of the reasons we picked this engine for this entry level speed event, is that there wasn't a whole lot you could do with the Fox .35 as far as machine work.  Duke designed the thing to as light as possible and there is just no metal there to even drill out the venturi very much to be of a whole lot of use and still hold a spray bar! It's amazing how much the case can flex. Hell! If you aren't careful tightening the head bolts you can put the engine in a bind!  The event was intended for guys to bring any model that had a Fox .35 in it, even a purpose built airplane, and try their hand at speed. I have observed on many, many models that I have helped people with that the motor mounts are not even and flat. Even if the Fox mounts were machined at the factory as soon as you bolt the engine down you put the piston in a bind, and it can get worse with the mounts as they come and I'm sure you are aware of that. It is easy enough to file them flat though if you have a good hard mounting surface that you can check them against as you work, and it's worth the 20 to 30 minutes it may take to do it because it will help make for more consistent runs.   When I mount a Fox in any model I check to see how it sits. If it doesn't look and feel right I fix the mounts in the model first if needed and then file the engine if I haven't already.
    type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 09:26:24 AM by Dan McEntee »
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2021, 05:39:11 AM »
So Dan, if I understand what you're saying - you purposely chose a stock, low tech, low performance motor to give everyone a level playing field and now you're espousing that people need to take their engines to a machine shop and modify them to be more competitive?

Seems to me a much better strategy given that Fox .35s are dirt cheap would be to buy a dozen of them and pick the one that runs best. I'm willing to bet that will give a better end result than milling the mounts.

YMMV, but I'd pick a good one and then spend my effort on the propeller, where I can likely make significant gains.

I can see it now, FoxBerg racing with a carbon fiber Shoestring and a balanced and blueprinted engine, flying monoline.

Chuck

AMA 76478

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2021, 09:24:46 AM »
So Dan, if I understand what you're saying - you purposely chose a stock, low tech, low performance motor to give everyone a level playing field and now you're espousing that people need to take their engines to a machine shop and modify them to be more competitive?

Seems to me a much better strategy given that Fox .35s are dirt cheap would be to buy a dozen of them and pick the one that runs best. I'm willing to bet that will give a better end result than milling the mounts.

YMMV, but I'd pick a good one and then spend my effort on the propeller, where I can likely make significant gains.

I can see it now, FoxBerg racing with a carbon fiber Shoestring and a balanced and blueprinted engine, flying monoline.

Chuck

Uh, no, you do NOT understand what I'm saying. Doesn't sound like you read my post at all!  I don't know how you could surmise what you posted out of what I wrote?

Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2021, 05:29:45 PM »
I used a simpler approach, needing no machine work.
Instead of removing material, I ADDED material.

1) Make a hardwood plate with a cutout for the Fox crankcase with a few thousandths extra width.

2) Check out the amount of space the draft adds. .015" for my example. I've done some engines where the draft angle was so great that the gap was around .025".

3) Cover the cutout with saran wrap - it's a release agent.

4) Clean the lugs with lacquer thinner and apply a small glob of JB Quik Weld.

5) Firmly place the engine lugs against the saran wrap and gently clamp them with clothespins or something similar.

6) When the JB is completely cured, grind off the access and drill out the four mounting holes.

I've used this method on a number of engines and it works perfectly.

Bob Z.

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2021, 09:07:35 PM »
Robert,
GREAT solution without milling!

Here's my setup. 3/8" thick by 1 3/4" wide aluminum plate with 6 qty .116" dia holes on a 1.095" dia bolt circle.  Clamped to my mini mill table.  Solid, no chatter setup.  I really didn't like clamping in a vise such a thin walled casting.  Took me 20 minutes to make the fixture, 5 minutes to draw the pattern in CAD.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2021, 09:31:08 PM »
My Brother Curtis works as a machinist and recently trued up a Fox 35 case. 
He used a tightly fit gauge pin and dialed off of that pin.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 10:08:07 PM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2021, 11:27:37 AM »
Seems like everyone is looking for complicated solutions to an easy problem.

I don't run Foxes.  If I did, I would simply take a couple swipes with a file on the maple motor mounts.

My building sequence starts by bolting the engine to maple mounts.  Then adding firewall, etc. while the engine is still bolted down.  That guarantees perfect fit between engine lugs and motor mounts.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2021, 11:41:07 AM »
Seems like everyone is looking for complicated solutions to an easy problem.

I don't run Foxes.  If I did, I would simply take a couple swipes with a file on the maple motor mounts.

My building sequence starts by bolting the engine to maple mounts.  Then adding firewall, etc. while the engine is still bolted down.  That guarantees perfect fit between engine lugs and motor mounts.

..and some are allways against the most logical solution that is best in the long run. Your solution works untill you want to change the engine.
And as I said earlier, the best solution is to use the shaft bushing as reference when you dial the case straight in mill. Cylinder head bolts are ok for securing the carter in machine, but don’t expect it to be straight right away. L

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2021, 02:46:04 AM »
I'd be interested in knowing what the gage pin Ø is and then mic the shaft.  Do that to several motors.

I'd also walk the crank over to the Studer, true it and drop it about .0015" and then take it over to the laser and put some spiral grooves on it. But then again, I have access to FUN toys to play with.
AMA 76478

Offline curtis williams

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2021, 12:18:03 AM »
I used what pin was tight, not sure it was the same one for each one i did.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2021, 11:21:52 AM »
I used what pin was tight, not sure it was the same one for each one i did.

It won't be...  Gauge pins are usually in .0001 increments, there might be 20 different ones that could fit.

Brett

Offline curtis williams

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2021, 12:54:42 PM »
Ok then check it with a long stem dial indicator.  I have a interapid indicator that is extra long.

Offline curtis williams

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2021, 01:04:35 PM »
Gage pins are in .001 increments.   Either sets of +.0002 or -.0002

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2021, 02:47:11 PM »
Maybe you’ll need a conical gauge pin..?😂
Why don’t you just turn a shoulder plug in both ends of hole, with a snug fit? The bigger ø being the same.
Or, clamp it between conical centres. L

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2021, 02:50:56 PM »
Gage pins are in .001 increments.   Either sets of +.0002 or -.0002

You can buy them in almost any size you want and they are usually .0002" but it depends on the class of the gage pin how many decimals they go out. I've seen them to 20 millionths.
AMA 76478

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2021, 04:51:32 PM »
. Your solution works untill you want to change the engine.

After flying with a Fox, why would anyone change to a different engine?  The Fox is the ultimate stunt engine, so what could be better?
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline curtis williams

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2021, 05:00:48 PM »
Not working for NASA,  + or - .001 is what I have.  Any improvement is better than what fox sent out the door as good.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2021, 02:31:04 PM »
Surprised that there is no mention of a radial mount since changing Fox 35 backplates seems so common.
This references the crankshaft bore and is got to be way more accurate than beam mounted lugs.
Chris.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2021, 02:59:06 PM »
After flying with a Fox, why would anyone change to a different engine?  The Fox is the ultimate stunt engine, so what could be better?
So what happens when you simply use another Fox on the day?
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2021, 08:43:57 PM »
Surprised that there is no mention of a radial mount since changing Fox 35 backplates seems so common.
This references the crankshaft bore and is got to be way more accurate than beam mounted lugs.
Chris.

The backplate is frequently out-of-plane with the crankshaft, sometimes far more off than the lugs. The lugs are usually straight with the crank, the problem (if it is one) is the casting draft.

Brett

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2021, 09:50:35 PM »
Hi Brett, I agree but at least you can reference the internal bore and at the very least you get a homogenous dead flat mount as opposed to two discreet lugs that without accurate milling could be anywhere.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2021, 10:29:22 PM »
Chris.

I'll bet that if you look through enough old magazines you might find that there may have been a radial mount back plate made for the .35 Stunt.  That is kind of a free flight power thing, and just may have never crossed over to control line.  I don't know this for sure, but I would be surprised if it had not been done. Free flight competitors are as much or more weight conscious than control line pilots, and a radial mount is a much cleaner mount. The Fox .35 is a pretty light engine, as it was intended, and you can save a few more grams by shaving the mounting lugs off.  I think using this engine is a free flight model is one reason the Top Flite 10-3 prop existed.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2021, 02:22:38 PM »
Hi Dan,
              Another benefit with using a radial mount is that the thrust line is easily changed on both the pitch and yaw axis.
Sometimes with speed models flying tangent to the circle is too much out thrust and it's good to have the ability to adjust this.
Cheers, Chris.
MAAA AUS 73427

Online Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2021, 11:01:57 AM »
Has anyone ever proven the theory that the case distorts at normal lug bolt down torques?

I flew Fox 35s for decades never giving this a thought. Just built the Ringmaster or whatever, bolted on a broke in engine, and went flying

I don't fly anymore so not motivated.  But seems easy to bolt a plate to top of cylinder and mount a dial gauge indicator and see when torqueing what, if any, increased distance is detected

I think Roberts J&B weld method is simplest for any engine.....if it is needed

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2021, 11:16:11 AM »
Has anyone ever proven the theory that the case distorts at normal lug bolt down torques?

I flew Fox 35s for decades never giving this a thought. Just built the Ringmaster or whatever, bolted on a broke in engine, and went flying

I don't fly anymore so not motivated.  But seems easy to bolt a plate to top of cylinder and mount a dial gauge indicator and see when torqueing what, if any, increased distance is detected

I think Roberts J&B weld method is simplest for any engine.....if it is needed

Did you read the reasoning above? It’s all been explained a couple of times.
I really don’t care about Foxes but what we discuss here is something that makes life easier when done right.
You can make it work also using methods that make no sense but then again, you’ll never know what you did right or wrong.
I like things that make sense.
Also, at crankcase temperature, JB-Weld is not really harder and more stable than the wooden motor mount. L

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2021, 01:52:57 PM »
As mentioned this is a Speed event that is formulated to use Fox 35's and, not knowing the exact rules, it's not hard to imagine a metal crutch or ' speed pan' being used that has many times the strength of the engines lower case.
So ask yourself, if there is any errors between the clamped surfaces which one would give way?
With a fixed engine choice blue printing becomes paramount and correcting alignment, however minor the errors is usually the only way forward.
Now as to a Ringmaster simply doing  roundy roundy circles with an old time stunt pattern you get away with a lot because misalignments are not critical but in a performance event you don't.
Chris.
MAAA AUS 73427

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here