News:

• April 30, 2024, 08:31:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Crankcase vs exhaust pressure vs uniflo?  (Read 4503 times)

Offline Terry Caron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Crankcase vs exhaust pressure vs uniflo?
« on: April 25, 2016, 02:03:52 PM »
what are the pros and cons of each for stunt?

Terry
NACA member, Huntsville, AL
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Crankcase vs exhaust pressure vs uniflo?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 02:08:39 PM »
I've never heard of anyone using crankcase pressure for stunt.

There's no reason that uniflow and exhaust pressure have to be mutually exclusive.

I recently followed a thread where someone mentioned that you should try all four combinations of exhaust pressure vs. atmospheric and uniflow vs. plain, then pick the best.

Most of my little plains run exhaust pressure into non-uniflow clunk tanks.  My "big" plane, OTOH, likes a uniflow without exhaust pressure best (OS 46LA, on a 700 square inch, 64 ounce plane).  This came as a surprise to me -- in fact, my flying buddy had to suggest trying it without exhaust pressure several times before I did.  I tried it just to shut him up, then was happily embarrassed to find out that it made a distinct improvement.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 02:44:40 PM »
the cons are you still have to do the same maneuvers over and over again LL~

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 02:48:36 PM »
the cons are you still have to do the same maneuvers over and over again LL~

You know, that's really unfair, Ken.  I judged at the Tune Up last weekend, and I have to say that people found a considerable number of ways to put variations into the maneuvers from what's written down in the rulebook.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 06:06:14 PM »
Terry,
For the 4-2-4 type run muffler pressure to the uniflow line is said by some to reduce the "up wind / down wind" rich/lean in higher winds. open uniflow usually provides a constant setting in low to moderate winds and with some engines like it better depending on the nitro % and mostly the particular tank. Crankcase pressure (CCP) was at one time popular for combat. For stunt with todays 2-2-2 run style using CCP to the uniflow it could work well and should all but eliminate the up wind/down wind variation for this type setup. The downside from the CCP is you need to have a way of pinching off the pressure line for starting.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 06:22:08 PM »
Thanks very much, Dennis, for the informative overview.
At the moment, just one question re: clamping the CCP line - for starting or for filling?

Terry
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 01:39:27 AM »
Thanks very much, Dennis, for the informative overview.
At the moment, just one question re: clamping the CCP line - for starting or for filling?

Terry

Both...A simple wire configuration operated by a plunger to the outside of the fuselage can work well.  Also a check valve in the pressure line simplifies the system but either way the pressure can become extreme and tends to increase needle sensitivity.

A number of folks, including me, tried this back in the 60's and 70's and gave up on it as an unnecessary complication that worked but was less reliable, run to run, A few, like me even tried using accumulators (tiny tank between the main tank and the needle valve) which also worked but not well enough to be worth the extra effort and reliability factor.  One thing that generally holds true in any engineering situation is "more parts" less reliability".

Most modern stunt engines that are specifically designed for stunt really do not need pressure, especially with a tuned pipe.  The pressure change from up wind to down wind in a stiff breeze is very real but can be overcome by simply running a line (fuel tubing) back into the fuselage out of the airstream.  Muffler pressure works to do just that as does pipe pressure and doesn't provide enough pressure to become a problem with needle sensitivity.

Typically I like muffler pressure with uniflo on side exhaust engines due to the simplicity of installation and the pressure thing discussed earlier.

On rear exhaust piped engines I prefer uniflo with no pressure and simply put the uniflo line out of the airstream and back into the engine tank area for high wind conditions.  Unless the wind is extreme my PA's and RO Jetts do not seem to be drastically affected by wind pressure difference when running on a pipe.  The pipe tends to regulate the peaks and valleys and make the engine less sensitive to pressure changes at the tank.

I'm sure there are other opinions but those are mine and definitely work in general!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 09:03:47 AM »
Thanks, Randy.
CCP isn't for me then, but your comments lead to some confusion for me.
You mention extreme pressure with CCP and I was under the impression that CC pressure was less than muffler pressure, so not so?
And 'though this must be a dumb question, when filling a 3-port tank on CCP, with the pressure line clamped and the feed line clamped how does the tank bleed air? Is a 4-port tank used?

Terry
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Online Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 06:24:58 PM »
Muffler pressure is somewhere around .1 or .2psi, depending on mainly outlet area. Untimed crankcase pressure (where the pressure tap just goes directly into the crankcase at some convenient point) is around 1.5psi which is why setting the needle starts to get a bit tricky. Timed crankcase pressure, which is controlled by the inlet port, is probably around 6psi.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 06:32:27 PM »
All induction systems use pressure.

Uniflow in its purest format tends to use only atmospheric pressure and would be the lowest in this class.

Muffler pressure would be the middle ground here.

Crankcase pressure would be the highest.

Obviously the uniflow plumbing can be used with any kind of pressure system but in my opinion 'having' to add pressure beyond the default of atmospheric means that you have issues with inadequacies elsewhere that should be dealt with firstly.

Cheers.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 06:34:39 PM »
Thanks, Brian - just another misconception on my part, but now I know.  ;)
And you're fight, of course, Chris - there's always some pressure from somewhere.

Terry
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 08:47:10 PM »
Thanks, Brian - just another misconception on my part, but now I know.  ;)
And you're fight, of course, Chris - there's always some pressure from somewhere.

Terry

There is substantial evidence (IOW, *actual measurements*) that crankcase pressure goes down with RPM in some cases - meaning a crankcase-pressure system is inherently unstable unless you are running right at the peak. I wouldn't even consider a crankcase pressure system for stunt - the extra pressure is unnecessary at the best of times and a source of trouble at the worst. It makes sense if you are trying to squeeze peak power with a giant venturi, but I assure you that if you can put a 61 in a stunt plane, you will not need to search for extra power.

Brett

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 09:29:19 PM »
Muffler pressure certainly does fix the rich/lean crap as the model goes up/downwind. But so does just putting a hose from the uniflow vent into a null area, such as the backplate cavity. I've done both. I didn't like pressure off the tuned pipe, but do like it off a tube muffler. Currently have one of the piped models setup with the "null" system. Not at all interested in ever using crankcase pressure again, timed or untimed.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 04:25:47 PM »
Terry,
If you try the crankcase pressure you would usually pinch the fuel line for starting to avoid flooding (every time you turn over the prop it squirts fuel if not pinched) although you could pinch the pressure line to do the same thing. Once it starts you unpinch and away you go. One thing that has not worked for me is to put a check valve in the pressure line. My experience with a check valve in either the muffler line or crankcase is that the pressure never stabilizes. It just keeps building and you keep getting richer through the flight.  Also to get the crankcase pressure to work you need to have the big venture in the engine. The combat engines that utilized crankcase pressure would have either a removable venture insert (i.e. the Fox 36x or Mark IV combat engine). If the venture is sized for normal suction the engine fights the needle as fuel is pushed from the tank and pulled from the venture causing a very touchy needle. Open it up and run a low pitch/high rpm setup and it should be OK. The crankcase pressure will eliminate the upwind/down wind rpm swing since it will be a rich 2 cycle.

Best,     DennisT

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 04:55:26 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, Dennis.
I was curious because I have an unmuffled ignition engine with a crankcase port (of sorts) that I thought, not knowing about CCP, might be useful but after my education here I don't plan on trying it.

And Steve - thanks for the null area vent tip - neat and simple.

Terry
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 06:02:20 PM »
Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons here, has anyone tried a mechanical pumped Heli or Pattern style fuel system?

It would seem to be the best if not overly complicated and heavy.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 11:16:38 PM »
Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons here, has anyone tried a mechanical pumped Heli or Pattern style fuel system?

It would seem to be the best if not overly complicated and heavy.

People have used pumps. Not much improvement on TP engines, and reportedly "too smooth" for 4-2 break engines. Although I would have probably preferred a pressure pump rather than the Perry displacement type.

Several people have also tried bladders with regulators, most famously Paul Walkers B-17. That's also were it was found that the pressure sometimes goes down with RPM in some ranges of operation, which is fatal to any crankcase-pressure referenced system.

Brett

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 03:17:30 PM »
I was curious because I have an unmuffled ignition engine with a crankcase port (of sorts) ........

Terry

Terry,
          Are you certain that this 'port of sorts' is indeed meant to be a pressure tap?
Some of the older sparkers had strange stuff on them including throttle ports separate to the fuel/ air intake. They were tuned to run flat out and then backed off with a controlled crankcase leak.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 03:56:53 PM by Chris Wilson »
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 03:33:55 PM »
In fact, Chris, it's for the tank mount screw, open to the intake rotor housing, therefore to the crankcase.
I have it plugged for external tank now.
Not knowing any better about CCP, I thought maybe it might sub for unavailable muffler pressure.
It's moot now, since I don't want to fiddle with CCP anyway.

Terry
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 09:01:21 PM »
The fundamental problem with crankcase pressure is that it is sensitive to combustion timing. Late or early ignition gives differend pulse to bottom end, via bypass channels. And also the exhaust system has its role. So, it is unstanle. L

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2016, 06:28:11 PM »
K&B 40 , a 1980 ish ringed baffle piston , light front end sucker , I ran in my M B 3  flying brick , as the G-51 sounded a bit odd on a 10 x 4 three blade

The Idea was to ' lock in ' the device , and keep it moving . Was flying in ' some wind ' - usually around 15 - 20 Knots at that time of year , up at
Whangaporoa - a Penisular they ran the Americas Cup a way out from . So was usually 15 - 25 . Theyed cancel it if it was over 30 . Though the
planes were usually the Folkerts , Straight Wing Spit , or the wee Phantom .

The M B 3 did the unbelievable . stayed on track . A outside loop , or inside from inverted I think youd be on full down ( or up ) and it'd hurtle round
with the 5 ft ( or was that 4 ) clearance of the deck . The Unbelievable bit was the Squares , as hitting the controls for the corners it hit the corners
fine & steady & consistant .Maybe it just felt like full control in the rounds - it pulled like a s.o.b. .

G -51 it'd get dragged about a bit - so the Idea was to go to the 10x4 3 Bl Tornado . This meant the K&B as it bolted in .

The power would come on and off , uphill & down - audibally . The PERRY PUMP steadied it up a bit ( tried it with and without ) .
But still essentially the same power characteristics . Just less of a switch - if you call it that . And naff all diferance in needle setting .

Was a home made ( carved ) nylon intake . I melted some lead into one of the backplates at some stage - months later I left it on a pot belly stove
to melt the lead out. Unfortunately it melted the backplate too . Sort of putt me off the suckers as I wondered if the case was that low a melting point too .

ANYWAY - the perry pump works o.k. , but you might need a larger intake to get the sensitivity for the 4/2 bit , Id think .

The rough Air bumping it around was the inspiration for the experiment . It tends to ' jump ' the fuel flow aroud a bit , and the power .
where its struggling uphill against a strong gust , you want to keep the fuel up to it . It seems to do that - so worthwhile there .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here