News:

• May 01, 2024, 01:57:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Merco 61, circa 1960's, dual plug, black head  (Read 840 times)

Offline Glen Wearden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Merco 61, circa 1960's, dual plug, black head
« on: July 24, 2009, 09:53:15 AM »
This is not CL, but I need advice from a Merco scholar.  I've got my 61 installed in an old restored trainer.  It has a Kavan carb, and I was able to make a muffler from my Tower Hobbies 46 fit beautifully.  I'm running Powermaster GMA 10/22(50-50 syn. and castor).  The plugs I'm using are OS A3's, and I'm running a Zinger 12-5 prop.  The engine starts easily, has a great idle, super transition from idle to wide open.  The trouble is that it won't hold a steady run at the high end.  It'll sag a bit, then pick back up, and although I didn't have a tach, it doesn't seem to be revving up as high as it should.  I think the engine is running hot, and there could be several causes. It may be over-propped, but I can't see where a 12-5 could be too much for a 61.  The engine may not like the back pressure from the muffler.  There may be a leak somewhere, but I can't find it.  BTW, I'm using a Hayes 12 0z. tank with muffler pressure.  I think my first option might be to run it w/o muffler pressure, but I don't see where muffler pressure would cause overheating.  The other thing I'm going to try is removing the baffle from the muffler.
There is another thing.  I've noticed that sometimes engines will run a lot better in the air than on the test stand, but I want it right on the ground before I put in in the air.  Am I on the right track?  Suggestions?
Glen Wearden

Offline George Waters

• Lieutenant
Re: Merco 61, circa 1960's, dual plug, black head
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 10:30:12 AM »
I have this same motor converted to controline use. I,m presently running a tongue muffler with 14 1/8 holes in it. I started with 8 and a .297 intake with a green filter on it. It sounds like you exhaust is too restricted causing the heating/surging problem. I'musing a 13x6 pro zinger thinned and pitched to 6 in center 6.5 at the tips. My suggestion would be open up the muffler and richen it up a bit and try it. Hope some of this helps.  George

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 11:06:51 AM »
Thanks a bunch, George.  I took the muffler apart and found that, apparently during a moment of "brilliance", I had sealed the baffle in with red silicone.  Well, the silicone had made a mess and was partially restricting the outlet.  Now the muffler is clean and the baffle has been consigned to the "stuff" pile.  Hopefully, that was the problem.  We'll see.  I do RC, and I like it.  But CL is sure simpler, and much more exciting.

Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 01:14:31 PM »
Glen - definitely NOT over propped. As George pointed out, it will comfortably swing a 13-6.
I have seen a number of these run and they seem to be quite powerful.

Bob Z.

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 08:29:36 AM »
I ran the engine, today, on the test table.  Taking the baffle out of the muffler made all the difference in the world.  The high end is stable, the engine transitions from the idle(which is really smooth, with no loading up), through all ranges very smoothly, with no stumbling.  A concern; though, is that it is only turning about 9800 at the top.  I'll probably need a long take-off run, but I can handle that.  I did notice a tiny bit  of seepage from the head gasket; that is probably bringing the power down, some.  I'll probably call MECOA and see if they can supply some head bolts and gaskets.  All-in-all, a good engine.

Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline George Waters

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 12:27:42 PM »
Glen I,ve never put a tach on mine but I was told that they are not a high rpm motor but have alot of torque. Try a12/6 or 7 prop on it. When mine launches the motor seems to gain a lot in the air.

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 01:33:38 PM »
Hi Glen,

I have several of the Merco engines and I never run them over 7800 rpm's. They do not like to run high rpm's. They will give you a lot of power at this rpm, if it not enough, you need to find a different engine. I use a 13/6 APC and 10/22 GMA fuel and the engine loves it. Treat her like a lady and she will purr for ya. Treat her wrong and she throw a fit, Gary

Interesting you state C/L is easier, we've had several R/C fliers join us and they decided it was to much work flying C/L, so they went back to R/C. ????????????????????????
Gary Anderson

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 02:44:23 PM »
I'm probably worrying too much about the RPM.   The engine will be pulling a big trainer, 72" flat bottom wing, square fuselage, etc.  Don't know what the weight is, but it seems heavy, as it has been rebuilt several times.  I bought the airplane with a Saito 56 in it for $75.  I sold the engine for more than I paid for the airplane.  I'm getting it ready for my grandson to learn on, so as long as I can get enough airspeed to get off the ground, fly around slowly, and land easily, I'll be happy.

Glen
Glen Wearden

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here