News:

• April 25, 2024, 11:43:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Merco 61  (Read 1505 times)

Online bob whitney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Merco 61
« on: March 21, 2018, 08:27:41 PM »
any one have any experience with the Merco 61 baffle piston engine??  how dose it compare to the S/T 60
rad racer

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: Merco 61
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 10:55:25 PM »
The Merco 49 on 15 or 20 % Nitro , once run in , will fly 70 Oz on at 70 Ft. .018 in a deep steady 4 stroke , on a 12 x 6 Master Wood . :)

Theyre said to be set up for No Nitro , or Low. So mmay need a few head gaskets . Needs a hour to free off, from new .
The big ugly S Tigre Silent Muffler dosnt drop the power , but'll snap the 6 B.A. exhaust stack bolts in hard squares .  >:(

Theyre a bit weighty . Van Den Haut ? etc used in the Olympus 7 others , the 49 ( think they thought that was big enough )
in the World Champs in the 70s .

My 49 was the one with the long backplate bolt lugs under through the case . some are short. early had No Muffler Lugs .
As Said, muffler bolts are 6 B.A. , British Thread .
A Correct Screwdriver fits the Head Bolts Correctly .
Holt very securely to free the Ex Stack Bolt & other two of that Tri spaced LONG set, they go down to the Case ,
other three just to fin flange .

The 49 Measured 130 Ex 1110 trans , timing .
The 61 I have is higher timed .
And needs a piston ring !ANYONE Got a Merco 61 Piston Ring ; PLEASE .

The INTAKE , Stock C/L , is like a NASCAR Flow Trumpet . or a Nelson 40 .

Thus :

Think youd find it usefull , might wanna loose 1/2 inch on the nose, during build.
Tom Dixon was the Merco Man in the U.S. ,
You can purloin appropriate stickers from the Barton site, Maybe Google Pics .

Ratshit military ones had no head fins . Target Drone .

Online Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 01:36:57 AM »
Hi all.
I used some of them for more than 10 years in stunt competition, both the 49-50 and the 61. Excellent stunt engines in the classic running type. Mostly used to fly a 67 oz. OD stunter, with great success.
Prop Zinger 12x6
Ground setting 8800 rpm, 9500 pointing up
Plug Sig RC long, Taylor long, Enya 3
Fuel: 12% castor, 12% synt. oil (Motul Micro and Klottz) 10% nitro.

I recommend th finish properly the flat surfaces of the semi- cases, because I experienced some leaks in some units (Quality is not the same in every engine I have had).

Best with Tom Dixon rework (they included a better ring and fits and some subtle changes in the ports flow) but the stocks ones work very well.
With the new beasts it will probably do his best in some classic model but in my personal opinion very competitive with a proper package.

And yes, a little overweight, I opted for short my stunter noses about 3/4" and put a tongue muffler.

Best rings I had were Bowman, I know he has sell the busines, so you can buy fresh and high quality rings for them.....

..... but if Briand Gardner decides to make a run of ABC PL for them......... #^ #^ #^

Kind regards.

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 06:06:51 AM »
They were a little weak in the power department. Good ring fits helped. And as others have mentioned they were a bit on the heavy side.

Only a few people over the years have asked me about doing an ABC set for them. Like usual if I get enough genuine requests I can make it happen.

any one have any experience with the Merco 61 baffle piston engine??  how dose it compare to the S/T 60

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 12:56:57 PM »
thanks for all the info ,all good stuff
rad racer

Offline Dave Royer

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 06:23:33 PM »
I love my big Mercos and Brian should consider this a genuine request for an ABC setup.

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 07:31:12 PM »
OK, I'll start a list and see if we get enough people for me to do a run of them.

I love my big Mercos and Brian should consider this a genuine request for an ABC setup.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here