News:

• April 18, 2024, 08:25:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MECOA Veco K&B .61 head gasket  (Read 1017 times)

Offline DTF

• clguru
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
MECOA Veco K&B .61 head gasket
« on: May 23, 2021, 11:47:21 AM »
I have two K&B .61 engines from MECOA. Both engines have no compression and no head shim. The bore is .945.
Is there supposed to be a head gasket on these engines? The head just sits on top of the sleeve and leaks by.
Thanks for your input!!!

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: MECOA Veco K&B .61 head gasket
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 11:59:58 AM »
            K&B and MECOA offered two versions of this engine. One was the ringed .61 and the ABC version known as the twister head. The ringed version has head fins on top while the Twister head doesn't, it has two holes for a pin spanner. I own two ringed versions and I love using them as they're good power , extremely reliable and are just plain simple to use. I never had mine apart but I will say that according to the exploded view, it shows no head gasket. K&B did this also with the Sportster series engines where no gaskets were used. Is your ring possibly stuck? They don't offer too much compression initially until they get a bit of oil on them. These are not Dykes ringed engines but they feel similar when flipped over.

Offline DTF

• clguru
  • New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 01:18:16 PM »
They just have almost no compression. When you flip the prop it just fizzles by like there is a loose glow plug.
I may have to polish up the mating surfaces to get a better seal
I do see castor leaking from between the head and cylinder liner when running on the test stand.

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 01:45:05 PM »
Your .61 might have a Dykes ring , typically they have very little compression when checking by hand but they run well.  **Looking through the 61 info on the MECOA site, it looks unlikely yours is a Dykes ring engine.  I think someone already said, they usually get better after some running in.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 02:10:41 PM by George Truett »

Offline DTF

• clguru
  • New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 05:05:36 PM »
I used .002 aluminum duct tape on top of the liner and torqued the head nice and tight. The engine now starts easily and runs happy in my test stand. Also it has nice poppy compression. It is just about equivalent to a Supertiger 60 in the way it runs. MECOA sell these at a great price, but you need to do some work to them first.
Looks like a good ending to the story.

Offline DTF

• clguru
  • New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 09:38:19 AM »
just flew my new plane with the Veco .61 with head shim mods. it finally started easily and behaved well during flight.
if anyone has one of these MECOA motors, I hope you will implement this
idea, it seemed to work for me so far.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here