News:

• April 17, 2024, 10:29:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: McGas 40 engine  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
McGas 40 engine
« on: August 12, 2019, 10:29:18 AM »

Does anyone have any info on this engine that you can share?  Seems that Geo Aldrich put these engines together and I would like to find one..  Thanks  a lot
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: McGas 40 engine
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 11:43:51 PM »
Legs 'n Boots,

Since no one else has responded....

I have a vague recollection that the McGas was a hybrid of McCoy and Fox(?) parts, or maybe two different era McCoys?  I must have read about it in a long-ago Stunt News. Not sure how to search for that.

Sounds like you need to check with one of the MECA guys. They live for the oddball stuff....

The Divot

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 06:50:21 AM »

Thanks Dave... H^^
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 10:51:34 AM »
Tiny bit of info here with pics:  https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1402733-Vintage-Glow-Engines/page596
The Ebay listing for the one auctioned is long gone.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 05:04:30 PM »
Does anyone have any info on this engine that you can share?  Seems that Geo Aldrich put these engines together and I would like to find one..  Thanks  a lot

Those are  rebuilt  McCoys,  I have  4 of them here  that george  did, some were chrome sleeves,  1 or 2 were  chromed  crnks

Mine were 35s  but they would be the  same thing
You would just need someone  that wanted  to sale  their  40

Randy

Offline Michael Reed

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 09:58:55 PM »
Glad I found this thread.

I've been working on making a couple of hybrid .40s.

1) The series 21 pistons fit in the lightning bolt .40 cylinders really well so I bought a couple .40 pistons and rings from MECOA but I also got a ring from Bjorn Ball. My question is, Is it better to use the series 21 cylinder head or will the old McCoy Red/Blue heads work?

2) The other older McCoy .40 I have to use is an older non-lightning bolt case. So I will either have to find a LB cylinder, or bore the case slightly to use a series 21 cylinder. Which I gotta tell you is not all that fun as either head bolt pattern has to be modified. I did this to a .35 RedHead and was a PIA. I also did a .29 RedHead but the series 21 cylinder drops right in so I only had to fit the RedHead to the S21 cylinder. Again PIA. I've got a rotary table now so it should be a little easier though.

3) What is the best venturi inlet diameter should I be using for these Hybrids? Does the height of the venturi matter? I have a Super Tigre style needle valve but the venturi is I think from an OS .35S. I still need to turn it down a little to fit the McCoy but if its the wrong to use I wont bother and will just make an entire new one out of Delrin.

I've included some pics;

- two are of the Lightning bolt crankcase. The piston fits perfectly but you have to use the series 21 conrod.
- next are the .35 RedHead I fitted with the series 21 cylinder and the boring setup. Its got an ST style needle and a Bjorn Ball ring. I've got some newer Sherline equipment now though.
- and lastly, some pics of the older McCoy 40 crankcase and parts. I will need to fit the Series 21 cylinder but interested in what cylinder head to use.
- I also included a few pics of another McCoy series 21 project I'm working on.

EDIT: It wont allow me to attach more than a couple pics so I'll have to put them in another post.

Thanks,
Mike

Offline Michael Reed

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 10:25:27 PM »
The McCoy .35 RedHead Hybrid and the older McCoy .40 crankcase project pics;

Offline Michael Reed

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 10:31:36 PM »
McCoy series 21 Inline Twin project;

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 11:03:02 PM »
Michael,

Those look like fun projects! Sounds like you have the equipment to get some significant mods done, too. I can't answer any of your questions, but you might find some useful information by talking to Dave Braun. He has been modifying Mickeys for fun. I flew one of his engines last year. It was a "backwards McCoy Redhead" if I remember right. He turned it into a rear rotor with reverse rotation by doing a bit of machine work on some spare parts and bolting the whole deal back together. It ran just fine. He has also built a number of twins. I'm hoping he gets a flying testbed airplane put together so we can try them all out. The in-lines and the opposed configurations.

PM me if you want to give him a call.

Dave

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 01:43:50 PM »
The McCoy .40 became quite popular in the late 1960's as it could put a larger model that the Fox .35. Also they were easy to get the run people wanted back then. There was one big problem that they wore out the piston sleeve rather fast. If you wanted to practice a lot you need spare motors with you. George wanted to improve the life on these motors and maybe get more power out of them. He did chrome sleeves and did make some new pistons also. Larry Barikman in Orlando had two of them and they did not last long. They got hard to start,low compression. He wanted George to redo the motors  but they never got together on it. A ST/40 went in the plane after that.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here