News:

• April 25, 2024, 06:20:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: McCoy Engine Restoration  (Read 2863 times)

Offline Redtail

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
McCoy Engine Restoration
« on: August 10, 2019, 07:37:16 PM »
Hey guys, RC flyer getting back into controline.  Very happy about it.  Currently in possession of a McCoy 29 Redhead and looking to purchase another McCoy 29 Redhead to use in a B-25 profile from Brodak.  I am looking for someone I can send the 29 I have, for them to look over and if needed repair.  I also want to purchase a good 29 possibly from the same person.  Can anyone help me or direct me to the right source.  Many thanks.    Chic

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: McCoy Engine Restoration
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 04:40:23 AM »

Redtail, A few years ago I sent several Mc Coy .35's to a person that rebuilds and restores Mc Coy engines by the name of Chellie Romo. She does fantastic work. I sent a basket case .35 to her and it returned better than new. She has several videos on You Tube and was also known as " verysassyblond" on ebay. My engines all returned in excellent condition and were all run in by her before shipping them back to me. I'm not sure if she is still around, but worth checking out if you are serious about using those Mc Coy engines.....Gene

Offline Redtail

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 10:10:28 AM »
Gene - Just spoke with her.  She is no longer restoring engines, instead she is selling gaskets only.  I sent her two Mccoy 35s to work on and I agree, they came back strong.  Still at a loss.  Thanks Gene.    Chic

Offline George Albo

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 10:39:03 AM »
Hey guys, RC flyer getting back into controline.  Very happy about it.  Currently in possession of a McCoy 29 Redhead and looking to purchase another McCoy 29 Redhead to use in a B-25 profile from Brodak.  I am looking for someone I can send the 29 I have, for them to look over and if needed repair.  I also want to purchase a good 29 possibly from the same person.  Can anyone help me or direct me to the right source.  Many thanks.    Chic

The restoration of the McCoys is discussed on Hippocketaeronautics: https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=19088.0

Here's the  exchange between members about the work that was done on the McCoy by Chellie Romo

Hip Pocket Builders' Forum
Control Line Forum => Engines for Control Line Aircraft => Topic started by: ghostler on May 03, 2015, 04:04:13 PM

Title: Testors McCoy 19-40 Red/Blue Head Engine Restoring Tips
Post by: ghostler on May 03, 2015, 04:04:13 PM
With permission of Chellie Romo, known for her infamous well fitting and sealing McCoy modern materials gasket kits with nylon crank throw spacers as E-Bay seller verysassyblond, I am reposting her tips she posted today in http://www.coxengineforum.com/t7795p40-evo-40-46-remote-nva-fits-mccoy-35-red-head (http://www.coxengineforum.com/t7795p40-evo-40-46-remote-nva-fits-mccoy-35-red-head). (Please note, although I have purchased her gaskets for my McCoy engines and consider them of exceptional quality, I am not promoting her products. I have always wondered upon the insider secrets on how to restore these engines. What she has posted explains in a nutshell stuff I have heard bits and pieces of over the past several years. Her's is one of the best so far.)

A Few Tips I have learned on Restoring the 19 to 40 Red/Blue Head McCoy Engines
Post CHELLIE Today at 4:23 am

Hi Everyone :) I just wanted to pass on a few tips I have learned on working with the McCoy Engines:

1. The head has a recess where the head gasket goes, remove the gasket from the head with a T Pin or sharp instrument.

2. Use Bright Red VHT Paint for the Head, it won't discolor. Do an EBay search, VHT Paint High-Temperature Engine Enamel Gloss Bright Red 11 oz Spray.

3. Use a Dremel tool with a Stainless steel wire brush to polish the engine case with; it will also clean heavy deposits off the cyl.

4. To resize the Crankcase bushing / case use a 7/16"-20 Tap, this wont remove any metal, but it will knurl the bushing back to its original size.

5. Polish the Piston and inside the Cylinder with 1000 grit sand paper, wet/dry. If the cyl has a scratch in it, sand the scratch with 1000 [grit] sand paper to remove the metal that has lifted up along the scratch mark. Don't try to remove the scratch, the lifted up metal will prevent good compression from happening. It causes the piston to be held away from the cylinder, one big cause of poor compression on the McCoy engines.

6. To expand the piston, remove the piston from the rod. Lay the piston on a flat piece of solid metal. Lay the cylinder over the piston, top side up on the piston and cylinder. Tap the top of the piston with a brass 1/4" punch not to hard. Don't tap on the piston divider [piston baffle], but just keep tapping and checking the piston fit.

The 19 and 29 engines may need to have the piston heated up with a propane torch to soften them up a little to expand easier.

If the piston fit is a tad too tight, use some tooth paste and oil and lap the piston in. Replace the rod on the piston, hold the cylinder with a leather glove. Use a Philip screw driver in the rod end to hold onto the piston while lapping in. Lap the piston until it takes a little force to push the piston out of the top of the cylinder. Remove all debris from the cylinder so its smooth inside. You will notice a 3/16" shiny band on top of the piston after it has been resized and broken in, that's your new sealing surface. :)

An expanded piston will normally last for 2 flying seasons, then it will have to be resized again. The reason this works is because the top of the piston is Domed, and your compressing the Dome back down to expand the piston top, travel at your own Risk, but it works great for me. :)

7. Use a hot glow plug with a idle bar for smooth performance and easy starting.

8. A scotch bright pad works great to clean the inside of the cylinder of gum.

9. I made a cylinder holder that I can push into the cylinder and mount it to a drill press, i use some folded paper to clean inside the the cylinder fins with, and use a small wire brush to clean the outside of the cylinder while spinning it on the drill press.

10. I use the plastic end of a screw driver to tap the head and cylinder to get them apart, be careful not to break any fins on the head.

Hope this info helps to restore your McCoy Engines, Take care, Chellie

Title: Re: Testors McCoy 19-40 Red/Blue Head Engine Restoring Tips
Post by: DaddyO on March 16, 2017, 09:39:57 AM
Useful - thinking of buying an old 29 or 35 McCoy (Coz I like the look of them) for  vintage C/L model

Cheers
Paul

Post by: ghostler on March 25, 2017, 09:04:41 AM
Personally I like them, because they seem to run smoother with less vibration than the old Foxes. Because the pistons are made of softer iron than the Mehanite iron alloy of the Enya, Foxes & K&B's, they don't tolerate lean runs well. In CL, since the norm is running rich in a 4 cycle that breaks into 2 when stunting overcomes that. The later lightning bolt versions (has image on the intake bypass of the engine) came with chromed pistons, which overcame the problem. I heard that some of the later blue head RC versions came with chromed pistons, too.

There were years that the quality control was spotty and it was possible for one to acquire an engine that did not have a good compression seal.

So far, all my McCoys of the softer piston non-chrome variant came with good piston seals, got several .35's and one .19.

I use standard 15% nitro RC fuel (because that is the least expensive in my area, in US nitro fuel is readily available) and boost oil content from 18% with 2% Castor with a pint of Castrol Racing Castor available at a few motorcycle shops catering to 2 cycle dirt bikes. That boosts oil content to 25% with about 10% Castor.

Had a few naysayers tell me to dump the McCoys and get something better, but so far they run well for me on my CL aircraft. I  gather there is much folklore in aircraft engine philosophy, just as much in motorcycles. I've learned to do what works for me, and enjoy the hobby and ignore the background noises.  :D

Got two of my .35's converted to rear needle valve. The Evolution .46 RNV fits the back crankcase cover bolt pattern perfectly, use a 2-56 bolt to blank off the needle valve end of the spray bar, and longer bolts to accommodate the thickness of the RNV mount. The RNV has a fine thread, making adjustments a pleasure. (Did it because I was missing a factory needle.) However, there's nothing wrong with the factory needle and for vintage and nostalgia CL one would want to retain the original NV set up.  :)

Post by: DaddyO on March 25, 2017, 11:11:11 AM
Many thanks for the additional suggestions George. I'll keep my eye open for one at the local swapmeets and fleabay (I've already cut a kit of parts out for the Boxcar Chief which didn't take long so once I've an engine sorted I'll put it together)
Cheers
Paul

George Albo
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 10:59:25 AM by George Albo »
Darkness is dispelled with acts of kindness and selfless good deeds.

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 06:21:13 AM »
Scott Riese used to work on McCoys. He’s a member here. Send him a PM.

Edit:
I just looked on his profile, last active in October 2017. I hope all is well.
Maybe try his email? riese5080@comcast.net
I have seen the light, and it’s powered by a lipo.

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 06:36:16 AM »
Scott Riese used to work on McCoys. He’s a member here. Send him a PM.

Edit:
I just looked on his profile, last active in October 2017. I hope all is well.
Maybe try his email? riese5080@comcast.net

I exchanged emails with Scott back in 2016 about muffs. He said it's best to contact by personal email because he doesn't come to forums often.
Bill P.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 05:10:14 PM »
            There can be many issues with these engines. I have seen many rods in which  the upper and lower section aren't parallel. This causes the rod to jump fore and aft on the crank pin. While the bushing on the back keeps it stationary from moving back too far, it can cause a bind. The wrist pins wear out the holes in the piston and the brass end pads cut grooves into the cylinder walls. The hole through the piston sometimes aren't perpendicular to the piston which also causes issues with the rod jumping and egging everything out. Opening the backplate and slowly turning over with a prop at TDC will quickly reveal most slop in the parts I have mentioned.

If one is serious about making the engine work properly, a wire wheel, spraypaint, hitting the piston with a hammer isn't going to resolve issues I've mentioned. I believe it may have been Jim Lee who was at one time offering Delrin end pads for the brass ones which would be a huge improvement assuming the grooves aren't already cut in the liner.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 05:23:07 PM »
I can see we are now in for another round of people hitting pistons with hammers.

Brett

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 11:55:57 PM »
[quote

4. To resize the Crankcase bushing / case use a 7/16"-20 Tap, this wont remove any metal, but it will knurl the bushing back to its original size.

Hmm.. L

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 12:05:06 AM »

Hmm.. L

Precision devices these ain't.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 12:14:52 PM »
[quote

Hmm.. L

a Proper  way to do that would be  to  chrome the  crank, finish it , then fit the slightly oversize crank back into the case bushing, or press in a  new  bronze bushing
The  BIG  problem  with refurbing McCoys  is  the  piston wrist pin hole, They get oblong, and are subject to a lot of wear, These are perhaps the most problematic pieces of the engine

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here