News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:17:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cleaning electric starter rubber cones  (Read 732 times)

Offline Matt Curtis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Cleaning electric starter rubber cones
« on: May 21, 2023, 12:04:15 AM »
what is the best way to clean the rubber insert on an electric starter when it wont grip the spinner  or the spinner nut anymore?  I have a fairly new one that just slides around no matter what.

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Cleaning electric starter rubber cones
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 02:31:11 PM »
Matt

What works for me is an alcohol wipe down and then course sandpaper. The dark stain will remain even after the alcohol. I rub the 60 grit sandpaper in the longitudinal (in and out) direction for a good grip on the spinner. The same treatment works on the spinner if you’re not concerned with how it looks.

Dave Mo…
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2023, 09:10:30 PM »
  Naphtha on both surfaces.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Matt Curtis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2023, 09:55:43 PM »
Will try these things. I tried cleaning with dawn soap did not work.  Also tried wiping down with rosonal which is similar to naptha.  I do have some naptha as well. Will try the coarse sandpaper as well.  When i use up the naptha i have i cannot buy it at a store as it is not sold at any store in denver. Dont want to mail order naptha?

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2023, 11:10:44 PM »
Jeez, I'd think any paint store, Lowe's or Home Depot would have Naptha. It's that easy to get here in WA.

Two things I'd point out. 1) A needle nose or "Ultra" style spinner gives more traction with more surface area being gripped. 2) Sullivan/Pylon offers quite a variety of cone shapes and materials...most seldom seen at the LHS. Probably not helpful if you're not using a Sullivan starter, but one of the reasons I do.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 05:56:41 AM »
If you can't get naptha, just use lighter fluid.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 07:50:45 AM »
   I was delirious with drugs when I answered the first time, and I forgot to add to spend the extra money for the best rubber cone Sullivan makes. They have 4 or 5 I think, and the pink one seems to have the best overall shape, and is nice and soft so it grabs any surface better. I think they are 10 or 12 bucks but worth it and if you don't loose it, you will never need another one.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Matt Curtis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 04:58:40 PM »
The other problem i am having is the starter does not fit my spinner nut. Even if it is perfectly clean i think i need a different type of rubber insert?

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 06:19:30 PM »
The other problem i am having is the starter does not fit my spinner nut. Even if it is perfectly clean i think i need a different type of rubber insert?

Matt, did you rea my last replay?? What comes with most starters is your least favorable option. Look at the others that Sullivan has to offer, especially the pink one.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2023, 03:00:43 PM »
Matt

If the prop is held on only by a nut (no spinner), then a driver that grips the prop is needed. They’re hard to find and can show up at swap meets occasionally.

Dave Mo…
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline Matt Curtis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2023, 07:24:47 AM »
Should work now.  Problems were cone dirty and low starting battery.  Went back to using lawn mower battery which has longer run time. Other battery was low and starter would bog down when you push it into engine to get it to grip. 

Offline George Fruhling

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2023, 11:37:24 PM »
Matt

What works for me is an alcohol wipe down and then course sandpaper. The dark stain will remain even after the alcohol. I rub the 60 grit sandpaper in the longitudinal (in and out) direction for a good grip on the spinner. The same treatment works on the spinner if you’re not concerned with how it looks.

Dave Mo…

Sounds promising.  Alcohol to take off the oil and sandpaper to knock of the glaze and provide grip.  Any suggestions on how to ditch the "Moon Shadow" that's following me?

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here