News:

• April 30, 2024, 03:36:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Holding a needle-valve setting  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Christopher Root

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Holding a needle-valve setting
« on: December 22, 2018, 09:25:23 AM »
Hello!

I am running a .11 Gilbert Thunderhead.  10% nitro 25% castor oil.  It 4-strokes steadily at around 6500-7000 RPM, and two-strokes up to 11,000 RPM.  It does not hold the needle valve setting well at the low end, i.e. 6500 RPM.  Is this due to the 10% nitro, or inherent to the type of engine?

C R

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
Re: Holding a needle-valve setting
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 09:42:55 AM »
Yeah it really purs along nicely in 4-stroke, when it can hold the setting.  I would hate to burn up the motor screaming along at 11,000 RPM the whole time.  Maybe 15% nitro would do the trick?

C R

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 12:43:05 PM »
Hello!

I am running a .11 Gilbert Thunderhead.  10% nitro 25% castor oil.  It 4-strokes steadily at around 6500-7000 RPM, and two-strokes up to 11,000 RPM.  It does not hold the needle valve setting well at the low end, i.e. 6500 RPM.  Is this due to the 10% nitro, or inherent to the type of engine?

This is not in any way surprising, engines are not designed to run correctly when needled rich to the point of stopping. Particularly on an .11 on 10% nitro. They are two-stroke engines, they are designed to run in a two, not a four - just like all the other engines we normally talk about. Some *will* run in a 4-stroke and can be made to operate reliably that way, but that is not how it was designed and certainly not how a Gilbert 11 was designed

If you want it to run smoothly at 6500 rpm for some reason, you might have to reduce the venturi choke area so it will 2-stroke at the desired rpm. Or get a smaller engine (like an 049) that will spin the prop you want to use at the desired rpm.  It will almost certainly work better on higher nitro fuel. Uneven running also comes from leaks, typically air leaks around the needle valve, which may not be easy to solve.

Brett

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 01:08:53 PM »
Thank you!  So what is the proper approach?  Set it for a wet 2-cycle and forget it?  I am running a 7x3 prop

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 01:19:21 PM »
Thank you!  So what is the proper approach?  Set it for a wet 2-cycle and forget it?  I am running a 7x3 prop

Why do you want to run it at 6500 rpm? Is the airplane too fast? Going from 11000 and 6500 is dropping the power by around a factor of 5, that suggests the engine is far too large for the airplane.

A Gilbert 11 is not a particularly high-quality engine, and I would guess it's going to wear out pretty quickly compared to something like an Enya 09 or OS 10FP or Cox Medallion 09. I don't see it "burning up" with a proper 2-stroke setting, unless the design is defective to begin with.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 01:22:28 PM »
   A lot of what I can offer is from memory after reading other experiences with the Gilbert engines. First thing to remember, is that these were made at a different time for a different purpose, and the quality of the product is not what you may be used to if all of your experience is with modern stuff. If I remember correctly, the glow heads on these are not the best quality. Soft as butter and easy to tweak and strip. Watch the torque when tightening. Make sure you have a good seal at the head gasket. Needle valves were hit and miss. Old engines sometimes leak a lot of air around the threads, so try the old fuel line over the threads trick. Check the fit of the spray bar in the venturi and seal it if you suspect a bad fit.  Watch that you do not over prop it. Nitro content has already been mentioned. I believe these were made by Fox for Gilbert and if you compare the old small bore Fox engines to them you can see the resemblance. Do a specific search in the engine and 1/A sections of the forum,  the Cox Engine Forum, and yahoo has a small model engine forum. it is in one of these that I read what I presented here. Just don't expect a lot from the little boogers. Ost IO have ever heard of was guys bench running them, but I don't think I have ever read where anyone ever flew a model with one on board.
  Type at you later and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 04:11:28 PM »
The Gilbert 11 had three different needle valve types during it's production. One has a two piece spray bar arrangement that could cause erratic needle settings, because the needle can vibrate due to vibration. Look down the intake tube, and the needle will be visible on the two piece spray bar setup. Highly recommend you change that to a one piece spray bar assembly, which should be available here,  or on eBay.

My Gilbert 11 engines ran fine on the bench, but I always swapped those two piece spray bars, for a single piece unit. The two piece spray bar allowed noticeable rpm changes when just touched during attempts to adjust. The engines were usually one flip starters, and surprised a few of my flying friends at the field.

Highly recommend that you use a Ni-Cad glow driver, as dry cells, and 2 volt wet cells, may burn out the old Gilbert glow heads, and especially on original Gilbert 07 heads. Dan Sitter on eBay had some of the 07 heads reworked with new glow elements and they worked fine. He may still have some in stock.

Always wanted to fly one of my Gilbert 11 engines, but never got around to building a suitable airplane. I thought they looked pretty neat with the original mufflers attached.

Tank placement can also be a problem, as fuel will siphon from the tank while sitting, if the fuel level is almost anywhere above the spray bar! I would have used a tail dragger design to minimize that problem.

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 05:57:47 PM »
Yeah  I’m not necessarily committed to 6500 RPM as a fixed number.  I was only under the impression that I was supposed to set C/L engines at 4-cycle prior to launch, then letting the plane 2-cycle in maneuvers,

C R

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 06:00:11 PM »
P.S I did drill out the glow head to accept standard short glow plugs.  That part at least works nicely!!

C R

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 06:08:25 PM »
Yeah  I’m not necessarily committed to 6500 RPM as a fixed number.  I was only under the impression that I was supposed to set C/L engines at 4-cycle prior to launch, then letting the plane 2-cycle in maneuvers,

C R

If everything in your fuel system is air tight and correct, you engine run should richen up a bit when it is in the air and at speed. When the model is in the air, and centrifugal force starts taking effect on the fuel load, it will increase the pressure on the fuel going up the line to the engine and make it richer. Or it may stay the same, depending on things. If you launch a C/L model in a rich four stroke and it goes lean and into a two stroke, something is not correct.
   And as far as glow plugs, you may want to experiment with brands, and maybe even a long reach with some thin shims to find the sweat spot for the plug. I would make sure you are using a hot range plug also.

Type at you later and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
      Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 07:00:18 PM »
Buddy of mine put one of the small profile Shoestring Goodyear.

That thing was a blast to fly and just sounded awesome with that strange dual exhaust.

I have one brand new that I want to stick on a Buster I started forever ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 08:08:32 PM »

That's probably not a realistic approach, and in any case, if you managed it, it would be going *much faster* than 6500 in the air even in a 4-stroke. If your airplane it going too fast when you launch it at 6500 RPM, it's far too small. Typically for these sort of very small engines, you end up more-or-less running a conventional setting and need all the power you can get.

Some CL stunt engines will work the way you are describing, but not likely this one, and in any case, 4-2 breaks as you are attempting have not been a mainstream approach for over 30 years now - and have been causing people to get frustrated when they couldn't manage it for a lot longer than that. It's almost certainly not going to work well on a Gilbert 11.

BASIC ENGINE OPERATIONS: But since there is so much "stunt lore" AKA bullshit floating around about "stunt runs", the standard way that virtually all production 2-stroke engines are intended to be set and run is:

Start the engine
   lean the engine out into a 2-stroke
   slowly lean it out until the engine reaches maximum RPM and a even a little more lean causes the RPM to drop audibly
   Richen the engine back to peak RPM - this process finds the "ideal" mixture
   richen the engine very slightly to the richest setting that keeps the rpm audibly the same or *very slightly* drops

This will put the engine in a 2-stroke at near the ideal mixture. *This is the way the engines are designed to run* and probably exactly what the instructions that came with the engine say to do, and provides the maximum power - *which is what is is designed to do*. Not just a Glibert 11 - virtually all of them. 

If it won't hold a setting on the ground using the *manufacturer* recommended prop, it probably has not been broken in enough and may start to "sag", which can be recovered by opening the needle slightly. That means it needs to run more.

It may not ever be able to hold its setting with not-recommended (larger) props, which means that you have to run it richer than intended on purpose. This means you are generating much less power than designed, and very likely that the choke area of the venturi supplied with the engine will need to be somehow reduced in order to support running at much less than the designed power levels.

BASIC ENGINE THEORY (functional):  Power, when swinging a propellor and to first approximation,  goes with the cube (3rd power) of the RPM, so the power difference between your examples is a factor of 4.84  - 1/5th the power. Since the engine is effectively a self-powered air pump, that means that about 1/5th the amount of fuel/air is being burned for power. Running rich makes it ineffective but figure you are running maybe 1/2 the air through it at 6500 rather than 11000. That means the fuel draw pressure is also around half, you have the same thick fuel, so it's straining to get the fuel out. That's why it doesn't like running that slow and doesn't run smoothly. Not to mention that it was never intended to run in a 4-stroke in the first place and is running vastly cooler than intended.

You can probably get it running much more smoothly at low rpm by reducing the venturi choke area drastically (maybe 4.84 times smaller) which will vastly increase the fuel draw, however, then it will want to be running an ideal mixture, just much less of it.  RC engines do this, it's called a throttle, and its contained in a carburetor, they have no problem running smoothly at 2000 rpm. 

This suggests an approach for CL - change the venturi diameter when you want to change the power level, and then adjust *slightly* around there with the needle. NOT - run the same venturi that was intended for 5x the power and try to tweak the needle. The needle is not a throttle.

Brett

« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 10:18:15 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 10:28:01 PM »
Attached is the starting/running instructions for the Gilbert Thunderhead .11 engine

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 03:32:17 AM »
Hello
I have run a Gilbert Thunderhead for many years on a Airsail Sportman trainer and it has many hours of flying on it, having trained many new pilots. A second Sportsman built in the 1970's has a Cox 09 Medallion on it . Both motors have mufflers and produce similar power and needle and handle similar BUT the Gilbert loves to run backwards if starting rich (side port feature here) so have always used an electric start on it with a big plastic spinner. I have been surprised how long both the Cox and Gilbert have lasted training newbies to our club as they have not had an easy life.
Regards Gerald

PS in the picture with my wife Alina , she is teaching a 2 year old newbie (Xavia) to fly a Sportsman. He was too short for me to help without stuffing my back!

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 12:27:51 PM »
Thank you all!  That is very helpful!  Probably saved me 2-3 years of making mistakes with my engines on the test bench!

C R

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here