News:

• April 17, 2024, 08:16:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: McCoy 29 Red Head rear-intake parts  (Read 451 times)

Online Brett Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
McCoy 29 Red Head rear-intake parts
« on: December 11, 2022, 06:46:49 PM »
  Gentlemen - I am trying to acquire parts to restore my dad's McCoy 35 29 Red-Head. It is mostly-complete but I need a needle valve, and the prop nut and washer. The prop nut is "inverted" with a 3/8" shoulder and tapped 1/4-28 on the inside. This is to let it go up inside the prop drive adaptor, because the shaft is intended for a tether car, not an propellor. It's about 1" long and is keyed to the shaft with a 1/16 square key (which I don't have but can easily get).

This particular engine was, reportedly, never "right" when my dad was a kid and saved for months to be able to buy it. He built a typical speed plane for it, but because it never ran properly, he was very disappointed. Later, as an adult, he some how decided it that the backplate was not on correctly, and ran it with the backplate rotated 90 degrees from the "as delivered" angle. Then still later, he made a HUGE oversize venturi for it. We ran it on a mount clamped to our picnic table with a Top Flite 10-3.5 nylon and timed right or not, it reall spin up and ended up dragging the picnic table across the patio. So, success.

He's long gone, but I have been trying to get some of his old engines put back together from the "help" I provided him once I got the interest, usually ruining it and losing parts.

Any assistance that someone could provide would be appreciated. The cylinder/piston and most everything else is in good shape, the bearings are shot but should be easy to find, but the unique parts have proven a problem. I know they come up for sale on eBay frequently but are usually missing the same parts, particularly the needle.

Brett

p.s. I have managed to restore two of the others, a McCoy 19 RR (rebuilt by GMA himself a long time ago) and his supposedly record-setting Phantom P-30, including restoring all the long-lost ignition parts. That one, I haven't run yet, but it is in nearly "new" condition after finding a ton of parts and a few parts engines over the years.

p.p.s. I read somewhere that Dick McCoy was strictly about tether cars, and never flew a model airplane!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 01:30:21 AM by Brett Buck »

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: McCoy 29 Red Head rear-intake parts
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 11:09:35 PM »
Did you really mean "redhead .35" in the text? It doesn't match the title, of course.

The rear intake .29 NV assembly will be hard to find, but it's a split spraybar like a rear intake K&B .40. I'm fairly sure that the K&B parts will fit and work, but that isn't likely to satisfy your intent. The one RH .29 rear intake I saw run was on suction, and of course, it requires pressure feed of some type or other. I'd check in MECA (or is it MECCA?), eBay, or last resort, MECOA/RJL. The McCoy NV was smaller diameter than the K&B parts, and might be less likely to be straight. Any runout would make the mixture setting pretty flakey at best, pressure or not.   

Early (glow) speed fliers used pen bladder tanks, but when the ballpoint pen came about (due to NASA and their new fangled space ships), those became difficult to source after about the mid-'60's, when I used them. Do you happen to remember what ol' Dad used for a fuel system? If it wasn't pressure feed, that would explain the crappy running.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 01:46:23 AM »
Did you really mean "redhead .35" in the text? It doesn't match the title, of course.

The rear intake .29 NV assembly will be hard to find, but it's a split spraybar like a rear intake K&B .40. I'm fairly sure that the K&B parts will fit and work, but that isn't likely to satisfy your intent. The one RH .29 rear intake I saw run was on suction, and of course, it requires pressure feed of some type or other. I'd check in MECA (or is it MECCA?), eBay, or last resort, MECOA/RJL. The McCoy NV was smaller diameter than the K&B parts, and might be less likely to be straight. Any runout would make the mixture setting pretty flakey at best, pressure or not.   

Early (glow) speed fliers used pen bladder tanks, but when the ballpoint pen came about (due to NASA and their new fangled space ships), those became difficult to source after about the mid-'60's, when I used them. Do you happen to remember what ol' Dad used for a fuel system? If it wasn't pressure feed, that would explain the crappy running.  y1 Steve

I meant 29, of course.

This one has always (since I was 5 or so, which was a long time ago) an "across the choke" spraybar and it looks just like the others I see, and I still have that, just no needle valve. The part I am finding hardest to find is the prop nut, which looks like the nut on a Fox shaft extension.

With the gigantic modified venturi, it ran acceptably well in an airplane he built for me = a Top Flite Superform P-47. I had been flying 1/2As, so I could fly, but with the hot-rod McCoy, this heavy airplane with a mere 27" span pulled FAR too hard for me (at about 8-9 years old) and I almost panicked when it finally got up to speed, because I thought I couldn't hold on to it. But, otherwise, it ran and needled OK on the old Perfect square tank.

If anyone was doing anything with pressure in 1947-48, he almost certainly knew about it, because he flew with one of the two big groups in Little Rock, AR. There was the "Kingfish" Sadler group, and the "Bob Veazy" group, he was with the Veazy group, and they were bitter rivals in Little Rock at the time, and their clubs took turns setting records for a while.

He claims, er, claimed to have set the last "B" Speed record *under* 100 MPH, he got beat the next day by the first person over 100. Or at least that was one of the most plausible versions of that story. Phantom P-30, some "hollow log" Mustang kit with the radiator sanded off and hollowed out to "paper thin", and a 9-16(!) prop! I saw a picture of this thing, I don't don't know about 16" of pitch, but it looked like a paint-stirring agitator, the pitch was so high.

He then saved up for a McCoy 29, never ran faster than the Phantom. He said the Phantom was the only engine that he was always sure he could get started on ignition. Then, a mere 25 years later, he modified the McCoy and it ran like, and I quote, "a spotted-ass ape".

Brett

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 08:11:10 AM »
   What you describe sounds just like what I needed for the McCoy .60 I acquired a few years ago. It has some sort of prop drive washer ( off an O&R I think) then a regular washer and prop nut. I knew of Woody Bartelt, who was the main go to guy for ignition parts and with the help of a parts list and exploded view, figured out what I needed. The .60 was supposed to have what looks like a spool or shaft extension that was keyed to the crank shaft with a 1/16" square key. I ordered up everything in the listing that I didn't see on my engine, and then with in a month or two, word came that Woody had passed away. I don't know what happened to his inventory but I never did hear if anyone bought it out and took it over, but I'm sure he would have had what parts you need. I would have to go get my engine out and see what it had for a NVA, but my thinking right now is that mine was just like for a Red Head .35. In the series of engines like yours I think there were the .29, .49 and the .60 and they all look the same, but are of course different sizes but some parts such as the drive hub may interchange??. There are a couple of the .29s on eVilBay right now. In my casual searching and surfing I don't see the .29 all that much but won't use the term rare, just not very common. Jim Lee was my guide through getting my .60 fixed up, and Jim Kraft might have some parts yet also. Good luck with the project.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 09:43:58 AM »
In the series of engines like yours I think there were the .29, .49 and the .60 and they all look the same, but are of course different sizes but some parts such as the drive hub may interchange??. There are a couple of the .29s on eVilBay right now. In my casual searching and surfing I don't see the .29 all that much but won't use the term rare, just not very common. Jim Lee was my guide through getting my .60 fixed up, and Jim Kraft might have some parts yet also. Good luck with the project.

The drive hub is probably the same, but I have that. What I am missing is the prop nut and washer. It may well be around here somewhere but last time I saw it was about 1975, so, if I haven't run across it by now, I am counting it among the missing.

A Fox shaft extension nut will work, but I am looking for the real McCoy.

Brett

Online bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 03:39:01 PM »
the fox prop nut  parts would fit the McCoy 29 RR. i can fix u up with some K&B 2 tiece needle assbly parts
rad racer

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2022, 05:43:14 PM »
the fox prop nut  parts would fit the McCoy 29 RR. i can fix u up with some K&B 2 tiece needle assbly parts

I appreciate it, but the old man's one-off venturi more-or-less needs the spraybar he has. I guess this means I don't know for sure what needle would be appropriate. A regular McCoy "springy" type screws into it OK. But to be honest, I don't recall what he used for a needle at the time.

So I guess I am just down to the prop but and washer. I have a Fox one, it would work for running it, but I was hoping to get the original .

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here