News:

• March 28, 2024, 12:44:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: McCoy .29 Blue Head  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Christopher Root

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
McCoy .29 Blue Head
« on: December 21, 2021, 08:57:00 AM »
So just wanted to let you all in on something cool I stumbled upon. I had an old McCoy .29 Blue Head, R/C. Had Randy Smith in GA make a new C/L venturi.  The compression wasn't great, so got an aluminum ringed piston from MECOA.  Kept the original liner. Runs awesome now! I've got it mounted on a Stirling A2D SkyShark that someone gave me. Have a great Christmas!

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: McCoy .29 Blue Head
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 02:56:43 PM »
So just wanted to let you all in on something cool I stumbled upon. I had an old McCoy .29 Blue Head, R/C. Had Randy Smith in GA make a new C/L venturi.  The compression wasn't great, so got an aluminum ringed piston from MECOA.  Kept the original liner. Runs awesome now! I've got it mounted on a Stirling A2D SkyShark that someone gave me. Have a great Christmas!

COOL! That piston must have been from the later Series 21 .29 size engine? Did you get a cylinder liner with it also? The reason I ask is because the ringed engines usually need a bridge in the exhaust cut out to support the ring as it goes by. If not, maybe the sides of the exhaust are close enough together to get the job done under full tension of a new ring. As the ring wears, that might be an issue. Good luck with it and keep us posted on further progress !
   HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 07:30:06 PM »
I kept the original liner, which already had fencing around the ports.  It seems to retain the piston ring well. For cheap money, a lot of these old engines can be restored!  If you want to see a video of it running, I posted it on the facebook Control Line Enthusiasts page,

C R

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 07:10:08 AM »
  I just may look into that some more. For quite a while, some guys have been converting McCoy .35 and .40 Red Heads to the Series 21 piston and rings but it required certain versions of the engines. I have been buying up Series .21 cores for the .40 when ever I could get them cheap enough, and should have enough parts to do several. I just might have to move that project up on the to do list! The .29 would be a good size for a lot of older, classic kits and sport stunt designs. I'm not sure how many of those I have but may brave the cold up in the attic to check. Thanks for the information!
  HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Christopher Root

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 10:03:28 AM »
Yes, I've heard that the O.D. of the Series 21 piston liners was slightly bigger then the O.D. of the Red Head liners.  I've heard of people boring out the Red Head case slightly to take the larger Series 21 piston and liner. It would be nice to just swap in a new AL piston and ring, keeping the old liner, and not having to bore anything out!

Online Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 05:46:20 PM »
Those old McCoys do not have liners as such as the cylinder is the liner. They are one piece. The cylinder bolts to the case with the three long bolts.
Jim Kraft

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2021, 06:49:38 PM »
 You need a McCoy Lightning Bolt engine to use the series’s 21 piston and ring. The Lightning Bolt has a fenced liner to hold the ring in place. I have modified two 35s this way years ago and are great runners. I have one mounted on a Hornet with a pacifier pressure tank that flys at 96 mph. The other one I have on a Ringmater that does the most Beautiful 4-2-4 break you ever heard. My friend did a 40 and mounted it in a Nobler after seeing my 35 and it’s a great runner to.
Al

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2021, 09:43:29 AM »
You need a McCoy Lightning Bolt engine to use the series’s 21 piston and ring. The Lightning Bolt has a fenced liner to hold the ring in place. I have modified two 35s this way years ago and are great runners. I have one mounted on a Hornet with a pacifier pressure tank that flys at 96 mph. The other one I have on a Ringmater that does the most Beautiful 4-2-4 break you ever heard. My friend did a 40 and mounted it in a Nobler after seeing my 35 and it’s a great runner to.
Al

Hi Al;
      I think I remember that part. You have to stay within the same displacement when swapping parts. I don't know exactly what I have "in stock" for engines and parts yet but just acquired a couple more Series 21 .40s. I don't think I have the required lightning bolt .40 and turning some .35's into .40s is what I was thinking about. And that means boring out the case, correct? Definitely a next year thing.
  Type at you later and
  MERRY CHRISTMAS!
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2021, 08:33:29 PM »
And that means boring out the case, correct? Definitely a next year thing.
  Type at you later and
  MERRY CHRISTMAS!
   Dan McEntee
[/quote]
Hi Dan, I always stayed with the same displacement engines so I don’t know about using a 40 liner in a 35 case. You should try to pick up a 40 LightingBolt engine because it has a better case with a bronze bushing for the crank, plus the Lighting Bolts look really cool too.
Al

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2021, 03:05:48 PM »
And that means boring out the case, correct? Definitely a next year thing.
  Type at you later and
  MERRY CHRISTMAS!
   Dan McEntee

Hi Dan, I always stayed with the same displacement engines so I don’t know about using a 40 liner in a 35 case. You should try to pick up a 40 LightingBolt engine because it has a better case with a bronze bushing for the crank, plus the Lighting Bolts look really cool too.
Al

I've got a collection of McCoy engines of most varieties, just not sure of Lightning Bolt .40's. The .40's are pretty hard to find in any version, even the series 21 engines. I have to climb up in the attic for some other stuff and will check out my "stock."

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
   Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2021, 04:22:55 PM »
Dan,

In case you are interested, I know a guy that has a bunch of Testors McCoy 40 engines to sell.  I have it on good authority there are more to come.  You may know this seller, as it is me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324962575627

Peter

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2021, 04:58:13 PM »
Dan,

In case you are interested, I know a guy that has a bunch of Testors McCoy 40 engines to sell.  I have it on good authority there are more to come.  You may know this seller, as it is me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324962575627

Peter

I haven't made it up into the attic yet today to check inventory. I may have enough to do what I want to do. Thanks for the heads up, though, I'll be watching just in case!
  HAPPY NEW YEAR!
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here