News:

• May 17, 2024, 07:53:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RUNAWAYS CURED  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
RUNAWAYS CURED
« on: March 17, 2007, 02:11:27 PM »
Not telling anyone what to do, just letting you know what happened to me and what I did. I have a OS40FP Muggleton modifiied, Hemi head etc. in my Nobler. When I first started flying it. It was very inconsistant and I couldn't figure it out. Also I noticed that after a flight if I touched the plastic spinner aluminum backplate it was so hot it would burn you. So thinking it was a cooling problem I opened the intake on the cowl. Still the same, so I opened the exit holes another 50%. Still the same. So I went from 22% oil to 24% oil. Still the same and the spinner backplate was still way hot and the runs were not getting any better and it even ran away a few times. I finally got to thinking about the tongue muffler I was running. I don't know where I got it but it's a nice lightweight unit that looks good. I opened up all the holes another .005 and took it out for another flight. Will wonders never seize, a solid 4 stroke through out the pattern which allowed me to lean the needle out a little more for some increased power. After many flights now and each is the same as the last, the problem has gone away. It was frustrating and I was upset. But Finally it all game together. It could of been any one of the above and after drilling out the muffler I could not tell any difference in the noise level. Again, not telling everyone to drill their muffler, just letting you know what worked for me. I was used to using plastic clunk tanks successfully on my profiles so of course I blamed the problem on the new metal tank.....WRONG......Grins
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 09:39:15 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: RUNAWAYS CURED
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 07:32:38 PM »
If you go back through the various 4/2, runaway posts you'll find that excess heat from too much back pressure is one of the top things to look at.  Glad you found a simple cure.
phil Cartier

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 11:42:48 PM »
If you go back through the various 4/2, runaway posts you'll find that excess heat from too much back pressure is one of the top things to look at.  Glad you found a simple cure.

Simple cure, Yeah it's easy to say now but at the time it was a pain in the posterier. I was starting to hate that plane. But satisfaction does come when you figure some little thing out or solve the problem and it makes your flights enjoyable....Grins
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 07:18:49 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline bruce malm

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 01:46:18 PM »
Sometimes if and engine isn't broken in enough, you will have the same problem. I went through a bunch of changes and then put the stock muffler on to get some more run time.

Tongue worked fine afterwards,

Bruce

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 08:16:51 PM »
Hi Greg ,

What were the original aperture size(s) in the tongue muffler to start with ?
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 10:03:47 PM »
Hi Rob,
My tongue muffler has 3 rows of 5 holes for a total of 15 holes. Originally the holes were .093 diameter and I used a No. 40 drill and opened them to .098 diameter. Actually I was planning on opening them even farther but I was only going to it a little at a time until it made a difference. I knew that the motor could run better because it had in the passed on a different ship, and with a different muffler. I was lucky that it worked the first try. Not all motors can be prevented from the runaway just by drilling the muffler out. It also depends on the timing and compression etc. Having seen this motor run better in the passed I knew it had the potential.
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here