News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:58:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Magnum XL 25  (Read 3799 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Magnum XL 25
« on: February 20, 2019, 11:03:50 AM »
Are Magnum XL motors of the ball bearinged variety or not?

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: Magnum XL 25
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 03:33:41 PM »
       I have never seen a bushed XL series engine myself. I own the XL.25, .28, .32 all ball bearing engines. My experience with the stock bearings is that their not so high on the quality list. Mine needed replacing after a season or two. The BOCA replacements I purchased have been working quite well.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 04:59:15 PM »
Hi Ken,

Do they run well?  How's the power?  How's the run?

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 08:09:23 PM »
           I use mine for speed limit combat. Starting is incredibly reliable as these engines are generally true ABC. We use OS LA .25's for speed limit due to the fact that stock as is,  the LA runs the time required without issue. The Magnum though needs to have it's venturi really choked down because it runs much faster using the same fuel and prop. The .28 seemed to be easier to tame but I haven't used it much. The .32 is as powerful as a FP.40. and I really noticed no difference on the same plane using a 9x4 which was the only prop that would allow the plane not to exceed 75mph. The XL.25 fuel consumption was slightly more than the LA. I use about 2.25 oz's for a 5 min plus flight on the stock LA and I had to slightly increase my bladder compartment for the XL even though the venturi was choked down. I use a adjustable venturi which has a nylon screw to block it off allowing me more power if needed.

The .28 has been one I haven't used much but it seemed a little easier to tame than the .32 for my needs. The weight of the .25 is up vs a bushed .25. The XL .32 share the same bolting pattern and weight is very close. I give the engine line a big thumbs up. Easy to run, good power and good economy. The XL line I believe is a bit outdated and the XLS series took over offering even more power. I do have a new XLS.25 which is slated for a new wing I'm building. The New England crowd uses the ASP engines which are really the same engine. My XL series are all the older round cylinders where the newer XLS series is squarish. My only real complaint with the XL is that in the event of a ground strike, the drive washer which is locked onto the shaft via a collet is very difficult to remove. The only way I could remove it was disassemble cylinder and  use my arbor press and press the shaft out enough to get behind it. The removal would also be required if you need to change the stock  bearings which I can say will be needed at some point.

One fellow in the club is using the .28  in a overweight Brodak Shark due to some sort of heavy armor covering. I believe he's using a Enya venturi and needle valve which the Enya Nylon venturi was a direct fit. It flies fast more than likely because he likes it that way and it makes for a great sport plane.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 03:30:21 AM by kenneth cook »

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 05:05:45 AM »
Thanks for that great report.  Two other questions.

What fuel do you use with it?   And where did you buy the replacement bearings.

I just bought one with an Enya NVA and delrin venturi.  It's on the way.  Just wanted to know what to expect.

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 02:24:09 PM »
            I use Powermaster GMA 10%. These were designed for r/c and they typically use a bit more nitro like 15%. I have run as much as 35%. Boca has the bearings. When you enter the site they offer options as to your needs. They have a dropdown bar of hundreds of engines. I do like to measure the bearing and compare to the offering prior to ordering. They usually offer economy to high quality bearings and I just use the economy. Their cheapest bearing is better than the stock bearing and I haven't had any issues using them.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 05:35:19 PM »
I was just looking up GMA fuel.  Do you use the 18% oil or the 22% oil?  I'm not sure it has any castor in it. Does this engine need any castor?

Also, it sounds like this motor is really fast and powerful.  I don't know if power and speed are the same.  I will probably use it on a 35 porker Magician or Cosmic Wind.  I don't know if it would pull a Nobler or Verctor or a Banshee?

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 06:39:03 PM »
        GMA is 22% oil. The construction of this engine would allow for a lesser percentage. I certainly feel that 18% wouldn't do any harm. I personally would use no less than 20%. These engines don't require a lot of castor oil.  Keep the oil content like I mentioned in the 20% range and a 50/50 synthetic blend. I have also use Ro-Jett full synthetic in these from Powermaster ( No Longer available) which worked superb. They were designed to use modern hobby shop fuels. I just happen to use Powermaster GMA and I like what it does for the engine run. Don't prop these engines with wide blade props that are greater than a 5 pitch. I run a 8x4 on bladder pressure in combat and I use it with a 9x4 for stunt on suction. I have never had to use a 5 pitch prop and I would only think the results wouldn't be very rewarding. Let it rev and it will swing the 4 pitch all day long.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 07:51:52 PM »
OK I will probably use Brodak 10% 11/11 castor and synthetic or something similar. Thanks for your help.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 10:11:00 AM »
Is Anyone else out there running this engine? If so, for what use and what planes?

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 10:18:32 PM »
Ran an XL .25 in a Pat Johnston "Stunt Trainer" until the plane fell apart...with a bit of convincing. Nice engine. I used a 9-4 Taipan, but tried a 10-3 APC and a few other props. It wouldn't go fast enough with the 10-3. An APC 9.5 x 4.5 might work real well. The XL .28 is also a nice engine...I think it has a bigger bore and same crank, so it's lighter than the .25, if you have a choice.

Perhaps interestingly, the earlier (still PRC) Magnum instructions specified break-in fuel of 20% or more castor oil. More recently, they only specify 20% or more oil, recognizing that castor oil fuel is harder to get. I'm not opposed to synthetic oil at all, but also think some castor is a good thing, even if it comes from the drugstore. Decent fuel will make one of these last almost forever. I got my XLS .36 used from Mike Haverly and ran it for years and years. We estimated that it probably had 20 gallons of fuel run through it when I gave it to Tim, and it was still easy to get 1-flip starts at that point. I made several strings of 12 in a row, but the 13th always needed two flips. It also started twice without the battery connected, so...  :o Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 04:51:43 AM »
What size plane is/was the Stunt Trainer?  I can't find a picture of it any where.  Profile or full bodied?  Flaps, no flaps?

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2019, 05:16:37 AM »
How would it do on a Shark 402? or on a Doodle Streak (modified Flite Streak - longer), or a Magician (old kit)?

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 07:58:35 AM »
          Allen, the Brodak Shark was the plane my fellow club member was using it on. I feel all of your plane choices would be suitable. They weigh as much as the OS Fp engines. I think Steve nailed pretty much of what I was trying to convey. In addition, not a recommended practice, but my club member makes his own fuel and didn't add oil by mistake. I don't exactly recall why this happened, but he ran the engine for what I believe was 2 tankfuls  on nitro and methanol. The engine is still going strong. A careless mistake of course but it was interesting to see that it didn't destroy the engine.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 07:12:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I just received it.  It looks great.  Can't wait for some good weather to get it going.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2019, 10:01:08 PM »
I have not used this motor yet.  However, I am putting it on the DoodleStreak.  However, the seller recommends 25% castor fuel.  Could this be correct?  Would it be damaging to use the 25% or 29% or would that be safest for a short time?   

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2019, 02:36:06 PM »
          Allen, the Magnum is a true ABC engine. It doesn't need or require 25% oil. That in my opinion is too much oil and this could cause issues. I run all of mine on half castor , half synthetic 22%. This engine could comfortably run on less without damage. Using too much castor will really carbon up the engine. The r/c crowd was probably using 18% or less. 25% and greater is for older iron piston engines.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2019, 05:46:42 PM »
Ran an XL .25 in a Pat Johnston "Stunt Trainer" until the plane fell apart...with a bit of convincing. Nice engine. I used a 9-4 Taipan, but tried a 10-3 APC and a few other props. It wouldn't go fast enough with the 10-3. An APC 9.5 x 4.5 might work real well. The XL .28 is also a nice engine...I think it has a bigger bore and same crank, so it's lighter than the .25, if you have a choice.

Perhaps interestingly, the earlier (still PRC) Magnum instructions specified break-in fuel of 20% or more castor oil. More recently, they only specify 20% or more oil, recognizing that castor oil fuel is harder to get. I'm not opposed to synthetic oil at all, but also think some castor is a good thing, even if it comes from the drugstore. Decent fuel will make one of these last almost forever. I got my XLS .36 used from Mike Haverly and ran it for years and years. We estimated that it probably had 20 gallons of fuel run through it when I gave it to Tim, and it was still easy to get 1-flip starts at that point. I made several strings of 12 in a row, but the 13th always needed two flips. It also started twice without the battery connected, so...  :o Steve 

I found the XLS 36 the best of the bunch.  I never did get the 32 to start forward consistently.  It would run slowly in a rich 4 cycle backwards quite nicely.  The 28-25 were fine engines, just smaller displacement and power.  The 36 has a characteristic of a lot of series sized engines built in basically one case.  The larger bore and displacement seem to just run more reliably, easy to set, usually don't change much in flight, hold a setting better.  The
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 12:44:41 PM by phil c »
phil Cartier

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2019, 06:45:08 AM »
Use what lube the mfg specs and don't worry about it. Unless something has changed, magnums have been 20% lube. I run all castor in my mag 40 and give it a crock pot bath every now then to keep it going.  It has a zillion flights and is still strong.
Bill P.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2019, 07:37:41 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.  At least I'm not tied to 25% castor.  I will soon be running it.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2019, 10:51:39 PM »
A bit late, but Pat Johnston's "Stunt Trainer" is listed in his plans list as being 400 sq.in., so much the same as the Shark 402 and not much bigger than a Flite Streak. Six of one, etc.

I have my XL .25 on a "Tomahawk II", but haven't gotten around to flying it yet. Should do that this week.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2019, 08:36:04 PM »
First two flights on the Doodle Streak.  The first one too rich.  The second one, about there.  Biggest problem was not the motor.  With a weighted nose cone, it was way too nose heavy. But that can be fixed easily.  I uses Brodak 5% nitro, 11x11 castor/synthetic.  Should I up that to 10%?  At least it runs.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2019, 08:25:51 PM »
Well, I used 10% nitro.  I really wound it out on the ground because it slows down as soon as it launches.  I guess less load on the prop.  Wow! It really runs.  Thanks for all your advice.  On my second flight yesterday (4th total) the end of the muffler popped off in grass. What a noise. 

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2019, 07:02:09 PM »
Sounds like your fuel tank is mounted on the inboard side of the nose? I've never done that, but Dirty Dan did some experiments with that setup and seemed to like it.

Are you using muffler pressure? I tend to like muffler pressure,  but if you tend to have leaky tanks, hoses, or mufflers coming loose or ends falling off, it's best to avoid it. When that stuff happens, the engine goes dead lean, which is never good.  n1 Steve

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2019, 01:26:05 PM »
I do have the tank mounted inboard. 

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2019, 01:27:22 PM »
No pressure

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2019, 07:43:24 PM »
Well, I finally got back to flying this beast.  My brother updated the tail feathers to recommended Doodle Streak size and I put in a new needle valve.  I definitely notice the slowing of the motor once it is in the air, probably because of the inboard tank mount.  I got a really good run by turning the needle in to where one more click causes it to stop. This gave me a very good 2 cycle run, once in the air.

Also, I love the smoothness of the Doodle Streak with the larger tail feathers.  Sweet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here