News:

• April 28, 2024, 09:16:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PAW 55 BR Diesel  (Read 3770 times)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
PAW 55 BR Diesel
« on: April 19, 2016, 10:33:25 PM »
   Hello Diesel lovers!
    I just came into possession of a PAW 55 BR ball bearing diesel engine. I have been reading the magazines and such enough to know that this is a pretty decent engine. Lots of paper work came with it and I have determined that it is of .03" displacement. I have just started to have an interest in these things for some reason. Wish I would have done this while Jim Thomerson and Jim Wilson were still with us. They were two of the best I ever saw with diesel engines. My question is, this thing is a pretty powerful engine, am I correct? I was initially thinking that I could put it on a model that is usually powered by a TD-.020, like some of the .020 OT Replica models. What size/weight free flight model and/or control line model would suit this engine? I think I have the plans from AeroModeller for the TomBoy and would like to build that. I plan to find the ingredients for fuel and mix up a small batch and bench run it to get used to operating one. I have some old McCoy diesels and a few other imports to try and run also.  I recently won a copy of Dr. Diesel's book on eBay and will use that as a guide. Thanks in advance for any and all guidance and suggestions.
   The St. Louis Blues just took two games from the Blackhawks IN CHICAGO!!!!
   LET"S GO BLUES!!!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
Re: PAW 55 BR Diesel
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 06:38:06 AM »
Hello Dan,
A Paw 55 will fly a Tomboy unless the plane is way too heavy. The usual Mills 0.75 is overkill , even though it is the preferred engine for a Tomboy. Make sure you get good fuel. This is the secret and do NOT use an electric starter.
One of the guys on here, ruined his second hand PAW 0.55, it seemed to not be able to run in. Finally he bent the con rod. I sent him a new P/L and con rod. But there seemed to be some incompatibility on the cylinder threading. In the end I sent him a new engine and I think he was very pleased with it. I shall not name him!

All the best,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 06:50:54 AM »
Hi Dan, a friend of mine has one of these and we've used it for a lot of flying (CL). They are really nice little engines and highly thought-of. I don't have any other engines of that size (or a TD 020), so I can't really say how it compares power-wise. My guess is that it's pretty good, though, and your idea of a TD 020-size model would be fine.  Maybe something a bit bigger, even. Expect to use a bigger prop than the TD would - something around a 6x4 seems about right for CL.

My friend had his in a slightly enlarged Stunt Chimp. It was quite capable, and surprised a few people. I can try and find out the dimensions, if it helps. They're a nice engine to use, and not fussy with settings. Just beware flooding it - you don't really want more than about 1 choked turn, plus maybe a touch of fuel against the closed piston.

Steve

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 04:33:08 AM »
Hello Dan,
I missed the bit about free flight planes. I reckon that the PAW 0.55 will handle anything that a TD 0.02 will fly, much quieter too! In fact that is exactly how I choose my aircraft for the PAW, I simply look for anything designed for the TD 0.02 or the Pee Wee.
It will surprise you at what it can do with C/L planes. It was designed as a replacement for the old Allbon Dart. It succeeded in spades. I would estimate anything up to half as much power again over a standard Dart.

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 11:50:10 AM »
.061 x .55 = .03355

I would recommend one of the old Competition Models (Sal Taibi) kits of the B-70 as a test plane. A very quick build and a surprisingly good flyer. A pusher 6-3 or 6-4 should be easy enough to find.  H^^ Steve
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 02:57:17 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 01:35:03 PM »
I have one on a Baby Ringmaster.  I used to have it on a Brodak Baby Clown. It was adequate, but for stunt competition, I switched to a 1cc PAW. That allowed me to go out to 38 ft lines. Otherwise, a great engine. And, by the way, I always use a Miller 1/2A starter on it. The key is to be sure to turn it over by hand first to avoid hydro lock.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 02:41:33 PM »
Hello Larry,
Maybe an1/2A starter, with the proviso that you check that the engine isn't flooded. If it doesn't start at once, don't grind away with the starter. The little PAW isn't designed for a starter, all of mine DON'T have a steel washer behind the prop driver, so you grind Aluminium alloy on Aluminium alloy. Not good!
Where can I get a 1/2 A starter that doesn't cost the earth? Last time I looked I could only find one (SIG?) and that was over $80, too much for me. It would be useful on the small APC props, which are finger slicers even when sanded down!

Thanks,

Andrew.

P.S. I have a couple of lightweight stunters called the Cheshire Kitten. With the PAW 0.55 up front it will perform wingovers and most round maneuvers. vertical and horizontal eights and even a cloverleaf if you practice, build light and it goes well even on carpet thread!
BMFA Number 64862

Online Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 04:28:01 PM »
Miller R/C and Sullivan both make starters.  I believe that Miller will sell you the aluminum cup and silicone inserts so you can make your own! With a good old brushed motor and some pvc pipe, you are on your way! With brushless motors all the vogue, brushed ones should be really cheap at swap meets. That should save some bucks!  y1
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:40:25 AM by Larry Renger »
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 10:09:58 AM »
I'm a fan of the PAW diesels.  I don't have the PAW 55, but I'm flying a replica Elfin 1.8 reduced down to 0.020 cuin. size.  It hauls around this "Tiny Fry" on 40' lines, and is still too fast.  I'll have to use longer lines.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here