News:

• April 24, 2024, 09:51:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Low power output from OS SF .46 engines???????  (Read 4000 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Low power output from OS SF .46 engines???????
« on: September 05, 2019, 03:35:53 PM »
       Hi All:

I tested my two OS SF .46 engines today to determine if they would pull a Score.  I was greatly disappointed in the power output from both engines.  One engine is ABC and the other is ringed.  They both appear to be at least 3000 rpm slower than other .46 engines.  The ringed eingie is like new with a new ring installed and is broken innfor ue.  The ABC engine is very tight at the top of the stroke where starting is very difficult.  Neither me or my Sullivan starter has the power to turn this engine over without first warming the cylinder.

Here are a few results from my tests today.  The tach was checked for 3600 Hz prior to testing.  Both engines have a venturi size of .285 and a ST style of nva.

Ringed engine 10-6 prop 11,160

11-6 prop 9,300

12-4 prop  7,900

ABC engine      10-6 prop  10,130

11-6 prop  8,590

12-4 prop  8,900

I thought that these engines should turn a 10-6 prop in the 13000-14000 rpm range.  They run very smoothly and appear to be good engines but they have a bit left to be desired if I want them to pull a Score!

The fuel used in the test was 11 castor, 11 syn. , 10 nitro, and same plug.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
Re: Low power output from OS SF .46 engines???????
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 05:02:03 PM »
Hello
Something is wrong with your tacho, fuel (stale includes water?) or plug or both engines are damaged/assembled wrong.
 Even a well worn engine with good fuel and a good glow plug would give more rpm .
Regards Gerald

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 05:04:16 PM »
                            12-4 prop  8,900

Peaked out? That's incredibly weak.   That's the prop I would start with, probably, and expect that to go about 11,000 and be in a rich 2-stroke on the ground.  I don't have one to test with, but that's way, way, off the mark.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 05:10:48 PM »
       Hi All:

I tested my two OS SF .46 engines today to determine if they would pull a Score.  I was greatly disappointed in the power output from both engines.  One engine is ABC and the other is ringed.  They both appear to be at least 3000 rpm slower than other .46 engines.  The ringed eingie is like new with a new ring installed and is broken innfor ue.  The ABC engine is very tight at the top of the stroke where starting is very difficult.  Neither me or my Sullivan starter has the power to turn this engine over without first warming the cylinder.

Here are a few results from my tests today.  The tach was checked for 3600 Hz prior to testing.  Both engines have a venturi size of .285 and a ST style of nva.

Ringed engine 10-6 prop 11,160

11-6 prop 9,300

12-4 prop  7,900

ABC engine      10-6 prop  10,130

11-6 prop  8,590

12-4 prop  8,900

I thought that these engines should turn a 10-6 prop in the 13000-14000 rpm range.  They run very smoothly and appear to be good engines but they have a bit left to be desired if I want them to pull a Score!

The fuel used in the test was 11 castor, 11 syn. , 10 nitro, and same plug.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Hi Frank

All of your numbers  are  low,  BUT  7900  RPMS with a  12 x 4 on the  46 ringed engine,  You have some type of BAD problem  somewhere   , or  your  Venturis are much smaller than you listed,  Tach problems ???  Something there is  wrong
try another  tach  re measure the venturi  size

Randy

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 10:47:52 PM »
Putta darn 8.8 to 9 mm venturie in it , And run it ' at the switch ' . Lookathe ' Royal 46 ' post info .

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 11:57:53 PM »
9 mm/.354 would definitely increase the power on the bench, but it is VASTLY too large to actually use in flight.

Something else is going on, because the RPMs listed would be blubbering rich with it otherwise working, and a .281 venturi. You should able to swing a typical 12-4 at 12,000 RPM peaked out, at least, with this system, and I have seen that done easily - in 105 degree weather! The numbers you are getting could easily be managed by an average ST46.

This seems to happen time and again - there is some really obvious factor that we are missing somewhere, something really fundamental, a systematic misunderstanding.

Brett

Offline Massimo Rimoldi

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 03:57:11 AM »
The problem could be in the muffler.
Any idea of the configuration and size of the exit hole?

Massimo

Online afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 06:22:16 AM »
"The fuel used in the test was 11 castor, 11 syn. , 10 nitro, and same plug."
Is this a NEW plug???
Had a similar problem with another motor that ran THE SAME every flight, until a contest at another location with similar altitude, temp & humidity. New plug solved the problem!
Good luck & "Tight Lines!" H^^
Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 10:46:40 PM »
Yea , Frrank mightve forgot to take the rag outta the exhaust port .  S?P

My FS CLONE a b c Royal 46 was a bit soft & would dry off in square corners , in a 60 Oz Magnum , with 275 , 295 & 312 intakes .
Did a few calcs & threw in a .35 inch ! . with a 12 x 6 its at the switch pulling 76 Oz of Strega rather well .

Used some high temp silicone for last engine build - sans gaskets . Maybe the backplates not sealed wright .  :P

Heres Hoffman roped into a go, a few minutes previously . Id put it a few clicks leaner , wouldve been deeper / more ' on the switch ' otherwise
and a touch slower . 5.2 , My first effort at filming , but observable anyway . the smaller intakes had previously been hopeless .
However it drinks 6 Oz with the big intake . Here on 15 % nitro , likely will try 10 % at the next time out . Howling Wind today .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=ah4MD05QCBc

How'd you get on with the piston ring , Frank . Is that o.k. , or is it the abc version .

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 12:35:50 PM »
When you look in the exhaust port are all the ports lined up? Did it drop a wrist pin clip and score the cylinder? Seems funny they are both down on power, must be something in common.

More disturbing/confounding is that this is the latest in a series of different engines, all of which apparently have some severe defect or almost inconceivably low performance. There is some, probably really basic, element that we are missing here. The best suggest was above, maybe the tach isn't working, it should be possible to tell the difference between 12,000 and 8000 without a tach.

The stock 46SF muffler *is* restrictive, but, not *that* restrictive. 8000 rpm with a 12-4? A Fox 35 might manage that, expect a 46SF to be in the ballpark with an ST60 with this size prop.

Brett

p.s. This is beginning to sound kind of familiar, actually  - I saw a very similar situation with a 46LA about 10-12 years ago at the NWR, that is, less power than a Fox 35. What is the provenance of this engine - has it been "improved" or "reworked for stunt"?  Or did it come straight out of the package from the OS factory? 

This is a growing issue - engines that have been "improved" and then the source and the type of modifications lost. The unsuccessful modifications tend to get passed around many times, during which, any notion about what was done or what the history of them was lost. The Randy modification to the 46SF is about a match for an ST60 in all regards, but *many* of the others are late-70's style "drop the liner" deals where all the power just goes away.

Another possibility is a stock engine with the liner in backwards. In that case, it will get *stinking hot* while also putting out clouds of smoke and no power. It's unlikely that they are all backwards, unless they have been "improved", in which case almost anything is possible.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 09:05:09 AM by Brett Buck »

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 01:02:41 PM »
      Hi again:

More info re the low power output of the two OS SF .46 engines.

Checked all three tachs and they were in agreement.

Replaced the glow plug and used the same plug for all tests.

Today's results on the ringed engine are: 11-6 prop 9300 rpm verified by two tachs.  10-6 prop 11,000 rpm again verified by two tachs

Control engine was a ST G 49 Sport and it turned an 11-6 prop at 11,530 with a .250" dia. venturi!  The OS engines are equipped with .285" venturm. 

The OS engines start and run very well but...

I am beginning to think that these two engines are choked down too much for maximum power.  I noticed that a rc version of the .46 engine had a carb bore of .308"!!!!!  Should this mean anything to me?

I removed the heads from both engines to see if there was some obvious fault in assembly, wear or damage and I could not see anything but perfection.  The new ring is still black meaning that it has not broken in yet. ????  The ABC p&c are great!  All has been assembled correctly as far as I can determine.

I do have an extra venturi insert that measures .250 that I may open to a larger bore.  How large should I go assuming that .285" is too restrictive?  I am hoping to use on of these engines to power a Score.  I have been advised that the ST .49 Sport would be a wise choice for the Score.  It is one easy handling engine!

Suggestion/Comments?

Thanks for all of the replies!

Frank McCune

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 01:27:57 PM »
      I am beginning to think that these two engines are choked down too much for maximum power.  I noticed that a rc version of the .46 engine had a carb bore of .308"!!!!!  Should this mean anything to me?

No. While you might be able to get more power with a larger venturi (while severely impacting the run quality), it should be several thousand RPM more with the venturi you have. ".281", that is, probably whatever it comes out when you drill it with a 9/32 drill (which is likely around .283 or so, depending on the quality of the grind), is a very common size to use. I have sent people off with a 12-4 Eather or 12-4.5 Bolly, set the needle to 11,200, and they are good to go, numerous times.

This stuff is not magic, it's not "well, whatever works for you", and the 46SF is hardly a new, unknown quantity - it's been around forever. engines are generally simple and straightforward to understand, at least as far as this sort of thing goes. The difference between the power at 8000 and the power at 12000 is more than a factor of 3 - you are getting maybe 30% of the power that would be otherwise expected. There is something very fundamentally wrong here, it's not a slightly tweak away.

We are probing to try to figure it out, not to annoy you, because you seems to have these sorts of issues time after time. Your air is not consequentially different from ours, at least not by a factor of more than 3.

Randy has built up and run these forever, I have assisted in at least a dozen 46SF runners at the field, with generally good results. We (usually Ted Fancher and I)  do have a few typical changes we suggest, but they are minor tweaks to move the needle around,  none that take it from 8000 to 12000. It's not really an experiment at this point, something else is going on.

Brett

p.s.. again, where did these engines come from? Used, from someone else? Or straight from the box, unused and in the factory condition? Because the most obvious cause is "modifications", and improper modifications have definitely caused the same issues before, in fact, the vast majority of modifications cause abnormally low power, because they are misguided.  If you don't want to say in public, PM me.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 03:25:21 PM »
       Hi Walt:

You have made me an offer that I can not refuse!!!  I aint very smart and now I must enlist someone smarter than I.  All I need is your mailing address.  The only thing that I ask in return is that you inform the other members of what you find. 

Send me a pm with your addy and perhaps a phone number.  I hate to type!

Thank you for a very generous and kind offer.

Frank

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2019, 04:07:47 PM »
       Hello Brett et. al.:

A big thank you to all of you who replied to my post!

I bought both of these engines from fellow club members. The ringed engine looked like it was new but after inspection, it was determined that the ring was broken.  I replaced the ring and all appeared well.  The ABC engine looked as if it had been run with many gallons of castor fuel as the sleeve and top of the piston were both very black with burned castor.  However, this engine still has a bit of pinch at TDC and the compression is so strong that it is very difficult to flip over for starting.  I am too weak to finger start it or use a chicken stick to turn it over.  It laughs at my Sullivan Starter! Lol  I can only start it by whacking it very smartly with a large club! It appears the  compression is sky high.  It is very difficult to turn over via the propeller!  Once the plug has been removed, it is a joy to turn over with no surprises.

One thing that I noticed about the ABC engine is that the inside of the head is CLEAN and has a 40 cast into the bottom.  I seems to fit the liner perfectly??? Why is the head devoid of any trace of being run and the rest of the combustion chamber is coated with a black residue? Perhaps a replacement head for some reason has been installed on this engine.

Is the ST G .49 Sport figures in line with this engine running a venturi of .250"?  What size of venturi would work well with this engine and a ST nva.?

The ST Sport is a great engine.  I think that it has a lapped steel/cast iron p&c and one ball bearing in the rear.  One flip starts and runs like a fine Swiss watch!     

There is no evidence of any rework being done to either engine.  All is clean inside.

Hey Brett, I think that I have noticed a pattern here with my engine problems.  I do not run any engines that I purchased new!  Perhaps this would end most of my engine problems. Lol Being a "Gear Head", I never met an engine that I did not want to give a good home. Lol Even ugly engines need love. Lol

Thanks again,

Frank

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2019, 05:41:48 PM »
    I bought both of these engines from fellow club members. The ringed engine looked like it was new but after inspection, it was determined that the ring was broken.  I replaced the ring and all appeared well.  The ABC engine looked as if it had been run with many gallons of castor fuel as the sleeve and top of the piston were both very black with burned castor.  However, this engine still has a bit of pinch at TDC and the compression is so strong that it is very difficult to flip over for starting.

Hey Brett, I think that I have noticed a pattern here with my engine problems.  I do not run any engines that I purchased new!  Perhaps this would end most of my engine problems. Lol Being a "Gear Head", I never met an engine that I did not want to give a good home. Lol Even ugly engines need love.

Of course. I tend to stick with engines until they simply won't go any more, too. But some of the issue may be evident here. Here are some engine pictures.

My first 40VF, probably 2500-3000 flights over the period of about 10 years, completely worn out. The last flights on this engine were at the 98 NATs, and I knew I was in trouble when I went to tweak it a bit leaner, and it went "over the top" - thats all it had. Nonetheless, it was good for a 595 score and first on my qualifying circle, ahead of Bill Werwage on that particular flight. Didn't go quite as well on Top 20 day, but, still,

This is with no significant cleaning, other than spraying it with carb cleaner to get rid of the oil. Note that there is nothing caked on it.

Here's what the hot end looks like:

Since this is the engine I am installing a Randy AAC piston/liner, I took it apart to see the insides. Very important and relevant point - *this is the first time this engine has had the head off of it. I did replace the bearings by removing the front housing once, but otherwise, I had no idea what I would find after 10ish years of continuous use in competition. This is what the top of the piston looks like:

Note that this is with no real cleaning, no scraping, nothing, and this engine was run on straight castor for a fair bit of its existance.
exhaust side of piston:

Point being that it you can see obvious indications of black mess all over, you might suspect the engine has been abused. I emphasize that *this engine has been run far, far more than almost anyone that is not a hard-core competitor will ever run it* and you can still barely tell.

Brett

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2019, 06:13:33 PM »
In case anyone thinks this is an aberration, a 1965 Fox 35 only ever modified to install socket-head screws (damaged in antiquity by my father, replaced in the last few years). He may have run ~5-10 gallons of Fox Superfuel through it, I ran at least *40 gallons* of X-Cel Hobbies 5% (mixed by Lew McFarland) through it, and it has only, at most, been brushed off with solvent and a toothbrush, no real cleaning. I guarantee my dad never cleaned it, or anything else, to any great degree, he almost aspired to be a hillbilly (despite being an exceptional engineer and effectively a VP at Westinghouse). This engine was getting tired (in *1979*) and I switched to a 1973 version to get a bit more power, but the engine pictured would still perform perfectly well. The biggest issue is that it has no practical way to attach a muffler, which was a non-issue at the time, but would probably drive me to use a later model.

Exhaust port and side:

Top of head:

If the engines you get are getting dirty or baked, you can probably assume that that something bad has gone on.

Brett

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2019, 11:00:05 PM »
Whydontchertryit withthecarb onit , WFO . Tosee .

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2019, 08:13:28 AM »
    Hello Matt:

I had the idea of running the ringed engine with the original carb installed.  This may give an indication as to what the problem may be.  For some perverse reason, I am leaning towards suspecting the air/fuel system as being faulty.  What else has been modified in both of these engines? The answer is nothing.  However, one must resist the inclination to only focus on one solution. 

Do not be bound by reality!

Frank
  I

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2019, 09:13:47 AM »
    Hello Matt:

I had the idea of running the ringed engine with the original carb installed.  This may give an indication as to what the problem may be.  For some perverse reason, I am leaning towards suspecting the air/fuel system as being faulty.  What else has been modified in both of these engines? The answer is nothing.  However, one must resist the inclination to only focus on one solution. 

At this point, you have *no idea* what might have been done to it - it could be anything. Unless you have measured something wrong, as Randy suggested many posts ago, *the venturi is not the problem*, period, because a 46SF should turn *4000 RPM* more than it does on a .281 venturi. Even a really tired one. It's not some special circumstance that is unique to you, or tolerance stackup, or slight variations. Something is *grossly wrong*, it's not subtle.   That means that *something else is wrong*, we don't know what, but that should be determined and corrected.

If you put in a giant venturi and get the power back, you have now added another modification on top of whatever else is wrong, you didn't "fix it", you broke it some more - because there is very little chance you are going to be successful in flight with a venturi 3x the choke area of David Fitzgerald's WC-winning PA75.

Of course, you can do whatever you want, it's your engine, but there is no mysterious magic engine thing that makes them run 4000 rpm different from everyone else's and thus requires some unique new physics or secret engine guru knowledge to resolve.

Brett

p.s. Remove the venturi and see if the shank of a conventional 9/32 drill will go through it. I measured several of them, and the shanks were all around .2795-.2800", with the cutting edge at the expected .2815+- a few tenths. Then take a micrometer, calipers, whatever you have, and measure the diameter of the spraybar within .002"
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 03:53:53 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 10:38:39 PM »

we have the tecnology we can rebuild him . !  :-X

« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 06:22:06 PM by Matt Spencer »

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 11:25:14 PM »
As promised, the engine report. ....

Summarizing -  "modified" (by swapping parts, including the wrong parts, and by grinding), clearly disassembled and reassembled multiple times, and worn out.

Since I don't actually know, is the bore the same between the 46 and the 40, or is it different (meaning the 40 head would be a rattle-fit in the 46, and exhibit abnormally low compression ratio)?  If so, don't dismiss the possibility that this was an intentional modification attempting to lower the compression *on purpose*, because I have seen people do that. Although more likely is that these were Frankenmotors assembled from whatever parts were on hand, to make them nominally "complete".

Brett

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2019, 10:18:58 AM »
       One thing that I noticed about the ABC engine is that the inside of the head is CLEAN and has a 40 cast into the bottom.  I seems to fit the liner perfectly???

Not to flog a dead horse, Frank, but just for future reference, the portion of the head that goes into the liner should be a very close slip fit, ideally to the point that it's hard to push into the liner if it gets cocked even slightly sideways - nearly the same as the piston fit. Under .001" clearance. Production engines don't have this, but the semi-custom engines like the RO-Jett and PA, the head/head button is fitted to each particular liner, and they are sometimes very difficult to get started straight enough to go in. I just tried to measure it, and while I can measure to a few ten-thousandths of an inch, a defunct RO-Jet 61 liner and head measure the same to the tenth. With both parts at the same temperature, I would guess its about .0002-3 interference fit, that is, a very light press fit.

I don't know the exact dimensions, but making some guesses, making a 46 out of a 40 by just increasing the bore will probably result in more than .020" difference in the diameter of the cylinder - which is so much that is this alone could probably cause your lost performance. The extra space reduces the combustion pressure but is otherwise useless for burning fuel, it's much worse than just grinding out the combustion chamber or adding head gaskets, since more-or-less no fuel/air mix ever gets there, it's just dead space.

What is very likely is that someone had some engine parts lying around, the holes lined up, so they just put the parts together to make nominally complete engines, to sell them - a Frankenmotor.  Don't blame the guy you bought it from, he may have gotten them that way, too. But I *have* seen people do things like put "40" heads on "46" engines on purpose, to "reduce the compression" which has inexplicably become Step 1 in the 12-step plan to "make it a real stunt motor", i.e. screw up an otherwise perfectly good engine and make them run like crap. Mission Accomplished! 

That's why they tend to get passed around from person-to-person-to-person, it doesn't work, they sell it, it still doesn't work, the next guy sells it, etc. There's a Fox 45 "Compact" around here that I have seen 4-5 different times, different people have it every time, it still has the same issues, and has gotten sold multiple times. I haven't seen it in about 10 years, maybe someone finally put it out of its misery.

I am sure Randy has all the parts and compete engines, if you want one. As noted, it would be possible to machine a new head, or to sleeve the existing head, to make it fit. But, given that one of them is worn out, the other also needs a new liner, and there are many other, better, stunt engines widely available, you have to question whether fixing it makes sense.

Brett

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2019, 03:00:46 PM »
      Hello Walt and others:

Thanks for all of help.

What I have is two engines that I do not need or wish to invest more money to get them to run.

It may be fun (expensive) to return them to their former glory but ...  I have no idea what parts will fit or a source.  The cost of replacement parts may be prohibitive.

Suggestions/comments

Be well,

Frank McCune

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2019, 03:38:30 PM »
  Summarizing -  "modified" (by swapping parts, including the wrong parts, and by grinding), clearly disassembled and reassembled multiple times, and worn out.

Since I don't actually know, is the bore the same between the 46 and the 40, or is it different (meaning the 40 head would be a rattle-fit in the 46, and exhibit abnormally low compression ratio)?  If so, don't dismiss the possibility that this was an intentional modification attempting to lower the compression *on purpose*, because I have seen people do that. Although more likely is that these were Frankenmotors assembled from whatever parts were on hand, to make them nominally "complete".

Brett

Brett  the  46 has a  larger  bore, so  YES  it would be  a  rattle fit, this would cut power a lot

Randy

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2019, 05:10:56 PM »
Brett  the  46 has a  larger  bore, so  YES  it would be  a  rattle fit, this would cut power a lot

The sad thing is that I have seen this done on purpose because everybody knows that lower compression is better.

Just for a reference, what was/is the tolerance on the head fit into the cylinder for a PA? I know it has to be *exactly* straight or it won't go in, or it binds.

Brett

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2019, 08:25:47 AM »
I take such tolerances from F3D engines, and Randy’s PA’s seem to have similar background. For cylinder/head fit 0,005mm (about 0.0002”) ř clearance is good. as you said, it has to be straight to get it in.
In running temperature the play goes to zero or a micron or 2 negative. L

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2019, 09:02:55 AM »
I take such tolerances from F3D engines, and Randy’s PA’s seem to have similar background. For cylinder/head fit 0,005mm (about 0.0002”) ř clearance is good. as you said, it has to be straight to get it in.
In running temperature the play goes to zero or a micron or 2 negative. L

That sounds about right.  Production engines like the SF, it's maybe .001" or so, I would guess, just to make sure any head fits any liner. But not .020.

Such tolerances are essentially impossible to measure with anything you can easily get. Just holding the head in your hand and warming it up a bit will cause it to expand more than .0002. I can probably measure ODs to that accuracy with a very good micrometer, but not bores, which I probably don't believe to better than about .001. Probably need a tri-mic, which I don't have. You can't get those sorts of tolerance with a telescoping gauge.

That's why the manufacturers like OS astound me with achieving these sorts of tolerances in a production environment without hand-fitting. Cox was noted for it, too, and that was in the 50's/60's.

But it's a great idea to grind on things at a picnic table with a Dremel tool, apparently.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2019, 05:31:51 PM »
Randy, do you have a piston/sleeve for the SF 46, does the VF 46 or the AX 46 liner fit? 

Frank,
If you're not going to use them I could just put them back together in the best configuration. The ABN would run better and the ring would run worse or be a parts engine. Then later if you find a piston/sleeve for the ABN you could just install it yourself knowing everything else is correct. 

Motorman 8)

I will look to see  what I have, I have bearings and other parts  for the  SF, they are not  the same as the  OS VFs
I made  AAC  setups for both 40 and  46  in small quantities  BUT  I think those are all gone

Randy

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2019, 10:02:04 PM »
Think theyre the FSR bearings . If Not the Thunder Tiger . 46 pro fit . For those indisposed to spend on other than Swiss or German bearings , Anachronists & the like . Such is now globalism. They Say .
Asked for SKF here . Swiss ?  , A/. " Theyll come from where they come from - SKF have factorys all over the planet, these days . Size specific to factory " - pretty much . SKF China ?  :( :-\ Dunno .

The one vital ( or a vital ) component for not settling for second best in revovling apparatus , was the best bearings available . In the 70s , Swiss or German .

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2019, 05:20:23 PM »
Put the engines back together and ran them both with the good head. Used a Randy TT 11-4.5 which I believe is the right prop for these. 10% fuel and peaked the needle for all I could get.

ABC With muffler 10,300  No muffler 12,300

Ringed  No muffler 12,300

Both of those are on the very weak side of normal, which is about what you would expect given their state of repair. 10300 w/muffler is off about 1500 rpm, which, given the circumstances, is about right. A new engine will pretty easily spin that prop 12000+.

That's not a particularly good prop for it, I think the last time I assisted, the guy ended up running something like a 12.5-3.75 Eather 2-blade. The little 11.5-4 is OK for the LA, but a properly-working SF is much more powerful. The closest commonly-available prop is the APC 12.25-3.75, which was requested to be made by David Fitzgerald for a piped 46VF.

Note also that the muffler is restrictive, as previously noted, but you might ask yourself what you are going to do with a 46SF that turns a 11.5-4 at 14,000+ RPM, at least on a stunt plane (which is what you would get with less or no restriction and an otherwise correct engine). Turning the needle will not fix that problem, at least not once it leaves the ground.

Our solution - arrived at at the El Cerrito Flying Dons "Eat Chili and Fly Day" in about 1996 - was to ream out the hole in the muffler to about .312 (5/16) with a Fox prop reamer,  which is about as big as you can get it without removing the stinger entirely. "Our" being Ted Fancher and myself, on Bill Howe's 46SF. That was more than adequate to fly a 720 square inch airplane.

That's why its rear-exhaust stablemate (40VF) uses a tuned pipe.

Brett

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2019, 09:12:21 PM »
Sorry to resurect our little NIGHTMARE ,  VD~

Looks like a LA 46 Piston & liner ( and rod ? ) might interchange with a SF 46 .
Obviously the LA has no boost ( third ) port . So this brings up a few questions .
If a LA is so marvelous , can a SF sans boost emulate its useability .

( my clone is a powerhouse , but that may be the fuel , the rate it burns it, anyway .  >:( ;D )

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2019, 02:53:25 PM »
Sorry to resurect our little NIGHTMARE ,  VD~

Looks like a LA 46 Piston & liner ( and rod ? ) might interchange with a SF 46 .
Obviously the LA has no boost ( third ) port . So this brings up a few questions .
If a LA is so marvelous , can a SF sans boost emulate its useability .

( my clone is a powerhouse , but that may be the fuel , the rate it burns it, anyway .  >:( ;D )

The  OS LA  46  P/S  is  not  a  match for the  SF 46

Randy

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2019, 09:01:14 PM »
Well , yes & no . Nothings impossable ! ?  :-\ LL~

tried a quick swap , last night . Respective liners ( Royal LS 46 & OS LA 46 blue ) interchange . port top hight to flange underside match .
Liner Lengths near identical .

TOP FLANGE vastly thinner on LA .

And as someone mayve mentioned somewhere , the OS only allows 0.1 mm ' liner drop ' if any , before S P I becomes apparent .
So youd likely get say 0.8 mm S P I , thrown in stock . Not Allowing for anything with the Conrod Length , as they may vary .

Likely the SF 40 cranks 18.4 stroke ?? , So the SF 46 Block with the 40 crank & the LA P/L might work o.k. ,

( Er , dosnt appear to be , youd have to throw in a FSR 40 crank , to match the LA 35/40/46 stroke . ) ::)

With a CUSTOM HEAD , or the SF head ' banded ' to the 23 mm bore .

BORE !? , only be worthwhile ? maybe ? , if you had a SF 46 case , a SF 40 crank , & a L A 46 P/L laying about .
As it'd still be a 46 after all that effort albeit more ' undersquare ' .

Tho maybe if you used a S Tigre 51 piston , It wouldnt get S P I with the 20 mm strooke , so youd have a 53 ! .  VD~ S?P LL~

Which brings us to those magnum 53 things ! That might be whattheyare , 23 bore SF based contraptions  ? .
Maybe that P/L & head might go in . Maybe .
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 09:24:00 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2019, 11:13:57 AM »
point the tach at an incandescent light.  It should read 3600rpm   60cycles/second x 60 seconds in a minute
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here