News:

• April 23, 2024, 11:50:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking for crankcase leaks  (Read 814 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Looking for crankcase leaks
« on: October 21, 2018, 10:28:07 PM »
How do the engine experts look for crankcase leaks?  I've got a pair of Fox 40 Schnuerle-porteds, one of which I'm thinking of putting into a scale plane.  The other one runs crappy and doesn't give a "puff" when the transfer port opens.  I'm pretty sure it's leaking out the front seal (it certainly barfs lots of raw fuel out the front when I try to run it!) but I'd like to make sure.

All I can think of is to find a position where the transfer is open and the intake closed, put a muffler on it, and blow into the exhaust while looking for leaks.  Is there a better way?

Thanks.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Re: Looking for crankcase leaks
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 11:41:29 PM »
Syringe instead of blowing, and in a pool of alcohol. Test a good one, that'll be your "allowable" amount of bubbles.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 09:03:07 AM »
It's a bushed engine, although it's certainly big enough to have ball bearings.  I suspect it's in the same case as a 60! 

I think the other one is good -- I'm going to get it on the test stand and see if it'll work well enough for a scale plane.  If it does, then the leaky one is for spare parts only.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 11:13:29 AM »
I have a NIB Fox 40 bushing motor. R/C but that isn't a problem with a carb switch. Just a heads up if you cant reconcile the problem.

Dennis

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 11:36:27 AM »
I have a NIB Fox 40 bushing motor. R/C but that isn't a problem with a carb switch. Just a heads up if you cant reconcile the problem.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis.  It's for a scale plane, so the carb isn't even an issue!

My engine has the carb on a flange, though -- am I mistaken about it being a bushing engine?
AMA 64232

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 02:13:57 PM »
Tim,

The flange mounted carb is from an earlier version. Did it have the over/under muffler or exhaust flange mount and was it a little larger or the same as the one I show. Parts are not to the best of my knowledge interchangeable in any way.

Dennis

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 05:52:49 PM »
Tim,

The flange mounted carb is from an earlier version. Did it have the over/under muffler or exhaust flange mount and was it a little larger or the same as the one I show. Parts are not to the best of my knowledge interchangeable in any way.

Dennis

This engine.
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here