News:

• April 19, 2024, 02:14:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: L&J Fox 35  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
L&J Fox 35
« on: May 22, 2021, 03:54:23 PM »
I picked up a brand new L&J Fox and it needs to be broken in so I thought I would use a stock cylinder head for the break in. When I took the L&J hemi head off, it didn't have a head gasket. Was this normal?

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: L&J Fox 35
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 07:43:50 PM »
I picked up a brand new L&J Fox and it needs to be broken in so I thought I would use a stock cylinder head for the break in. When I took the L&J hemi head off, it didn't have a head gasket. Was this normal?

Probably stuck in the head, but maybe not. The goal is to jack up the compression  - to a *moderate* compression level - from the extremely low stock configuration. But why would you take it apart and change heads to break it in?  I would very strongly recommend putting it back together, taking great care to get the head screw torque even, and then just run it as per the instructions Larry provided.

Brett

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 07:58:50 PM »
I just checked, no shim in mine. (I took the head off a couple of weeks ago, different story :) )

I still have Larry's email from when I bought the motor, here is what he said about head shims:

I also put a head gasket  and a set of head bolts with the motor.
 This one is really strong and if it wants to speed up in the maneuvers drop the gasket in. If your remove the head torque it down in a star pattern.

MAAC 8177

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 06:13:05 AM »
Thanks Pat, I've never seen that before except on Enyas-no head gasket. Unlike a stock Fox head, there is no channel around the combustion chamber on an L&J hemi head to hold a gasket so it is easily apparent if there is a gasket present.

I have the engine back together with a stock head and will break it in and fly it. It feels good. Later I might put the L&J on it to see the difference. With the L&J head there is so much compression that it feels like a diesel.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 07:47:34 AM »
  It should break in fairly quickly. Larry just hand fitted the parts better, adding some clearance where needed and leaving things tight at the top of the stroke. He balanced the crank, stuffed the bypass and added the head and stuffer back plate, and cleaned up the venturi if it needed it. I think he had access to the Fox factory to the better fitting engines to start with. There was a fact sheet floating around with detail on how he did all of this and is probably on the forum here in an old thread from SH early days. If a person can come up with the head and back plate, the rest isn't very difficult for some one with a modicum of skill to do on their own if they have some good instruction.. Have fun with it!
    Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 07:55:30 AM »
Thanks Pat, I've never seen that before except on Enyas-no head gasket. Unlike a stock Fox head, there is no channel around the combustion chamber on an L&J hemi head to hold a gasket so it is easily apparent if there is a gasket present.

I have the engine back together with a stock head and will break it in and fly it. It feels good. Later I might put the L&J on it to see the difference. With the L&J head there is so much compression that it feels like a diesel.

It's fine that way, you want that. That's probably the only modification that gains any significant power., causing it to hold a 4-stroke to much higher RPM, and increasing the break (which is mostly noise and very little power change with the stock system) .

Brett

p. s. If you do later change heads you will have at least some running to do before it settles down again, maybe 30-40 flights or so to make sure. The problem with doing any change to a Fox is that it is so light and flimsy that it changes shape every time you change anything, like tighten the head screws. The rule for Foxes is that it will run the same way nearly forever, but any change, even a seemingly innocent one, and all bets are off.

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 08:03:52 AM »
Thanks Brett.

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2021, 10:56:32 AM »
This engine didn't have any preservative oil in it, just a little residual dried up castor. I'm well aware of the difference. And I'm not worried about wearing my cylinder heads out by switching them.

Offline ericrule

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2021, 11:35:14 AM »
Hi Steve;

The hemi head on your L&J Fox .35 was custom made for RSM Distribution from the design created by Larry Foster and Randy Smith. It was not supposed to have a head gasket. After the design was around for a number of years  Larry Foster did some tests with added gaskets. No big difference with the exception of speeding up the break (as was mentioned in an earlier post).

As per Brett's comment regarding screwing down the head he is absolutely correct about the thin crank case. If you tighten the bolts down too much you can twist the crank case. If you decide to screw the head bolts down please always use a torque wrench so you get the bolts all at the same pressure!!!!! The flimsy crank case is also the reason that you L&J Fox .35 has mounting lugs that have been machined flat on the bottom so they create a solid firm mount against the motor mounts.

Dan is correct about access to the Fox factory. I was able to obtain individual parts from Fox for the 1800 L&J engines Larry ran up for RSM Distribution. We even went so far as to obtain oversize pistons so Larry could switch out piston and liners to make certain the fit was the best one available. This was done prior to the hand lapping of the piston to the liner. No L&J Fox .35 was ever made out of an existing engine so all of the parts had never been run until after the L&J was completed and only then was a bench test done.

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2021, 01:49:50 PM »
Here are Larry Foster's words on breaking in his engines.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2021, 04:25:58 PM »
      It's fine that way, you want that. That's probably the only modification that gains any significant power., causing it to hold a 4-stroke to much higher RPM, and increasing the break (which is mostly noise and very little power change with the stock system) .

Brett

p. s. If you do later change heads you will have at least some running to do before it settles down again, maybe 30-40 flights or so to make sure. The problem with doing any change to a Fox is that it is so light and flimsy that it changes shape every time you change anything, like tighten the head screws. The rule for Foxes is that it will run the same way nearly forever, but any change, even a seemingly innocent one, and all bets are off.

Noted combat flyer, the late Gary Frost, gave me my first Fox.35 lessons. Brand new ones out of the box were taken apart. he called them "engine kits" !!. The first thing we did with them was chased all the threaded holes with a good 4-40 tap. Didn't make them any deeper or anything, just chased the threads. You would be surprised how much metal could be removed with that simple task. Duke was cheap, and would make use of a tap as long as it would cut some kind of threads. Put a new bolt into crappy threads and you can have a problem! One of the reasons you get the difference when you make any changes. He taught me to feel for a decent toque when tightening things down, and mainly to assemble the whole engine with the bolts snug before doing any cross pattern torqueing. The whole routine is here on the forums some where, but I found that once a Fox .35 was given this treatment, it did run smoother, cooler and much more consistent and broke  in easier. We ditched the cork gasket for the back plate also. This was all before the hemi head and stuffer back plate.                               
 Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2021, 05:12:00 PM »
    I formatted the text above, and made minor edits for typos, otherwise, Larry Foster's instructions:

"Most Asked Question About the Fox 35"

I have been reworking Fox 35's since 1985. I've been asked a lot of questions about the Fox 35. Here is some of the most frequent asked questions and the answers I give. Let me state that my way is not the only way to have success with a Fox 35 but what I recommend from flying this motor, hundreds of hours of testing on the bench and reworking hundreds of motors.

What is the easiest way to improve a Fox 35?

Until Randy Smith came out with the Hi-Zoot crankshaft there wasn't an easy answer to this.
Now it's simple, install the Hi-Zoot crankshaft.
The biggest improvement gained in reworking a new or good Fox 35 was to reshape the crankshaft to reduce vibration and add counter weight. With Randy Smith's crankshaft this is already done for you. To date I have never found a Stock Fox crankshaft that was straight and ground true. Randy's crankshaft is straight, true and has counter weight added in the proper place. By adding
counter weight the motor has more torque which is what we want in a traditional stunt run. By making the bearing surface area true it saves the front bushing. The effective balance of the crankshaft reduces vibration, any reduction in vibration increases power.

How important is the piston and liner seal?

It is the single most important thing for a good running Fox 35. Always check the piston seal on a hot motor. Run it for at least two minutes. Check it right after shutting it off. Pull the prop slowly through compression. It should not lose compression during this time.

How important is truing the mounting lugs?

Unless you have an extremely rigid motor mount it shouldn't affect the running of the motor. If you don't assemble your motor mount with the motor bolted to the mounts then it can cause stress on your airplane. I true the mounts to save the plane not the motor.

Is the Hemi-Back plate worth the money?

Yes!
The Hemi Back plate was designed by Marvin Denny. Its CNC machined and is anodized. It gives a better surface for the rod to ride against. Another benefit is it reduces the crankcase area and increases fuel draw.

Is a Hemi-Head worth the money?

Yes!

Marvin Denny designed the one for Fox. Although it's not exactly as Marvin designed it, it still helps. Several people have done a better job on producing the Hemi-head then Fox, due to better machine work. There are different Hemi configurations and plug placement but all of them well enhance performance. Some better than others.

What fuel should I run?

I recommend at least 10% nitro and no less than 28% oil. I recommend also running 2 to 5% synthetic to keep the motor clean. DO NOT run synthetic in a motor that has run a lot of all castor in it. I also recommend adding 1 ounce of AERO-1 fuel additive. This w[ll give added protection against a lean run and add life to the motor. The Fox 35 is very thinned skinned and requires a high amount of oil to cool it. This is the reason that you should run at mostly all castor. Castor well carry the heat out of the motor.

Can I run more than 10% nitro fuel?

Yes!

I personally run 15% in my motors. The Fox 35 runs cooler and produces more power with the higher nitro. The draw back is more stress on the crankshaft. Don't run 15% if your using a prop extension.

Should I run a prop extension?

Should you? NO
Can you? Yes
Remember that the Fox Crank shaft is weak. You take a chance of breaking the crank shaft anytime you run the motor much more if you use an extension.

What Plug Should I Run?

Any plug in a high heat range. Thunder Bolt R/C. I run the Glow Devil 300. The Fox Miracle plug is a hot plug, I don't like the quality.

What kind of muffler should I run?

As little as possible. I do not recommend the stock muffler due to high back pressure. I recommend the RSM tongue muffler.

How do I Break-in a stock Fox 35?

Slowly!

Do not run it sloppy rich. Running the motor sloppy rich can damage the rod.

Here is what I recommend.

Use a 10X4 Prop (not wood as you will most likely break it)
Fuel the motor with 2 ounces.
Set it in a fast four cycle but do not let it break into a two cycle...
Let the motor cool down completely
Repeat this 5 times.
Total fuel 12 ounces.

Using the same prop fuel the motor with 4 ounces.
Again run it in a fast four cycle but do not let it break into a two cycle.
Let the motor cool down completely
Repeat this 4 times.
Total fuel 20 ounces.

Change the propeller to a 10X6
Fuel the motor with four ounces of fuel.
Turn the needle valve out one turn.
Set it to run in a strong four cycle but do not let it break into a two cycle, also do not run it sloppy rich.
Let the motor cool down completely.
Repeat this 5 times.
Total fuel 24 ounces.

This should give you about 1.5 hours of running.
Replace the glow plug
Set the first couple of flights richer then normal until you know how it well perform in the air.

Hope this Helps!

Larry Foster

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2021, 07:25:41 PM »
  This ought to be pinned in the engine section some where. Make it easy for people to find. I think I first met Larry at a VSC years ago, when Sean was able to go along with me that year.  I met Larry there and he gifted and engine to Sean. Reading the instructions and such was where I think I first heard of the Glow Devil R/C long plug and running higher nitro in a Fox .35.  Sean flew the heck out of that engine and I think I found the crank case and some of it's parts in a box when looking for something else several years ago. Don't know what happened to it, but it served him well through the Beginner and Intermediate classes. I have since acquired a few more and use them in OTS models.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here