Engine basics > Engine set up tips

List "YOUR" set up for the OS .46LA

<< < (2/22) > >>

Bill Little:
My purpose is to gather information in one thread so that fliers (like Frank has already contributed) can see what different people are doing and have a "clue" when they start to use theirs.  The OS .46LA is very popular (as it should be ;D ) but not many people actually ever say "how" they have set theirs up or how they "run" them.  Just, "I put an OS .46LA in the Nobler............"

Prop, fuel, venturi, NVA, muffler (yes, Steve, I should have included that ;D ), type of run, etc., used will give people a start point.  Too often we are guilty of just saying "use a LA .46" which leaves questions in some minds.  Putting these set ups in a single thread will save time, IMHO, for those who have not used the .46LA yet.

Mark Scarborough:
Bill
with all due respect, I have listed my setup ( Pat Johnstons actually ) many times, in fact most every time the subject of the LA46 comes up online,,
but fwiw,,
.272 venturi
ST needle assembly ( or Randy)
Powermaster 10 22 GMA fuel
good thourough break in!!!!
and the key,, an APC 12.25 x 34.75 prop
Ground setting is typically right around 9800 rpm

we tried to run them with 11x4, 11x5, 11.5 x 5 and all kinds of stuff, including the 12x4, with all the other setups, the engine had a tendancy to go over rich, or lean with small variations in needle settings, specifically a few hundred rpm could make a HUGE difference in flight times. Once we set upon the 12.25x3.75, ran them wet two stroke, those issues all went away.

Allan Perret:

--- Quote from: Mark Scarborough on April 04, 2011, 03:27:34 PM ---good thourough break in!!!!

--- End quote ---
How much bench time do you consider a "good thourough break in"  ?

Mark Scarborough:
Allan,
on the LA engines, I read a lot of people that run a couple tanks through them, I think I ran most of mine about 25 minutes combined before I flew them. They will fly sooner, but you end up messing with minor inconsistencies in flight and I don't need any help being inconsistent!

John Miller:

--- Quote from: Mark Scarborough on April 04, 2011, 03:27:34 PM ---Bill
with all due respect, I have listed my setup ( Pat Johnstons actually ) many times, in fact most every time the subject of the LA46 comes up online,,
but fwiw,,
.272 venturi
ST needle assembly ( or Randy)
Powermaster 10 22 GMA fuel
good thourough break in!!!!
and the key,, an APC 12.25 x 34.75 prop
Ground setting is typically right around 9800 rpm

we tried to run them with 11x4, 11x5, 11.5 x 5 and all kinds of stuff, including the 12x4, with all the other setups, the engine had a tendancy to go over rich, or lean with small variations in needle settings, specifically a few hundred rpm could make a HUGE difference in flight times. Once we set upon the 12.25x3.75, ran them wet two stroke, those issues all went away.

--- End quote ---

Gee Mark, a 12.25 X 34.75 prop, not figuring for slippage, and assuming the engine has enough ponies to spin that prop that fast, I figure level lap, flight speed of over 322 mph. S?P LL~ LL~ LL~

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version