News:

• April 18, 2024, 02:30:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: “Lint” in fuel supply??  (Read 1491 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
“Lint” in fuel supply??
« on: November 05, 2021, 05:57:37 PM »
     Hello All:

What would cause a very fine dryer looking lint to form in my fuel? This results in the fuel filter being clogged to a point where fuel is difficult to pump from the plastic jug to the fuel tank.  This has happened in the past. 

Is there something growing in my one gallon bottle of fuel?  The lint looks off white in color and made of many very small fibers.  The mass may be easily removed from the filter screen.

Any suggestion/comments?  Oh yes, I do mix my own fuel.

Tia,

Frank

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
Re: “Lint” in fuel supply??
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 06:11:56 PM »
I have this issue as well.  I heard it is from the castor oil.  There are small fibers that look like lint, gray in color.  As long as you filter it before going into the tank there will be no problem.  I have to open the filter (one of those two-piece filters with the rubber seal) periodically to clean the screen.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 06:48:36 PM »
     This is a result of actor oil in your fuel. The castor bean is a relative of the soy bean, and we all know that you can make anything from a sweater, to a soda bottle to a hamburger from soy beans. It's similar with castor beans. As the fuel flows through fin mesh screens and small passages, it extrudes the fibers from the oil over time, and will build up to a point where it won't flow. I had to clean out my pre-filter on my syringe this afternoon, also.  This is also why I run a filter in the models I fly also, to give this some place to happen other than the spray bar. the only way around it is to run all synthetic oil or fly electric. I just try to clean filters whenever I think about it as a preventive measure.
     Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 08:28:18 AM »
         Hi All:

Thanks for the replies.  I am happy to hear that other people have experienced this curse.  Is there anyway that this can be avoided?

Stay curious,

Frank

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 10:32:57 AM »
         Hi All:

Thanks for the replies.  I am happy to hear that other people have experienced this curse.  Is there anyway that this can be avoided?

Stay curious,

Frank

Did you read my post Frank?
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 05:36:31 PM »
I fly small. My potion is poured through a coffee filter as I mix, oil first, then commercial fuel, then methanol. The bulk-mix is stored in a brown glass quart medicine bottle with screw-on cap, and then each time I pull from the mix into my flight bottle. A fresh coffee filter is used at the mix time, and at each time I pull my day's fuel from the quart.

The commercial fuel and methanol are kept in plastic gallon jugs with well-sealing plastic plugs in the mouth of the jugs, just like new fuel. All is kept in a dark room.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 04:39:11 AM »
I have had that exact problem but only with Sig fuel. And it happened many years ago.

Never an issue with Powermaster or Brodak fuel.
Still, however, no matter what I use, it gets filtered from syringe to tank and from tank to engine.

Bob Z.

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2021, 08:49:52 AM »
      Hi Dan:

Of course I read your post! I read and enjoy all of your posts.

Thanks for the aid.

Frank

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2021, 08:58:46 AM »
     Hello Again:

For some reason, my fuel will NOT pass through a paper coffee filter.  What is up with that? Lol

Frank

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2021, 10:50:13 AM »
     Hello Again:

For some reason, my fuel will NOT pass through a paper coffee filter.  What is up with that? Lol

Frank

Make sure you don't have more than one stuck together, easy enough to do. Coffee filter won't pass liquid very fast because they are not meant to do that on purpose. When making coffee, the water needs to steep in the coffee grounds in order for coffee to be soaked out of it and then drip down into the pot. You need a funnel big enough to let the coffee filter sit in there sort of naturally. Once it is soaked with fuel it will drip through a little faster. Paint filters are an option for thicker viscosity liquids, and maybe even some other kind of fine mesh in the paint filter for straining fuel. Look around at the kitchen appliance and utensil section of the department stores for ideas.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2021, 11:59:16 AM »
What about paint filters available from auto paint stores?  One store near me has different mesh screens available.  I guess it depends on your definition of coarse and fine mesh.

I just live with the lint in the castor and clean the filter screen as needed.

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2021, 01:48:47 PM »
     For some reason, my fuel will NOT pass through a paper coffee filter.  What is up with that?

Mr. Frank,
The plastic funnel hat holds the filter has a DIY-cut circle of perforated aluminum plate the right size to hold the filter up off of the funnel surface. The circle of aluminum is about the size of the flat base of the filter. Yes, it takes a bit of time to filter through...it won't be fast.

Another way to get an air gap would be to use regular, bare aluminum screen between the filter and funnel. You need an air gap so the surface of the filter doesn't plaster itself to the funnel,.thus causing a filter to, well, not filter!

Look in a typical auto-drip coffee maker basket. You should see ribs that basically accomplish the same thing. These are those ribs that make washing the basket difficult.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 06:13:35 PM by 944_Jim »

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2021, 03:33:56 PM »
The only fuel I've had problems with white flakes (not strings) was FHS Red Max all castor fuel. They claimed it was from synthetically processed castor...which was the cheaper way. That was back in the 1990s. You could filter a gallon today and the flakes would be back tomorrow. What brand castor are you mixing with?
Bill P.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here