News:

• April 16, 2024, 08:00:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LA .46 Muffler - Original vs. Chip  (Read 785 times)

Online Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
LA .46 Muffler - Original vs. Chip
« on: July 14, 2019, 09:01:32 PM »
So I have this plane that needs some nose weight.  Right now I am using a heavy prop hub.  However, I am thinking that switching from the chip/tongue muffler I've been using to the original O.S. Muffler might also be a way to get some nose weight.

The question:  Which muffler type is better for the engine run?  How would the run vary?  I've only used a chip type on the L.A. .46, and been pretty happy, except for some castor varnish build-up here and there which I remove periodically via antifreeze/crock pot method.

thanks,

Peter

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: LA .46 Muffler - Original vs. Chip
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 09:15:05 PM »
   On the two airplanes I have LA.46's on, i use the stock muffler, which is the 3030 version. Any muffler that would fit it would be useful. I think you will see a slight improvement in the run as the stock muffler has greater volume and will let the engine breath better. The 3030 has the cone in it like the 2030 that is part of the Brett Buck set up for the FP-20, and you may want to experiment with taking it out after getting some flight to see if there is any change. There are a couple more OS mufflers that will fit also along with the Tower Hobbies .40 unit that is supposed to be a bit lighter, but you need nose weight any way. That's my 2 cents worth.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 07:57:08 AM »
The  Thunder Tiger  36  39  muffler  with fit, as will  the Webra  36 , FOX 35 muffler  , and most all of the  heli based  engines, The  old  FP  C/L muffler that is  fairly light will also fit, but it will need  to be opened up to work, as its  very restrictive

Randy

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 10:48:30 AM »
I've used all of the mentioned mufflers on the OS46LA.  The best overall engine run happened with a Scott Dinger tube muffler.  (They also look good). 
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 05:56:32 PM »
I've only used the stock .46LA muffler on a Magnum XLS .36 (the Twister needed the nose weight), which worked extremely well. The folks I've seen run the stock .46LA muffler always seemed to set off too lean and sag during the tricks, so I would be prepared to open up the outlet tube. I would be reluctant to either remove or open up the hole in "the cone of silence" unless I had a spare or two.  n1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here