News:

• May 03, 2024, 12:07:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Would this make a good stunt engine.  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Would this make a good stunt engine.
« on: December 22, 2010, 08:17:50 PM »
Well good enough for a profile plane?
All it has on the case is OS Max.

I think it may be a 25, but nothing is stamped on the case.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Would this make a good stunt engine.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 08:33:31 PM »
No Paul, you wouldn't like it!!  Send a PM for the ship to address!!   LL~       Merry Christmas,  Ray
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 09:59:24 PM »
Hi Paul,

It sure looks like the .25FSR I have.  I think you could use it if you put on a 10-4 and let it run in a wet 2.  The one i have can put out more "power" than a Fox .35.  But it's a different kind of power. ;D  I put it on an old slow combat plane and ran it kinda hard, but not peaked, with a 10-4.  It was quick.......

Merry Christmas!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Pat Johnston

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 06:07:58 AM »
Paul, the problem with this sort of engine is that it likely weighs as much as an LA46 and will not swing that 11-12" prop which is so satisfying for producing gobs of torque.  This translates into raw pulling power through the maneuvers, especially in corners where the barn door is throw open, creating a lot of drag.  The big props pull the plane through the maneuvers so well.  Engines like the LA46 can be had for way less than a "C-note", so in my book are a bargain.
Pat Johnston
Love them 46's
Skunk Works

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 09:43:55 AM »
Well good enough for a profile plane?
All it has on the case is OS Max.

I think it may be a 25, but nothing is stamped on the case.

I think that's a 25FSR, or the later 25F. I don't have any particular information since I am not aware of anyone using it for stunt. But I would expect that you can get pretty good performance if you set it up right. I would start with about a 260 venturi with an OS needle, and a 10-4 APC. The same basic idea I suggested for the ST G34 is how I would proceed.

Most of these so-called "R/C" motors can be excellent stunt engines as long as you run them at relatively high RPM as they were designed.

Brett

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 10:32:20 AM »
OK, Thanks guys!
I will try and find parts for this puppy and put it to work and report back. (When the weather warms up a tad)

Stay tuned.....

Sorry Ray. :-[
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 03:12:27 PM »
Paul, i think Brett is right on about this engine. I run two of them, one on a combat ship,bladder and 8x5 prop and one on a home made stunt job a  little larger than a ringmaster. People are always suprised at how well it pulls that stunt plane as it weighs around 36 oz. I run mine with the r/c carb wired open,10x4 apc, stock muffler and a Hayes 3 oz. tank on pressure. I think you will like it!!
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 06:22:39 PM »
Paul, i think Brett is right on about this engine. I run two of them, one on a combat ship,bladder and 8x5 prop and one on a home made stunt job a  little larger than a ringmaster. People are always suprised at how well it pulls that stunt plane as it weighs around 36 oz. I run mine with the r/c carb wired open,10x4 apc, stock muffler and a Hayes 3 oz. tank on pressure. I think you will like it!!

I would expect it to be at least as strong as a 25FP and that has no problem up to about 40 oz. But, as I mentioned, I haven't actually tried it.

Brett

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 06:55:59 PM »
Hi Paul,

If you still have a Evo 36 check the venturie to see if she'll fit. I'm using the evo 36 venturie in the OS 40 FSR and it fits like a glove. Ya just have to make a few changes to the venturie. The Evo 36 tongue muffler fits also but I'm trying to use mine on pipe. The reason I say give it a try is cause I believe the OS 40 FP and the OS 25 FP uses the same venturie. I'm always doing something stupid like this but its fun. Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 07:06:28 PM »
Gary - I don't own a Evo engine. I may rob Peter to pay Paul or do a WTB in the ad section for part.

Right now if I could find a remote spray bar that is not being used, I can get this thing running in short order.
Might lose the spinner to try and save weight.

I did find a 25 stamp on the case.
It will be going on a SkyRay35.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 12:51:38 AM »
Gary - I don't own a Evo engine. I may rob Peter to pay Paul or do a WTB in the ad section for part.

Right now if I could find a remote spray bar that is not being used, I can get this thing running in short order.
Might lose the spinner to try and save weight.

I did find a 25 stamp on the case.
It will be going on a SkyRay35.

Hi Paul,

The plane I mounted mine on is about the size of a Sky Ray, maybe a touch bigger.  Very light, though, and it has a stretched VooDoo wing..

5% nitro, APC 10-4, and a decent 2 cycle setting.  60' eye to eye .015s and 3.9 to 4 second lap times...........  The 25FSR is hotter than the .25FP.  Been there done that..........
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 02:33:36 AM »
Hi Paul,

. The reason I say give it a try is cause I believe the OS 40 FP and the OS 25 FP uses the same venturie.  Gary

Yes, but the 25 FP and 25 SF/FSR don't have the same size venturi hole in the case. The FP is smaller.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 06:09:47 AM »
8-6 MAS prop, OS 1-a remote needle valve, Venturi from a nylon spacer. Yellow jacket bladder tubing..... about 75mph...... 370-400sq inch foamie.  No not stunt but tons o' fun. 

Dave
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here