News:

• June 16, 2024, 04:13:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ST 60 Cylinder and wrist pin removal?  (Read 792 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
ST 60 Cylinder and wrist pin removal?
« on: January 28, 2020, 09:15:41 PM »
Guys,
How do you remove the cylinder and wrist pin from the ST 60? I know you need to heat the case but the exhaust port is even with the case exhaust, there is nothing to push up the sleeve to be able to pull it out. Next I know you need to remove the wrist pin through the hole in the back of the Cade but how do you get hold of it? Anyone do a video on disassembly of the ST 60?

Best,   DennisT

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
Re: ST 60 Cylinder and wrist pin removal?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 11:55:32 PM »
  Dennis ,
   I've had luck by ,   disassembling every part I'm able. Then heat the case & inserting a popsicle stick from the back & gently prying up against the bottom of the bottom of the  liner  , it will eventually come out. Then hopefully the escutcheon pin will slide out freely. I've stuck a tooth pick in the hole in the pin then pulled it out.  I had on pin frozen to the piston han to tap it & work it out. Upon reassembly reheat the case if you sand the liner to slide in it will bounce around when the engine is running.
  Hope this is of some value,         John L.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 08:30:24 PM »
Gelignite is quickest ! .

PROBLEM numero uno , is Dried Castor . Assuming its a old R C motor thrown in a draw unoiled .

There was pulse jet fuel with polypropolene , proplene dioxide and other delights , that disolved set fibreglass from paint brushes .
I figure soaking in this would be the best way to FREE IT , if STUCK .

A HEAT GUN is near essential .

Pre Organise a lever . wear gloves . Aim for 135 Degrees . Waters useless . even boiled . As a rule .
Very Carefull use of a 3/8 ish screwdriver flat , under the skirt AT the Bypass , to nudge it free .
After if hot , you can carefully lift it by the top lip / flange .

THE IDEA is to get it so the Lower Edge is just above the rear access hole for the wrist pin. So the PISTON is still SUPPORTED .

Now Comes the fun part .

Easy to break a drill tap of in it . Easy to pull out the end cap . if its truely glued up .

So a weeks pre boiling / crock potting , CRC in etc before hand on old junkers is essential .
A well maintained oiled carefully stored one should come out freely however .

ROTATE it to see if free .

Dried Castor  between rod & piston on the pin , is a culprit for sticking - all the way . Plus many are Nitro Oxidised .In Place .

Liner Out , a timber packer down ea side at the front , then forceing the pin FORWARD to start it . Then carefully pushing the piston forward .
Repeat a few times , Heating Piston & oiling / crc / penetrating oil . possable to without damadgeing piston or ring , if youre carefull .

The odd engine someones got desperate and drilled a second ' accesss hole ' in the FRONT of the case !! .

A old OS max 40 took about five days to get the thing out . Many Ex R C S Tigre are siezed in . Hence the above advice .
Tapping the cap 4-40 may help . ( a DS is tapped M 2.5 fine . )

Prime obstruction culprit is dried castor forming donuts on the wrist pin , second oxidation .

Liner may take a few heat cycles and squirts of CRC to free off .

Some loosen the case for a light hand ( thumb ) push fit .Clear out & oil the bolt holes in the case .
Clean 7 oil any oxidised / rusted screws .

Heat Gun on Prop Driver to free . And on case for bearings . Boiling water is barely adequate . And may not be .
The 135 Deg. is got with a heat gun . Free Fit at that Temp .
Leather Gloves or the Wifes best Tea Towel or Oven Mits are essential .

The 3M Green pot scourer pads are good for cleaning gunk . A bit harsh at first . But soften quickly .
Carbon up inside the piston crown usually chips off easy ish useing a screwdriver tip. Judiciously .
Likely one with soft corners so as not to scratch it .

I dress the sharp edges on the piston baffle with a knife edge , and the baffle cut ots in the head , so THEYRe not ' knife edge ' .

Very Carefully clean out the ring land . Handle end of a muddle knife blades o.k. for that . Often sit parts in thinners to soften gunk .
Singer sewing Machine oil seems good assembly lube .

Any oil on the prop driver -collet area however may see it spin till you overtighten it , and break it if its a cast one .So a dry fit there .

Normally polish the Crank & pin/s with 800 wet & dry . wet or oil . on a hard flad surface . Like a straight edge .
Use the 3M scourer twirled strip on a screwdriver or suchlike to clean out the crank induction passage ,
and ' twirls ' say 1/4 wide through rod ends and wrist pin piston holes , if they need ' De Gunk ' ing .

A really awkward one , if its been pulled out of a river , youd cut the rod or drill the piston apart .
Fit washer under sleeve , tube over case , and use a draw bolt & heat to pull the sleeve .

Theres a Hole . !

Clean any discolouring like that off the crank web . Brass wire brush or the 3 M .

Boil steel bits in pot of water with baking soda if theyre all shirty . or a two second dip in hydrochloric & imediate rinse . Disolves Aluminum
however . If you only wish to recover the ferrous parts .  S?P

>:( H^^

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 06:10:56 PM »
Ammendment :

Once youve forced the wrist pin forward ,
And it can take a hammer & punch !  :-[
Itll usually be free , or freer , on the rod ( than the piston . or youd bend it. the rod . )
A small thin screwdriver will usually go blade in front of wrist pin. Maybe a soft wire 9 3/32 welding rod , end bent across 1/4 inch,
can be lowered to just above the wrist pin , for a fulcrum .

Thus its obvious , a froze one , the longer its cleaned & oiled , the less brutal / force would be required .

One carefull owner . Only used on sundays .

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 08:40:30 PM by Air Ministry . »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 09:30:12 PM »

Just need to know the forest where the ST 60s grow .
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 06:20:12 PM by Air Ministry . »

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 09:07:47 AM »
This is probably one of the biggest barriers I have to deal with when cleaning and fixing engines.. I've done about 150 engine in the last 6 months.. The OS 40H can be a real pain... what is working for me is using LA Awesome degreaser... squirt enough into the piston well to fill it up ... engine is upside down. Let it soak over night for best results.. clean as much of the castor off the entire engine before disassembly... I crock-pot mine over night on the low setting... if the liner is hard to get out (stuck) ... heat the engine up and use a penetrating oil product on the liner .... it soak in when hot ... let is sit.. hard to get liners can be "tapped" out on the lip of the liner on the by-pass side ... I  use an 3/8th Oak dowel carved down ... if the liner moves but doesn't quite come out ... put more penetrating oil on it and push it back down (work it back and forth)... now that he liner is out ... I use a 1 7/8" drywall screw... then if things aren't moving yet ... I go to my propane torch .. this works but be patient... if you get frustrated ... put the engine away with penetrating oil ... I bag the engine with all the parts so they don't get lost...  the drywall screw should be tight enough in the wrist pin hole to "feel stuck"... the whole idea is to be able to "twist and pull" the wrist pin while it is hot... heat and patience are what has worked for me.. some dirty engines like ASPs have been real headaches to get the liners out... I even have one old OS 35S that I have given up on ... last resort for liners has been to dip the hot engine into acetone .. then oil and go at it again... don't be afraid to put the engine back into the crock pot without the head and back late ... I use Marvel Mystery Oil Penetrating oil but like the stuff the Army has that is in the OD Green can that says "penetrating oil" on the can ... that stuff is great...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 11:10:04 AM by James C. Johnson »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here