Engine basics > Engine set up tips

LA 40 woes

(1/2) > >>

Allen Eshleman:
I have a wonderful LA 40 (so far).  It started easy and ran very economically.  So far this year, I have started it twice.  By using the needle I can get it to a passable 4 stroke.  When I turn it one more notch (so to speak) and it breaks into a wet two stroke, it stops.  Randy Smith needle. Any thoughts on what might be going on?

Dan McEntee:
  Do all the usual. Clean the needle valve, change fuel line, fill the tank with fuel and let it sit over night or longer to loosen up last year's left over oil sludge.  Flush out with some acetone or thinner and try again. Then check out the glow plug, at least give it a good visual inspection, and try a new one if needed.
   If nothing else was changed over the winter and it just sat, that's all you should need to do.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

RandySmith:
YOu should  check teh glow plug,  are you running muffler  pressure ?

Allen Eshleman:
I changed the glow plug and it is running better. It 2 cycled longer.  But, I also changed the tank - it only runs to half empty.  I will tinker with the tank and plumbing some more.  I have not been using pressure.  The muffler is regular supplied muffler.  It is swinging an 11/4 prop right now.  I usually use 10 1/2 x 4 1/2.  This is all on the ground.  I haven't attempted to fly it yet.  I just remembered that it has a black plastic back plate.

Dan McEntee:

--- Quote from: Allen Eshleman on April 13, 2021, 06:32:53 PM ---I changed the glow plug and it is running better. It 2 cycled longer.  But, I also changed the tank - it only runs to half empty.  I will tinker with the tank and plumbing some more.  I have not been using pressure.  The muffler is regular supplied muffler.  It is swinging an 11/4 prop right now.  I usually use 10 1/2 x 4 1/2.  This is all on the ground.  I haven't attempted to fly it yet.  I just remembered that it has a black plastic back plate.

--- End quote ---

Just make sure the screws for the back plate are tight. Don't over do it. If suspect a leak, remove it and apply a thin coat of some silicone gasket sealer or something similar, and replace and tighten down carefully. If you are careful, there is no reason to change the back plate. The metal replacements just let you really crank the screws down, but still need a gasket and/or sealer. I have a few LA.40's in service with plastic back plates and no problems.
     Make sure you flush out the needle valve assembly and make sure no gink is stuck in there.
    Type at  you later,
      Dan McEntee

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version