News:

• April 23, 2024, 06:13:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LA 25 Rear Cover Assembly  (Read 951 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
LA 25 Rear Cover Assembly
« on: May 07, 2019, 04:11:03 PM »
I just converted an LA 25 from RC to CL by installing an NVA in place of the carburetor.  My intention was to cut off the Remote Needle valve holder leaving plenty of room around the upper screw.  Unfortunately, I dropped it and it broke off all the way to the screw and it is leaking.  The question is this would a replacement plastic backplate for 12.00 including shipping work well enough or should I invest in the aluminum one that will come in around $22.00 including shipping?   

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: LA 25 Rear Cover Assembly
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 07:44:21 PM »
   I have used plastic on LA engines with no issues, you just can't torque the screws too much. I put a washer under the head of the screw if it's an allen socket head, but the original screws come with a wide truss type head and can work, but a washer won't hurt there either. Use a good gasket or some good liquid gasket and you should be all set. Find the email address for Curtis Shipp here on the forums, as he has a pretty reasonable price for aluminum units. I have an email message in to him but have not heard back from him yet. He has his own machine shop business and is usually quite busy.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 03:30:26 PM »
I just converted an LA 25 from RC to CL by installing an NVA in place of the carburetor.  My intention was to cut off the Remote Needle valve holder leaving plenty of room around the upper screw.  Unfortunately, I dropped it and it broke off all the way to the screw and it is leaking.  The question is this would a replacement plastic backplate for 12.00 including shipping work well enough or should I invest in the aluminum one that will come in around $22.00 including shipping?

Hi Allen   if you have metal use it, if you only have  plastic, use it with silicone sealant and  blue locktight,
I think I still have  25 metal backplates  in stock   Curtiss  does not make anything as far as backplates  go

Randy

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 07:26:16 PM »
Hi Allen   if you have metal use it, if you only have  plastic, use it with silicone sealant and  blue locktight,
I think I still have  25 metal backplates  in stock   Curtiss  does not make anything as far as backplates  go

Randy

Randy, Did Curtis quit making back plates for the LA 25's and 35-46's? If so, when? I'm glad I got 4 of them when I did!

Cheers, Jerry

PS: It was $4 shipping for up to 4 BP's. That's why I bought 4!

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 10:10:45 PM »
Randy, Did Curtis quit making back plates for the LA 25's and 35-46's? If so, when? I'm glad I got 4 of them when I did!

Cheers, Jerry

PS: It was $4 shipping for up to 4 BP's. That's why I bought 4!

Hi Jerry

Yes  months back  he  made his  last run, That is what he told me  directly

Regards
Randy

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 12:09:56 PM »
Thanks Randy and Motorman.  For the time being I will go with the plastic one.  I don't fly a lot and it's basically sport flying.  I will soon have more functioning planes and engines that flights that I can do in a summer.  Well, actually not.

Allen

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here