News:

• April 19, 2024, 09:02:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clunk tank plumbing question  (Read 892 times)

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Clunk tank plumbing question
« on: December 26, 2017, 06:51:52 PM »
I have the Sullivan plastic clunk tank with 1 line to pressure and the other line with the clunk to the carb. I would like to use the other hole for a refueling line but how do you make the hole in the rubber stopper for it? I am also going to change all the brass lines to copper to prevent fuel contamination issues. Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Clunk tank plumbing question
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 06:59:39 PM »
I have the Sullivan plastic clunk tank with 1 line to pressure and the other line with the clunk to the carb. I would like to use the other hole for a refueling line but how do you make the hole in the rubber stopper for it? I am also going to change all the brass lines to copper to prevent fuel contamination issues. Tim

The stopper should have a hole molded most of the way through -- Look on both sides, one should show two holes, the other, three.  I just push a tube through, being careful that I'm not going to impale my hand on the tube when the rubber gives way.

You could sharpen the tube, or poke the hole with an ice pick or xacto knife.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 07:00:46 PM »
My favorite way to punch a new hole in the rubber stopper is with another little section of the brass tube. Stick it in your cordless drill. Slowly sharpen the ID of the tube with a #11 blade (preferably one that you're about to throw out). Gently tighten the stopper assembly to where it cap is just barely touching the rubber stopper. Not compressing it. Drill through the stopper with your new tube cutter bit. It'll basically Core sample the stopper. Then use copper for the tubes if you'd like.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 07:11:41 PM »
My favorite way to punch a new hole in the rubber stopper is with another little section of the brass tube. Stick it in your cordless drill. Slowly sharpen the ID of the tube with a #11 blade (preferably one that you're about to throw out). Gently tighten the stopper assembly to where it cap is just barely touching the rubber stopper. Not compressing it. Drill through the stopper with your new tube cutter bit. It'll basically Core sample the stopper. Then use copper for the tubes if you'd like.

If it's a stopper with a partially molded hole, you can do that without the drill -- just put the stopper down on a wood block and rap the end of the tube with another wood block.

But really, where's the fun if your shop activity doesn't give you even a slim chance of visiting the nice nurses at the local ER?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 07:14:23 PM »
But really, where's the fun if your shop activity doesn't give you even a slim chance of visiting the nice nurses at the local ER?

Since I've given up the dirt bikes and BMX racing, this is my only shot.....

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 07:26:19 PM »
If it's a stopper with a partially molded hole, you can do that without the drill -- just put the stopper down on a wood block and rap the end of the tube with another wood block.

If it's a partially molded hole, what I do is just push a piece of tube through the stopper so that the rubber covering the hole stretches, then use an X-Acto knife to press around the stretched out rubber and it separates into a nice clean hole.

Mark

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 04:28:24 PM »
Added the third tube to fill with. I used a bottle to make my bends and Tim was right about the molded hole almost all the way through the rubber stopper. I sharpened one end of the tube and pushed it through easily. This forum  rocks! Thanks to everyone for the help. Happy New Year, Tim (the other Tim) Lol
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here