News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:31:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Johnson 35 SS too sensitive to models pitch angle.  (Read 721 times)

Offline Brian Courtice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Johnson 35 SS too sensitive to models pitch angle.
« on: July 10, 2022, 10:40:48 AM »
Runs very rich (too rich to be useful) with aircraft level. Instantly revs up as nose goes up, and gets leaner as angle increases. Over rich and dies with any down pitch.
Literally runs like a throttled rc engine, using pitch angle for throttle control.

The tank is built into the fuse(no hatch), but I'm thinking maybe a tank issue?

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Johnson 35 SS too sensitive to models pitch angle.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 10:53:26 AM »
Runs very rich (too rich to be useful) with aircraft level. Instantly revs up as nose goes up, and gets leaner as angle increases. Over rich and dies with any down pitch.
Literally runs like a throttled rc engine, using pitch angle for throttle control.

The tank is built into the fuse(no hatch), but I'm thinking maybe a tank issue?

Some of the experts will know for sure, but I think your venturi might be to big.

Good luck, Jerry

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 12:38:13 PM »
I agree with Jerry, but I suggest you trade that engine to a collector for two or three good stunt engines.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 12:52:18 PM »
The Johnson SS (Stunt Supreme) isn't like any valuable collector's item.  They were well-built, and Hi Johnson took the Orwick numbers and produced a nice stunt engine.  The engine has a good, strong fuel draw, so run problems likely to be with the tank and not engine.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2022, 04:59:33 PM »
If it's actually a 35SS it's built on the large shaft case. It should have an insert in the venturi and a .157" spray bar. if the insert is missing or a smaller spray bar ws installed it will greatly effect the fuel draw. The stock engine as built has plenty of suction and should run in a strong two/four. A leaking backplate gasket will also reduce fuel draw. They were never the big rage for stunt and vibrate quite a bit. If it's in good shape you can probably trade it or sell it and buy a more "stunt" oriented engine that's designed for some type of muffler
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here