News:

• May 09, 2024, 05:31:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Inevitable Mistakes  (Read 732 times)

Offline Leo Mehl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Inevitable Mistakes
« on: June 06, 2007, 05:12:41 PM »
As we grow older we tend to make mistakes and sometimes they become very frustrating. Ha two incedents happen this week to two of my friends. No. 1. One of my friends did a strega arf with a super Tigre 60 in it. The engine did not seem to run right on most of his early flights. On his last flight of the day we could not get te engine to start so we all had solutions. None of these seemed to work so we gave up for the day. WEhen he got home he took engine out of the plane and discovered yhat all the bacplate bolts were loose or completly out. No crankcase vacume. Case no 2. another case where plane is new and everything seemed to be OK. This plane ha a OSLA40 in it and was going to be run on pressere from the muffler. The engine would not hold a steady run when one of the guys noticed the toung muffler was loose. He tightened it down and the problem was solved. I think most of this could have been prevented by bench checkin everything before going to the field. I guess when we get older we think we have done good and don't think we have to check. Lesson No 1 after 60. HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> mw~ mw~ Z@@ZZZ Z@@ZZZ

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: Inevitable Mistakes
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 07:19:47 PM »
Age has nothing to do with it.. Not that this is aimed at anyone but if you have been hanging around flying fields. long enough you notice there are those that seem to never have any trouble and those that are always having some sort of issue  ;D

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 02:04:39 AM »
Hi all.
I flew ALL my 1994 Spanish Nats with my Merco 35 misfiring due to the same cause...... I discovered it back at home.
Lucky that even misfiring, the 32 Oz plane was hauled relatively OK......and obviously was this year excuse for my final position...HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!
Regards.
Manuel.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 09:52:37 AM »
Not only PA.  I had an engine "teched" after a racing NATS top three, head and backplate removed.  The next two times I tried to run it, it wouldn't start, switched engines both times.  Finally checked the head and back plate bolts, guess what!  DUUUHHHHHH!
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 10:23:22 AM »
Age has nothing to do with it.. Not that this is aimed at anyone but if you have been hanging around flying fields. long enough you notice there are those that seem to never have any trouble and those that are always having some sort of issue  ;D

That is so true!!! Even when I was young right to the present, some guys were always having problems and some cats just flew.  You hit the nail on the head with that one. #^
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Peter Anglberger

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 09:07:01 PM »
One of my club mates, Maris Dislers has good advice: heed the "5P's":
 or "Prior Preparation Prevents @#$% Poor Performance" I wasn't sure whether the 3rd word is too rude to print out in full, but I suspect not as people have been talking about 'wankers' on the forum.

Peter

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 06:14:25 PM »
"Prevents" is not a problem. "Wankers" are rotary engines, right? LL~  LL~ LL~ LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 10:04:49 PM »
Actually I believe it all has to do with moon phases........ just like the tides.......

S?P  LL~ LL~   HH%%  H^^
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here