News:

• May 06, 2024, 10:28:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine Problems  (Read 1080 times)

Mike Griffin

• Trade Count: (0)
Engine Problems
« on: April 21, 2015, 06:20:57 PM »
I am posting this for afellow club member who is not on the forum.  Keep in mind I have not seen his set up.  Just looking for some help for him because I am not an engine guru.

He has put 3 engines on his test stand and the only way he can keep them running is placing his thumb over the Venturi .  Once he removes his thumb the engine dies.  Since it is more than one engine that does this, I am thinking maybe the tank is not in the right place.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Mike

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Engine Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 06:29:27 PM »
That could be it (tank height) or check the clunk! for clogging. Chances are that test stand has been sitting around for a while.
Does it have a filter?
Is it vented?
Back flush the entire feed line and vent.
Hope this helps.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 06:35:58 PM »
Tank too low or needle turned in too far.  What are the engines?    Combat pressure engines will not run with out choking down the venture or putting them on pressure.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 05:59:16 PM »
I am posting this for afellow club member who is not on the forum.  Keep in mind I have not seen his set up.  Just looking for some help for him because I am not an engine guru.

He has put 3 engines on his test stand and the only way he can keep them running is placing his thumb over the Venturi .  Once he removes his thumb the engine dies.  Since it is more than one engine that does this, I am thinking maybe the tank is not in the right place.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Mike

Most basically, restricting the air coming in with no other changes and the engines runs means he has a very, very lean mixture.

With the tank full and the carb/venture end of the fuel line well below tank level, will fuel freely gravity drain? If it doesn't, as already pointed out, clean/flush fuel tank and lines.
When the engine is running, are any air bubbles visible in the fuel line? I just has a brand new Sullivan tank/line with a micro pin hole in it, drawing air.
Can you blow air or force fuel through the needle/spraybar with whatever method used to fill the tank?

And my last idea: Having just run 3 different engines on a test stand, each with it's own run issues, I found 2 with mis-installed spray bars. Most have a single hole which MUST be 90 degrees to the airflow (or reasonably close). Any other position reduces the pressure differential reducing fuel flow.
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 08:34:54 PM »

It's obviously not drawing fuel, or is drawing air. It's pretty hard to get the tank too low to even run, but its possible. I would treat it just like an airplane run issue - check that the fuel line is clear, the filter is clean, the pickup inside the tank is hooked up correctly, and that the vents are clear. Also check the spraybars and clean them - if there is some crud in the system it could have clogged all of them up.

Brett

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 10:41:54 PM »
Duff Fuel .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here